• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stuyvesant: I don't remember either, actually. I'm sure I must have had what seemed like a good reason at the time but I don't remember what it was. So I was pretty guarded about saying anything about it. Checking HoI3 right now, it improves ambush and reduces HQ supply consumption. :p

Baltasar: No admission of inferiority! :mad: But seriously, nah. I've never really payed attention to my air forces in any of my games, this probably won't be much of an exception. :p

No admission at all, just a temporary addition to the Italian forces until Il Duce can find something more useful to produce. Air power can, if nothing else, motivate the Legio... err... men.

In HOI3 I find airpower more of a pain to deal with that it is worth for me. In HOI2 I had tons of airpower and was easy enough to deal with that I loved it. My airforce won most of my wars for me. Now I make a few intercepters as germany and leave it at that. Same for japan. Of course I make carriers, but those are easyer to deal with...

Myth I love this AAR. You have opened my eyes a ton to a number of strats!

I'm really excited to see what the USSR does. It would be unfortunate if you were defeated by them and that forced a premature ending of the AAR. It would be strange as iirc that happened to you in Bayonets Made of Milk(or did that happen to discomb?) Anyway I'm glad you are not getting over agressive as that is a mistake I most likely would have made if I were in that position.

Jemisi: Well they're all worth something. It's just a question of whether or not their worth is relevant to me. :p

Baltasar: My industry will never lack for things to build even without airplanes! ;)

AreoHotah: I never really bothered with air power at all, ever. And glad that I could be of such help! :D

EvilFishtank: Yeah, I was on the way to being beaten down very badly in BMoM by the Soviets (I had played a few months ahead of when we stopped as we stopped 'cause of Discomb rather than me, and things were beginning to get quite grim). Discomb, on the other hand, was being beaten down by the USA in Florida and the Carolinas. :p

Okay, so today is the second gap day. I'll have an update for tomorrow evening!

Jemisi: We're all a bit obvious every now and then. :D

I'll have an update for tonight! Hopefully. :p

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 13: Littoral Expeditions I, June 15 – August 31, 1941

With the fronts against the Soviets holding, and with little in the way of Soviet attempts to break through except in Anatolia, Mussolini looked elsewhere for offensive action against his enemies. He wished to keep them off balance and prevent them from effectively marshalling forces against the borders of his empire. While, as seen previously, he had begun a process of reinforcing the fronts against the Soviet armies, this was primarily seen as a defensive measure, at least for the moment. It was to prevent the Soviets from achieving success, but not to achieve Italian offensive victories in turn. Not yet, certainly.

In Mid-June, Mussolini thus turned to events in Africa. In his mind, he was already renewing the assault upon his main enemy: the maritime power of the British Empire. The British were beginning to nibble at the edges of his domain in Africa, particularly the borders of his client state of Abyssinia. In the absence of a greater front with Britain, he determined that Italy would pursue a strategy of limited liability in Africa. Drawing from the writings of Basil Liddell Hart and his invention of the so-called ‘British way of warfare,’ Mussolini deemed that dedicating a handful of formations and Da Zara’s fleet to the struggle in Africa would either tie up inordinately large amounts of British resources or allow for the destruction of discrete British formations. The first step toward this goal was reactivating Dall’Ora’s corps as an offensive force, albeit with a limited goal. As mentioned in the previous chapter, it had left Khartoum in British hands. This is significant as Khartoum had Sudan’s only airfield, and was the only one in the region save for a minor Italian airfield in Eritrea at Ed. Taking it would prevent the British from flying warplanes over the skies of the theater. Once the city was captured, it only made sense to push the defensive front up further to create a coherent front again.

072-01-AdvancinginAfrica.jpg

Dall’Ora advancing to a new defensive line in Sudan, one that included Khartoum.

This minor push was succeeded in early July by the next mission for the marine corps: the conquest of British Somaliland. Its conquest by marines would accomplish a number of results. Firstly, it would deny the British an African port whose future significance logistically may be considerable. Secondly, it would deny the British a base for future operations, both on land and on sea. Thirdly, the British had two formations in the region to strike at Abyssinia from the northeast, even as other British forces attacked from the west and southwest. The British were stretching Abyssinia’s defensive forces and confusing them as to where the main British effort was. Successful invasion would remove this northeastern threat and also lead to the destruction of minor British formations. Thus, by the 6th of July, the Italian marines under Re and Lisi landed at the undefended city of Berbera, covered by Da Zara’s fleet. At Berbera was Britain’s only port in Somaliland. This one landing cut British logistics into the region and effectively doomed their efforts.

