• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You just ripped them apart, didn't you? I guess that the multiple fronts and rapid pace of your advacne was just too much for the AI to handle.

I'm impressed how quickly you managed to turn this potential disaster (the Spanish entry into the war) into a situation that's wholly under control.

Any lessons learned that you can apply elsewhere? Or are your next targets *cough*Soviet Union*cough* too different for this exercise to matter?

The funny thing about fighting Nationalist spain as Italy is that some of your commanders are probably fighting... themselves :p. Nat Spain starts off with a bunch of clones of Italian commanders like Gambara, and they don't go away when the SCW ends :p.

Sokraates: Hehe, which daft acts? :D

coolluigi007: Completing the work I've begun. ;)

Gen. Hillier: What I can do depends on how the Spanish react. Though interestingly, it seems like I've annexed the bits I had taken before (you'll notice in screenshots that they're now solid, whereas everything else is stripey). :p

Maj. von Mauser: Hehe, competitive spirit is always good. ;)

Palm: Psh, soldiers are soldiers. They fought. That's optimal enough. ;)

EvilFishtank: Yep I'm commanding them. I only had the AI command them in Abyssinia (hence the Generals' War). ;)

delra: It's probably because my earlier conquests completely alienated them. :p

Stuyvesant: The Soviet Union's not a target! :p

quetzilla: Hehe that may be true, though I never noticed it. :p

I'll have an update for tonight, guys!

delra: It's probably because my earlier conquests completely alienated them. :p

Yes and no. There is something odd there, geared towards the player. I modded the game for my Italian campaign, so that SPR would DoW Italy for its hostile acts (i.e. take the support SPA decision). As a result, SPA is moving away from the Axis with 75 points because I puppeted SPR! No amount of influencing could stop that.

I forgot to comment out the line when I started my Japan campaign. Like you (and unlike me) AI Italy annexed the territories it gained in that free war. However, Nationalist Spain is actually moving towards the Axis in the diplomatic triangle.

It might have to do with who controls the ex-SPR territories, the AI or human.

Yes and no. There is something odd there, geared towards the player. I modded the game for my Italian campaign, so that SPR would DoW Italy for its hostile acts (i.e. take the support SPA decision). As a result, SPA is moving away from the Axis with 75 points because I puppeted SPR! No amount of influencing could stop that.

I forgot to comment out the line when I started my Japan campaign. Like you (and unlike me) AI Italy annexed the territories it gained in that free war. However, Nationalist Spain is actually moving towards the Axis in the diplomatic triangle.

It might have to do with who controls the ex-SPR territories, the AI or human.

It has nothing to do with AI vs human -- SPA has cores on SPR territory, so SPA will move away from any faction that SPR is in, multiplied by how many cores SPR has (probably a lot). The same thing happens in 1.3 if Japan is in axis and puppets Shanxi -- Nationalist China will skyrocket over to the Allies in a few months.

and so any though of a Spanish threat to the Mediterranean was immediately abolished and annihilated by Mussolini's wonderful army of Rome...what will be next...

portugal looks mighty tasty :)

@ Quetzilla, don't forget the other comparison:
- Myth's Italy annexed the SPR territories, and SPA eventually defected to the Allies, and DoW'ed him, as above.
- In my Japan campaign, AI Italy annexed the SPR territories, yet AI Nationalist gravitating towards AI Germany & AI Italy.

This last case is contradictory to both Myth's and my Italian campaigns.

Of course, other weird things are happening in that game too. The USA was drifting away from the Allies because of the threat they posed...

So it was faction member having our cores penalty to drift that caused this. I have to start messing with SPR more often then...

In my Italy game that's made it to '42 now, the Nationalists havered on the junction of Axis and Allies, drifting everso marginally towards the Axis. No one had laid a finger on Spanish territory (SCW fired way before I had low enough neutrality to jump in), but Italy was the highest threat to Spain for a long time. I never noticed either side inflencing them. They kept refucing me access to Gib, though, so I had to bash their heads in in the end.

