• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chattox

Recruit
80 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hi all,
While I realise that exiled mode is story based, are the shards not randomly generated? They seem to be random in terms of topography, but not type. Example: The first gate always links to a death world, which is always in the same position on the overworld map. Is it meant to be fixed? Apologies if I'm being a massive retard and missing something.

Actually, I had a game where the first gate lead to a desert world.

With that said, I have noticed that the first gate will always leads to another Great Mage.

The first gate doesn't always lead to a death world, I've had my fair share of both ice and desert worlds as my second.

It is random. My first playthrough had Snow -> Dead -> Desert for the first three worlds but my last one were all desert for whatever reason. Also, my first playthrough had a lot more portals to optional worlds, while my second one was very linear and I only ended up running into one of the four rival great mages which I thought was very weird. I kept thinking perhaps they died but I couldn't even find portals to reach them. Two drastically different experiences. :)

I have noticed that the first gate will always leads to another Great Mage.

This is actually a big issue when playing duels. Whoever takes control of the 1st world wins the game. You may as well not bother generating other worlds... To resolve this issue we could have:

- randomised world network (not automatically meeting other mages in world 1) or,
- two or more portals from home world

PS: what I call world 1 is in fact the first portal world AFTER the home world.

Modjo

With that said, I have noticed that the first gate will always leads to another Great Mage.
Ummm.. No.
Actually, in my game I've only met another great mage on tier 4 shard, before entering mirror world :) Thanks to randomness portal chain gave me 3 uncontested shards.

Interesting Megusta.
I've had all 8 games I started in exiled mode where I ran into another great mage from world 1... it might be a second portal in that world (even a few where they were literaly on an tiny island in a corner), but they were always there.

First portal led to a dessert for me, Which contained no sign of a great mage untill I opened another portal and a squad of warriors gets ported on top of a pillar surrounded by chasms(turn 350, warriors still firmly on that pillar). So I think the game is semi-random and chooses from a set of predetermined pools of world types as to what world you will encounter when.

My experience with this has been that if you use the maximum number of mages for the map size you're on, the first portal you enter will always be to a shard connected directly to an AI mage's home shard, and since they seem to rush portals with a speed I would describe as "reckless," he or she will be there when you arrive. As you scale back the number of opponents though, this chance seems to decrease. By the time you're on Huge with one opponent, I've never met the other guy on the first shard out. I haven't started a large number of games, so consider this anecdotal, but if it fits your experience too then maybe there is something to it.

Ummm.. No.
Actually, in my game I've only met another great mage on tier 4 shard, before entering mirror world :) Thanks to randomness portal chain gave me 3 uncontested shards.
That's good news if the worlds are already randomised!

It would still be good to have two portals on the home world to avoid being blockaded if the first world is lost to an enemy player.

Modjo

I actually spent some time earlier just starting and restarting games on exiled mode and running over to the portal to see what the first shard was. Death, every single time. It even has the same great mage in it (the woman that uses undead) each time. :/

I actually spent some time earlier just starting and restarting games on exiled mode and running over to the portal to see what the first shard was. Death, every single time. It even has the same great mage in it (the woman that uses undead) each time. :/

As a semi-programmer, are you doing this from the main menu, or quitting completely out, and coming back in? The seed MAY be generated when the program is run to start with, which may explain those results. Try starting it, quitting out to desktop and coming back in and generating a new world.

I'd say it has to do with 'tier' of worlds. Lunar or lava world is a high tier one so you would find those on third\fourth shard ring. Dead and snow\desert are medium tier with advanced fighters in them so it's much more often to get those as your second shard.

I just had an interesting MP game where my primary world was tundra, and the secondary world (which led to the other player) was desert.

We've only been playing medium-random with 2 players, so the maps seem like they are random.
Of course, the 'other player is always 1 world away' thing seems to apply (excepts in the case of large/huge worlds).

I guess in smaller maps it's just simple math that leads to world 1 being contested. Just not enough worlds. On Large our first game with maxed mages lead to meeting each other only on world 4 or even 5.

They are random, I got Autumn world, Winter one, Normal (Grass), Dessert as starting world.

Same for 2nd shard (The one you access via the portal), couple death worlds, 1 winter (ouch, had the snow queen and 2 groups of archers nearby portal), 1 lava, 1 desert etc.

There seems to be four possible worlds for your starting shard: Snow, Desert, Autumn, Jungle

There seems to be three possible worlds for the 2nd world. Snow, Desert and Death. These are independent of your starting world. I've gone from a snow starting world to a snow 2nd world before.

Every single 3rd world for me has always been tropical, but I'm sure there are alternatives.