• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ragan651

Private
57 Badges
Jul 17, 2012
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines
So my king was excommunicated for some reason, causing the entire kingdom to fall apart. Since he has a chance to reclaim his lands, his excommunication is still a problem. Is there a way to restore his standing with the church?

So my king was excommunicated for some reason, causing the entire kingdom to fall apart. Since he has a chance to reclaim his lands, his excommunication is still a problem. Is there a way to restore his standing with the church?

There are random events that can remove the excommunication for a price.

High piety and good chaplain will help with getting rid of excommunication.

Thanks. It doesn't matter at this point, though. The king died from a battle wound, and his successor ripped the kingdom apart. But next time I'll try to avoid excommunication in the first place, but I don't know how it happened.

Unless it happened through event, then papal controller likely excommunicated you. Been a while since I played CK1, but I think if you had lower piety than the prestige of the pope, then papal controller could excommunicate you.

Thanks. It doesn't matter at this point, though. The king died from a battle wound, and his successor ripped the kingdom apart. But next time I'll try to avoid excommunication in the first place, but I don't know how it happened.

There are random events that may lead to an excommunication depending on your game (DVIP installed?) and your character traits. And the "papal controller" likes to target his enemies and neighbours so try not to share a border with the papal controller if possible - until you have become the papal controller yourself.

Then I suspect it was my war with France that caused it. I'm not sure who the papal controller was, but the French were very eager to overthrow my king's rule and expansion into Europe. In the new game I started, I'm sticking with my own country and not repeating that mistake. I probably angered an ally of the papal controller. I'm still not sure how the papacy works in the game yet.

Papacy 101:
The pope is a big bishop basically.
You can declare war on him, but not ally with him.
The pope succession mechanics are complicated, but are related to both power and relations.
When either the papal controller or the pope dies, a new papal controller is chosen. In crusades, he will be the ruler with the highest piety. Elseways the chap with the best relations gets it.
Don't be rivals with a PC and have low piety.
If you are PC, you can only excommunicate people with a lower piety than the pope has prestige. Heretics can be excommunicated for free
Despite the message box, you cannot call a crusade if you are PC.
If you are excommunicated, and you want to get out of it, do what I sometimes do. Cheat away 1 1/2 Times your gold, putting you in the red. Then set excommunicated = no. Cheating yes, but RP.

After playing more, I got to become papal controller, but I was having problems with excommunicating my enemies. The pope had enough prestige, I could select the excommunication option on them and the person's name was white, but I couldn't click. This happened most of the time. Is there a limit to how many people who can excommunicate in a time frame, or something? The game didn't say, it appeared like I could excommunicate, but clicking did nothing.

After playing more, I got to become papal controller, but I was having problems with excommunicating my enemies. The pope had enough prestige, I could select the excommunication option on them and the person's name was white, but I couldn't click. This happened most of the time. Is there a limit to how many people who can excommunicate in a time frame, or something? The game didn't say, it appeared like I could excommunicate, but clicking did nothing.

AFAIK there is no limit on the number of excommunicatees. Were they title holders? I think they take more to excommunicate, even though it doesn't't say so.

Some of them were. One of them was the King of England. But it wouldn't let me excommunicate anyone in some provinces after my first successful excommunication. It was much later when I was successful at excommunicating the King of Scotland (which is probably why I should never be papal controller).