• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
womble: Thanks! At the moment my officer ratio is about 113%. Didn't know there were bonii for having a better ratio, only that there were penalties for having a worse one. And as Baltasar mentioned, I'm using 1.3 (albeit will begin with 1.4 RC11 with 1944). :p
Well, I first heard folks banging on about the benefits of 200% officer ratio well before 1.4 was on the cards, at least in regard to the attack delay reduction, and I'm pretty sure the ORG and Morale bonuses were touted, too. But they certainly work in 1.4; my '42-tech Infantry brigades have over 100 ORG. They're just little Duracell bunnies.

FrodoB: Well it's not quite what the Soviets experienced. I was much more competent than they're being. ;)

Enewald: What strategic retreat? I haven't started retreating yet! And the problem with stopping is that there was never any place to stop. I'd have been in just about the same situation on line from the Hungarian border to the Adriatic or Ionian Seas containing Belgrade, just with a bit more unit density, but not enough to make a difference and with Soviet forces in better shape on the whole. And forts would take way too long to build. :p

ColossusCrusher: Where to stop is always the main problem. I need to create sufficient density to deter the Soviets from attacking, 'cause once they do they'd probably break through and then the game's up. :p

BlitzMartinDK: What would I gain from attacking Istanbul? ;)

womble: Well that just confirms what I'll be doing anyway starting with 1944. ;)

Beppo: Probably wouldn't accomplish much, given how many Soviet divisions are now pouring into the theater. :p

Jemisi: Hehe yes indeed. :p

Hmm.. Actually Beppos words held merit. If you had landed some units in southern Turkey and Sevastopol as well you might have been able to keep the Soviets reeling and distracted from pulling their forces together against your main advance.

Like, one division in Turkey and one in Crimea, running around to make the AI create fronts and fill them with units. That could have paid much greater dividends than the forces used, and meant that your naval forces had something to do. (Be on standby to evacuate the expeditionary force)

But I suppose that might be too late now..:p

How are the Germans doing? Has there been any movement on either side?

At this point you might want to consider falling back and trying t create a defensive front. Then if you can afford some troops to move elsewhere try and just start the Germans with an offensive on their eastern front.

Looks like your really going to have to pull off something big here to stop the fall of Italy. Good luck, you’re going to need it.

What of the other things going on? Any naval action or movement on other fronts? How are the Japanese doing?

Well I think this Exploration in Strategy is going to end soon. Pouring so many early resources into building up an impressive Navy is all fine and good, but the land forces development paid for it in the end which contributes to the whole fiasco.

It doesn't help that the lead member of the Axis, Germany, decided to sit and spin when it came to taking on the Bear. I would be really interested to see what kind of fruit the naval strategy would have bore out if Germany had done it's part.

myth said:
FrodoB: Well it's not quite what the Soviets experienced. I was much more competent than they're being.

The difference being that the Soviets can afford a little incompetence, in the long run.:p

And those HQ's will have a hard time containing that bulge while you extracate your northern armies.

Interesting times, indeed.

I take around 4-5ish flights a year. But they tend to be vacations.;)

AARwise, this dosen't look very good! Is this the first division you have had destroyed?

When the Germans sort themselves out (After that ridiculous mass troop movement, they'd be lucky to have a drop of fuel left), things may improve. If the soviets have sent a fair few divisions your way from the German front, the Germans may work up the courage to attack!

Nikolai II: Yeah, just a bit too late. ;)

Lordban: Seems so! :p

BlitzMartinDK: For EiS I play the game in time spans of a year. So in-game it's January 1, 1944 right now. I've not played '44 yet though. :p

Jonny5tyle: The Germans haven't budged, of course. I'm still fighting against the British in Africa, there'll be an update on that later. The Japanese have been hiding on their islands for the past five or six years. :p

starko: Yeah me too, but Germany's worthless despite this being its own war. As for EiS finishing soon, well we'll see. ;)

FrodoB: Shit HQs are worthless for combat so their version of containment will be running the hell away. :D

Maj. von Mauser: Yep, my very first. :p

LOLKATS: You're quite the optimist. I'll tell you now, it ain't gonna happen. Germany's far too inert. ;)

Update tomorrow hopefully! My first two exams are Tuesday and Thursday so I may or may not have the time or inclination to write anything before they're done, but we'll see. Hopefully. :p

No hope for a peace deal, I presume...?;)

After a long absence, followed by two nights of frantic reading, I'm now up to page 105. So hopefully, I'll catch up some time in the coming week.

Interesting back and forth in the Balkans, though I don't yet know how that counterstrike in Illyria ended up.