The Year Italy Joined the World War
Part 16: Conclusion

059-01-BigMap.jpg

Europe, North Africa and Central and South Asia on the New Year.

my italian campaign looked almost exactly like this in 1941, except (surprisingly) Germany executed a successful sea lion campaign and now only the Irish stand against them on the main British Isles.. of course GB hasn't surrendered., just moved their capital. the US has not entered the war as yet.

in mine its now 1944 and after a long campaign, I have conquered India and Siam who joined the allies and attacked me.

in '42 , while fighting Siam and cleaning up in india, Russia DOWed germany, then a week later Italy. I have 2 fronts open with the Bear: 1 in eastern Europe and 1 in turkey. we made initial gains in East Europe and a lot of ground in turkey, but then started getting pushed back on all fronts.. i FINALLY was able to get enough troops transferred back to europe to start fighting back, and encircling small pockets of Russians. we currently have pushed our way to just past odesa in the east and within 4 or 5 provinces towards stalingrad on the turkish front. its a good thing germany is strong though or I would be getting decimated lol.

anyway my point is, be VERY wary of the comintern as you move forward. ;)

oh and great AAR your making here. :)

Last edited:
anweRU: I had to read that a few times to follow it! :wacko: Which must mean that there's something strange going on! :p

Baltasar: I try. :D

quetzilla: As anweRU points out, that doesn't seem sufficient. Hmm...:wacko:

GrenadierSchube: Well, I could use Portugal as a partial buffer state...;)

anweRU: It probably has something to do with threat. For the longest time, I was Spain's biggest threat. Maybe the AI Italy worked to reduce its threat, particularly vis-a-vis Spain?

delra: You want to provoke war with Spain? :D

womble: The ironic part of all this is that as I waged war against Spain I had military access through their territory. :D Come to think of it, that may have been what buggered up my ability to order units deeper than one province into Spain at a time...:p

Jrog: Hehe awesome. Also, as that ancient Roman proverb states: beware bears, particularly those that are red. Well, there really isn't such a proverb, but it's true nonetheless. ;) Also, thanks! :D

Update coming up!

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 5: Operation Valeria Victrix IV, March 23 – April 6, 1941

This period saw the end of Operation Valeria Victrix, as the Spanish state collapsed from the pressure of a continuous string of defeats and the shame and shock of being conquered. Italian strategy, however, was supple enough to deal with the absorption of Spain as a buffer zone and Mussolini was untroubled by the resultant increase in territory and, more importantly, coastline.

The fighting for Madrid was difficult. Despite their greatly inferior numbers, the Spaniards fought for every street and plaza in the city. By the 26th, Aymonnino had brought up reinforcements, and borrowed formations from other nearby corps as well. This was not a reaction to the Spanish resistance, however. It was merely doctrine to concentrate for battle, Aymonnino could certainly have won with the original two or three divisions he had brought to the city and its environs. However, there was some political pressure percolating downward from Mussolini in Rome through the chain of command until it reached him, concerning preventing the Germans from taking overly much of the peninsula. What they had taken was already quite enough, Mussolini believed. In addition to doctrine, it was in pursuit of achieving this goal of limiting their advance that Aymonnino brought in the reinforcements he did. Thus by the 26th, four Italian divisions were actively participating in the battle and another two were being held in reserve. This resulted in four-to-one odds against the Spanish. The battle would end within three days, with some of the most lopsided significant casualty counts seen during the war: a bare mark over one hundred Italian dead versus nearly seven hundred Spanish casualties. This, in an urban battle where the Spanish were the defenders, no less.

064-01-BattleforMadridContinues.jpg

The battle for Madrid on the 26th.

The delay imposed by the sturdy Spanish defense of their capital cost the Italians a week, allowed the Spanish government to escape to its secondary capital at Vallodolid and let the Spanish army to reform a frontline to some slight semblance of order and coherence. This may have been the influence of the British, however, for it was in a battle at Avila on the 30th, behind Madrid, that Italian troops for the first time fought British soldiers in theater, under the command of a British general. It during this battle that Italian soldiers in Madrid were bombed by the Spanish air force, which the Italians learned through signals intelligence was commanded by a German air force officer, on loan to the Spanish! The discovery of von Richthofen led to a minor diplomatic spat between Italy and Germany, though in practical terms von Richthofen’s actions in Spain were negligible. Also during this time Mussolini placed a premium on reaching Vallodolid before the Germans, though the Italians in Madrid were twice as far away as the Germans were. This desire to prevent the Germans from stealing more territory was becoming blatant. By the 4th of April, however, the Germans had failed to push forward despite a relative dearth of Spanish resistance on their front while the Italians had pushed against the stronger portion of the Spanish front and but was already on the verge of entering the city.

064-02-MovingonNewCapital.jpg

Italian formations moving on the new Spanish capital and generally pushing northward.