072-02-LandinginSomaliland.jpg

The marines landing in Somaliland.

And then, Lisi and Re waited. They waited for most of the month of July, purely for logistical reasons. A month gave the marines a large stockpile of supplies in Berbera, and ravaged the two British divisions which were not receiving supplies of any sort during this period. This was a canny move, given that the British formations both contained armored formations which could no doubt under normal circumstances outmaneuver and outfight marine regiments in a stand-up fight. However, by the 29th Lisi deemed that it was time to finally go onto the offensive, and perhaps he did not wish to strain Mussolini’s patience too long. His plan was simple: he would send his headquarters into the undefended deserts, while Re would attack the British in Hargeysa. This would isolate one British division in conquered Abyssinian territory where it could be picked apart by the Abyssinian formations around it, and hopefully would force the other to retreat in that direction as well. If not, the marines would chase the British until there was nothing left of their unit but a trail of wrecked armor.

072-03-TakingSomaliland.jpg

The first step of Lisi’s plan to take Somaliland.

The British could not stand up against the Italians without supplies. Disorganized by a near month of strict rationing of food, ammunition and fuel Hargeysa could not be defended even though the British front was twice as wide as that of the marines and, in normal circumstances, could have easily boxed the Italians in a tactical encirclement. In the event, the British resisted for a week and a half and inflicted more casualties than they took. The British also failed to retreat into Abyssinia, but instead opted for withdrawal into the southern tracts of Somaliland. In a normal situation this would have been sensible, but instead they were merely prolonging their own agony. The marines thus had to chase them all the way through the deserts of Somaliland until they reached the far eastern coast, where finally the British were trapped against the sea and definitively destroyed. By this time, the Abyssinians had also dealt with the British formation in their territory.

072-04-SomalilandFinalBattle.jpg

The final battle of the Somaliland campaign.

The campaign was a success in Mussolini’s application of Liddell Hart’s concepts, which in any event ran largely parallel to his own. It resulted in the British loss of a port, in the loss of two British divisions, both of which included armored formations, and also resulted in Da Zara preying upon some minor British shipping that happened to blunder into the war zone, perhaps to extract the British armor. Two flotillas of transport ships were sunk. This was hardly as great wound on the British, but it kept Italian sailors and aviators sharp. Mussolini was pleased enough with this operation to authorize more, and to aid in this endeavor he was sending the newly completed second Italian marine division southward through the Red Sea to Berbera.

Nice expansion in Africa, indeed. I always got supply problems while going south. Usually, supply depot for all Italian troops iin Africa is at Kafr el Sheik, close to Alexandria. That means a long distance, but your units look strong and healthy! :D

Do you plan to annex South Africa too? :rolleyes:

Good job using those Marines to pick away at the British!

I'm interested to Hear exactly what your Abyssinian Puppet has been doing all this time, and what you are going to do with it, once things have cleared up.

Am I going crazy or is the name of the Medium Tank unit called the 1st Inf (Infantry?) Brigade?

It is a medium tank unit, right?... not insane or anything.:rolleyes::D

It has four width--perhaps it was originally a light (notice the lack of the vertical bar on the left) tank brigade and two infantry brigades, and it took the name of the infantry brigade when it got merged.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That seems likely. Haven't been able to play lately due to some tech problems with the game.

Freezing when trying to build things on the production screen.

O yes, Good going so far.

What are you waiting for before you push for an offensive against the Soviets?
I'm curious.

Could some pictures be posted to show how Germany and other powers are doing?

Good way of using your strengths (control of the seas, giving you mobility) to counter the British strength (armor, particularly). A small operation, compared to the Soviet theater, but definitely very successful.

Gladiator: It all depends. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: They've not been doing anything. Just building up the a small army you see in a couple of the screenshots. :p

coolluigi007: Yes, at least I'm doing something somewhere. ;)

Nazaroth: I think Evil4Zerggin's got it. Or maybe the British are trying some form of tactical deception. :D

Evil4Zerggin: Do medium tanks have a vertical bar on the left? :p

Nazaroth: Don't have any screenshots of other powers except the worldwide end of year screenshot. As for what I'm waiting for--a larger army and a strategic rationale to do so. ;)

Jemisi: Hopefully, yeah. :p

Stuyvesant: A very small operation. But those are always good. :D