Nikolai: With the Soviets? Yeah, and next I'll walk to the moon. ;)

Forster: I haven't even had them yet. I'm possibly just too busy studying to write something today. Even garrulous old men like you can't make time. ;)

Tribal: Me? Up to something? I beg your pardon! :eek:

Stuyvesant: Good effort! We won't spoil things for you. ;)

So update maybe tonight! :p

The Year of Returned Hope
Part 11: The Retreat, August 31 – November 10, 1943

Retreating in the face of a superior enemy bearing down upon one’s forces is among the most difficult of military maneuvers. It can also be among the most necessary: fewer things are more wasteful in war than standing in exposed positions needlessly, and paying the price. The commander’s inner eye, his coup d’oeil, must be the judge of the moment to withdraw. There are two basic tendencies in commanders: to be aggressive, and to be defensive. The former concerns what one does to the enemy, and the latter emphasizes what the enemy can do to one’s own forces. The defensive tendency in excess means that the commander rarely manages to impose his will upon the enemy, but can prevent the enemy from imposing his will in turn. Too much aggression, while allowing for the easy imposition of will on a situation, rarely affords the commander the knowledge of boundaries. There comes a time though when even the aggressive tendencies of commanders is overpowered by the necessity of retreat.

And so the retreat began. The Italian position in the Balkans was entirely compromised. The Soviets had torn a hole in the Italian line that stretched from Belgrade to the northern frontier of Greece. Their spearheads were still largely alone and possibly easily isolate-able, however, so Mussolini threw in the reserve he had slowly built up: the new 9a Armata, under General Amedeo Duca degli Abruzzi. His army was not even fully formed yet, and comprised only a single corps of partially unready formations, but to Mussolini it was worth the gamble. They were landed in southern Illyria and began pushing forward in an attempt to get behind one advancing Soviet vanguard infantry formation. At the same time, however, Pintor and Vercellino began withdrawing southward. Vercellino had to disengage Cei’s mobile corps from the superior forces that were engaging it, and Pintor’s army had to evacuate the salient that had formed along the Greek panhandle. The way north was not barred, but unless Amadeo accomplished astonishing success then the closure of the coastal roads was only a matter of time. The two army commanders conferred with each other and with Quilicci, and began withdrawing southward, toward Athens, on the 4th of September.

101-01-RetreatingintoGreece.jpg

Pintor and Vercellino retreating into Greece.

Within a week, by the 11th, it was obvious that Amadeo’s nascent army could not accomplish what was expected, much less hoped, of it. The Soviets managed to bring up sufficient forces in time to deny Amadeo the opportunity to do more than simply threaten the Soviet spearheads with temporary discomfort and minor, meaningless bloodshed. Amadeo’s 9a Armata thus began withdrawing northward, along with the corps and army headquarters of Graziani’s and Bastico’s armies. They were preparing for the return of their corps and armies to their old lines of defense in northern Illyria. The five Italian armies in the southeast of Europe were being split apart, with three in the northern corner and two in its southern reaches.

101-02-RetreatingUpIllyria.jpg

The retreat of various headquarters, and Amadeo’s 9a Armata, northward back up Illyria.

The real withdrawal of the northern armies began three days later, on the 14th. If the Soviets had had mobile forces in the north of the gap they had torn, and the will to use them in deep operations which would have to be assumed given their successes thus far, they could have drastically interfered with the withdrawal of the twenty-two divisions from the frontlines in Dacia. Fortunately for the Italians, these hypothetically-placed Soviet forces remained so. Despite the relatively narrow and vulnerable gap the Italians had to squeeze through, there were no Soviet forces in place to deny them transit. The Italians would pass the plausible gauntlet, and reform their armies in the north.

101-03-RetreatingfromDacia.jpg

The retreat of the frontline units of Graziani’s and Bastico’s armies from Dacia.

In the south, the Soviets had kept up the pressure, which they had failed to do in the north. On the 12th of September, five fresh Soviet divisions, including two marine formations, attacked three Italian divisions. These Italian divisions, though in good condition, immediately disengaged and continued their withdrawal southward. Five Soviet divisions amounted to fifteen brigades, as opposed to the six that the Italians could possibly field in that fight. Soviet numbers had been dramatically demonstrated. Three days later, on the 15th, the first evacuations began from Athens: the headquarters units of Vercellino’s army. By this day, the Soviets had reached the Adriatic Sea, and thus officially cut the two armies in Greece off from those in the north. Italian transports were there, however, to rescue the two armies. In three trips, the entirety of the two armies were evacuated from Athens and transported northward to the port at Zadar.

101-04-EvacuatingGreece.jpg

An early trip during the evacuation of Greece.

By the 10th of October the old line in Illyria had been reformed and, unlike the first time, the Soviets had quickly closed to bump up against it. Four Italian armies were now stationed on the line, as opposed to the three at the beginning of the year. Amadeo’s army had joined the line, and his army would grow to two corps in the two months to come. The new line was now denser than the old, though this was hardly the objective of the operation. Nevertheless, Italy was possibly safer from invasion at this point than eleven months previously. The Soviets meanwhile, seemed to have bulked up their forces opposite the Italian line by the 10th of November. Perhaps they had learned that the Italians were dangerous, or perhaps Italian intelligence was imagining things, as rough comparisons with intelligence estimates in January seemed to show little change. Nevertheless, there were once again a large number of Soviet divisions a short hop away from Italy, though such a hop was less likely that before.

101-05-BacktotheOldLine.jpg

Back to the old line.

Vercellino’s army, however, was not included in the defensive line. It was instead sent to Taranto, on Italy’s heel. Mussolini had learned from the offensive of the year and was already laying plans for next year. All he needed was time to amass the necessary forces. With the Soviets quiescent in Illyria, this was what he hoped he would get.