• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(512076)

Private
1 Badges
Jun 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Hi. I know Starvoid is aiming to be a more casual and easy to pick up and play experience, but it seems that longevity of this genre of games is also dictated by its presence in the eSports scene. I guess on a psychological level people play games that are used in eSports because they have far flung dreams that they might become a star and make big $$$ (though 99% won't) - similar to any kid picking up a physical sport. I personally have no desire to play on that competitive level, but it would be good to know that a game that I invest time and money into has a healthy community because of it. For example I bought the excellent tactical game Frozen Synapse... but the player count really plummeted after awhile even though they had features like posting your replay to youtube. I believe a competitive scene would have sustained it.

So will Starvoid eventually implement eSports features (good spectating, replays, tournaments)?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This is a very interesting subject indeed :)

Implementing those features take a lot of time and so does making the game. Our main focus right now lies in making the game. However, many of us making the game are very much interested in eSports and we are always thinking of ways of how to do the game more eSport-y. But for release, our primary focus will still lie in making the game an as good experience for the actual player as possible, and then, based on feedback, we will look into making it much more appealing for the eSports scene. Please share all ideas that you might come up with after testing the game of how to make it more suitable for eSports!

Yeah you are right to focus on making the gameplay as polished as possible first. I will let you know if I have anymore ideas after testing the game - I will try to apply for alpha account but I think my forum account is too new. I'm also in the Dota 2 beta and I will keep tabs on the features they keep adding for eSports to see if any can be translated into Starvoid.

Never heard of this game before but got looking forward to trying the beta anyway always good to see try new games.

The only thing esports needs is the type of gameplay it wants (not too fast, not too slow for example) and really good balance.

Also the drop in any time is against what'd make it a good esport. This would be far more boring to watch that LOL because there aren't significant changes in the game between the 3 and 10 minute mark etc

Last edited: