EU4: 1.36.2 Patch is now LIVE! Checksum [e93d] - Not For Problem Reports!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Contrary to popular believe, all mods work on ironman. But if you change a file which is covered by the checksum, you won't be able to get achievements in the ironman game.
I mean true but if you aren't getting achievements then Ironman just feels kind of pointless

• 1Like
Reactions:
Steam(or whichever store client you use) is overwriting the files and not eu4. The developers can't influence this. If you are using steam, you can disable automatic updates for eu4, so that it only tries to update when you start it.

But editing the game files directly is a bad idea. Why don't you create a mod? Then you can just copy the files which you want to edit into your mod. Your mod won't get overwritten by a game update(as long as you place it in the "mod" folder in the eu4 folder in Documents and not in the folder where eu4 is installed).
If you're doing extensive updates, it's nice to iterate live in the folder at times. I was working on some map mods that added 102 new provinces. That's A LOT of work, and it was gone because I reopened Steam one day. That's a horrible update mechanism. Imagine an OS update that just deleted your desktop files every time it updated.

Reactions:
If you're doing extensive updates, it's nice to iterate live in the folder at times. I was working on some map mods that added 102 new provinces.
I can understand that copying each file into your mod before you edit it can be a little more work, but if you add provinces, you are mostly adding new files and in that case it is the same amount of work for creating the file in the game folder or in the folder of your mod. But even for editing files, it is often better to create a new file which just overrides the part of the file which you want to change instead of overriding all of it. That way you stay compatible with game updates and other mods.

That's A LOT of work, and it was gone because I reopened Steam one day. That's a horrible update mechanism. Imagine an OS update that just deleted your desktop files every time it updated.
Your OS would likely do the same overwriting if you edit the internal files of your OS directly instead of using the override mechanicsm which the OS provides you. But it won't overwrite files on your desktop, because that's a place where the user is supposed to put their files. Likewise the game won't override the files if you put them in "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV" or "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod\yourmod", but steam is free to change the files in the game's installation folder, because steam is given control over them. Though I have not seen that steam deletes extra files and that has created problems for many people, because you can't get achievements if there are extra files in game folders which are used for the checksum calculation

And if you work on something big which you hate to lose, I would recommend doing regular backups in such a way that you can return to multiple older versions of your files). There are many more ways how files can get lost(e.g. ransomware, failing disk, computer gets stolen or destroyed in some way, mistake when editing, deleting the wrong folder, ...) and backups can protect you from them if they are done properly.

Reactions:
Hello everyone! Can someone please shed some light on what is meant by "Roman countries"? Is there a specific culture group? Is there a list of such countries? Many thanks!

Hello everyone! Can someone please shed some light on what is meant by "Roman countries"? Is there a specific culture group? Is there a list of such countries? Many thanks!
Roman is in the Lost Cultures group. When you form Rome, your whole primary culture group is automatically converted to Roman. The entry in the change log refers to Pronoias, a unique subject type remaining available after forming Rome, which previously wasn't the case probably due to an oversight.

Assuming a new major patch is not imminent, another hotfix would be nice. Not counting those that have already been marked as duplicates, I count 7 threads on the bug forum with version 1.36.2 referring to a CTD.

I understand this thread is not for problem reports, but I think it's important to bring this up.

I've posted this elsewhere but 1.36.2 causes a fatal crash for Mac iOS users and some Linux users.

The issue occurs when Byzantium gets annexed with a pronoia (Athens) as identified by @grotaclas.

I have identified that this issue is specific to 1.36.2 and does not occur on 1.36.1.

I have also tested that if you start a game on 1.36.2, cause the crash, revert to 1.36.1 and play again the game won't crash.

In other words, whatever happened specific to the 1.36.2 update is causing the crash as 1.36.1 runs perfectly.

The crash is really bad as it freezes up your entire machine. You cannot alt out of it. You have to force power down your machine.

I know this term is overused in gaming, but this issue makes the game genuinely unplayable for Mac users as the second Byzantium gets annexed the game will crash and you cannot continue no matter what.

I understand that we have had holidays and everyone has been away, but I think it would be really good if Paradox work on a hotfix for this so Mac users can play the most updated version of the game.

I don't think it's cool to leave Mac users hanging.

Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Assuming a new major patch is not imminent, another hotfix would be nice. Not counting those that have already been marked as duplicates, I count 7 threads on the bug forum with version 1.36.2 referring to a CTD.
Now I count 11 bug forum threads about CTDs with 1.36.2, not tagged as duplicates. Perhaps more as there are some with no version data and some from older versions that are not tagged as fixed. I sure hope a hotfix is furiously worked on?

The bug tracking team seems to have relapsed in their tagging. For a while everything got tagged, now there's two pages without tags. So quite likely some of the 11 CTD reports are duplicates. But even one should be enough for a speedy hotfix.

In my opinion CTDs are the most critical things to fix, even more critical than adding a proper pause key. I believe and at least hope that when I've previously stated that I'd gladly give up all other updates for the pause key, the game did not then have CTDs. Others may have different views on the importance pause key issue (or the annoyance of me spamming it), but surely everyone should agree that CTDs are the most important things to fix.