Vallodolid fell on the 5th. The Spanish government fled to London to persist in exile. The army refused to accept the fall of their country and also remained in being, though scattered across the northwest of the country, under British commanders. It would take another two weeks to clean up these remnants, but they were all swept up in the end. While the Balearic Islands remained defiant, and the Spanish colonies fought on, the Second Iberian War, as the Italians proceeded to call it, was essentially at an end. It became merged with the greater struggle of the Allied and the Axis powers over the future of Europe and, indeed, the world. The issue of perspective is well presented by this war; for though the Italians counted it as separate from the greater struggle the British did not. For the Italians, there was a continuity here that traced itself back to 1938 and the Italian intervention during the Spanish Civil War and, given the choice of operational names, a continuity that even stretched back two thousand years to the Roman conquest of Iberia. For the British, on the other hand, this was a one-off policy, an attempt to unbalance the senior Axis partner, Italy, and their part in it could not be seen as separable from their overall struggle. Their two perspectives only come together toward the end, when the British intervene with troops, albeit very weakly, in the last week and then take up command of some resistance after the fall of Vallodolid.

064-03-SpainDoesntSurrender.jpg

Spain, not surrendering to Italy.

As had been hinted above, there had been diplomatic tensions between Rome and Berlin during this period. Hitler conceived of himself as the senior Axis partner, a conception that Mussolini held about himself. Italy thus far has steered a largely independent course from its northern neighbor, fighting its own wars and determining when to join in the greater struggle against the Allied powers. This had annoyed Hitler, an annoyance which was only exacerbated by the spat over von Richthofen and the inheritance of northern Spain. He thus perceived of a great way to tie Italian policy to his. Without consulting Rome, he declared war on the Soviet Union in the name of the entire Axis alliance. Mussolini’s first notice of this was when the Soviets began marching into eastern Anatolia and northern Dacia. To make matters even worse, it actually preempted Italy’s capture of Vallodolid and the conquest of Spain by two days.

064-04-Bollocks.jpg

This news did not make Mussolini happy.

Thus did one crisis end, seeing a temporary reappraisal of Italian strategy away from having a buffer state in between it and the Allies toward simply having a buffer zone, but another and undoubtedly greater crisis had begun. Indeed, it was likely to be a crisis for Germany as well, with its army either in Iberia on en route back to Germany from Scandinavia. They likely did not have much on their eastern borders either.

Mussolini always was aware that his troops were spread thin and Anatolia had been conquered as a buffer zone in the first place, for a defense in depth. Russian forces can be contained in the region by simplyblocking the Dardanelles. Once Anatolia has been overrun, the Italians can land in strength, cut the former Turkey in two, thus hopefully trapping a considerable ammount of Red Army formations and depriving them of supplies.

The question is, what will Mussolini do? Is he willing to temporarily sacrifice a province to lure the Red tide in? Does he even have enough boots on the groud to pull this stunt of while he must defend his other provinces as well?

So now Hitler has loaned Officers to Bomb the Italians! He is blatantly trying to hinder your plans!:mad:

And now the moron goes and declares war on the largest nation on the world. Well, good luck, and may you take Stalingrad before the Germans do! While I anticipate most of Turkey falling before you are able to right the situation, I think Germany will lose much more important territory, and who knows if Hitler can right that situation...

Ohh it's a "Merry Christmas" from Stalin! :D

So you got a naval quest against the Med fleet, and the decisive WW2 war against Soviets now. I hope Wermacht is in good shape, as you need German help to survive in that situation. A huge front for your armies!

Whoops! While the Dardanelles would make a nice bottleneck, it's kinda irrelevant, as long as the Russians can come in through Romania...

However, if the German AI is competent (who knows? It could happen...), maybe this is a boon, in the longer run. Create a megapocket in the Balkans and let the Germans trap the Russians by cutting through to the Crimean peninsula!

Short of those pipe dreams, what are your actual plans? :)

You've been very prolific Myth since the last time I checked in, though that's no surprise. Mussolini's done quite well for himself it seems; Italy is definitely dominant in the Med, it will be interesting to see where you choose to expand next. And I'm glad that Spain joined the Allies so that you can finally resolve the ugly border issues the Italian Iberian enclave created.

Hopefully Germany can handle the Soviets and quickly, it would be terrible if the the Reds are able to capitalize on catching your forces out of position by advancing deep into Turkey and/or the Balkans.