• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait. Do the British not know about Dreamland?

Yogi: If you don't feel your writing measures up, you could work it up in spurts when time allows and post then instead of trying to beat some "deadline".

I need some clarification

Are the guns not working because of the cold or does a quality of dreamland stop the components of the gunpowder from combusting? Because its materials are not from the same place? Both?
They aren't enchanted and would not hurt anything, but they wouldn't even shoot?

discovery1 said:
Well that's a bummer, and here I was thinking the gateway would be farther north. At least they have lots of pointy objects and are trained how to use them. Is Fu Manchu's old friend still around or has he moved off now that he's no longer trapped in Dreamland?
If you remember, when Fu got the news the Germans were in the Dreamland, he travelled from the Stronghold to the "Shrine of Leng" in a sleigh, implying the gate was not far from the Stronghold. As for the High Priest, who knows where he'll be. It's not impossible he has chosen to stay in his beloved Monastery for now.

Dr. Gonzo said:
*slaps forehead* what a pisser eh? I loved Skorzeny's reaction, brilliant update.

Heaven knows what they'll come across in Leng!
I think Skorzeny has a pretty good idea, hence his reaction. ;)

Lyon_Man said:
The Plateau of LENG?!

And just when you thought it was safe for the good guys...is it just me, or is there a sneaking suspicion that a certain white-haired SS sorcerer may be ready to show up again?

On an unrelated note, if this is the "just OK" style of writing, I don't think any of us would survive reading the really good stuff; honestly, we'd probably die of an overdose of "reading ecstasy" or something!
It might very well be, the Monastery is the most likely place for Duhrn to be kept... and thank you for trying to lift the spirits of a poor writer thorougly unimpressed with himself lately! :(

GeneralHannibal said:
Wait. Do the British not know about Dreamland?
Nope. It's existence is one of the most closely guarded secrets of the Reich. Fah Lo Suee knew from her lover, of course, but kept the secret.

Dinglehoff said:
Yogi: If you don't feel your writing measures up, you could work it up in spurts when time allows and post then instead of trying to beat some "deadline".

I need some clarification

Are the guns not working because of the cold or does a quality of dreamland stop the components of the gunpowder from combusting? Because its materials are not from the same place? Both?
They aren't enchanted and would not hurt anything, but they wouldn't even shoot?
Yeah, I should do that. I suffer from a "condition" that forces me to post something within a few hours of finishing it at most and that doesn't help.

Modern technology doesn't work in the Dreamland - different laws of physics. Guns don't fire, watches don't work etc.

The Yogi said:
Thanks Simon. I thought the word meant more or less "Competent, not spectacular or anything. Just OK". Just a tad better than mediocre.
Nah, it just means "competent," and that's about it. And "competent" doesn't have an upper limit on it.

I think saw the word first used to describe the Third Crusade. Given the less than stellar results of that particular campaign, I guess my mistake was understandable.
Yup.

Perhaps you're right, and it's a matter of tastes. The problem is that when I go back to early updates of EOFM, to MY taste, they're better. There's more colourful description and better character interaction and portrayal, or at least so it seems to me.
I think the problem may be that the plot is starting to run away with you. You've got so much happening that you have to write updates based on action rather than on description and interaction. In which case the story becomes more like an after-action report (in the general sense, not just the Paradox Forum sense), and less like what you want it to be.

I guess there's only one way to find out. I will NOT rush the updates, I will work them over and polish a little bit more, and then you can tell me if you think it got any better or not.
Worth a shot.

The Yogi said:
and thank you for trying to lift the spirits of a poor writer thorougly unimpressed with himself lately! :(
Relax. You're doing fine.

Nope. It's existence is one of the most closely guarded secrets of the Reich. Fah Lo Suee knew from her lover, of course, but kept the secret.
Well, if we accept Lovecraftian canon, there almost have to be individual sorcerors in other countries who know. And given the British penchant for eccentric antiquarianism, and their easy access to the relics of some of the most ancient civilizations known to conventional history (such as Egypt), some of those sorcerors are probably British. But if there's no British equivalent of Sonderkommando Hexen, and I assume there isn't, then the British government wouldn't know.

Modern technology doesn't work in the Dreamland - different laws of physics. Guns don't fire, watches don't work etc.
And the whole place has a chaotically rotating magetic field, as demonstrated by the compass. Oh frabjous day.

Simon_Jester said:
Well, if we accept Lovecraftian canon, there almost have to be individual sorcerors in other countries who know. And given the British penchant for eccentric antiquarianism, and their easy access to the relics of some of the most ancient civilizations known to conventional history (such as Egypt), some of those sorcerors are probably British. But if there's no British equivalent of Sonderkommando Hexen, and I assume there isn't, then the British government wouldn't know.

That depends.......ex-MI5 agent and the "wickedest man in the world is still living - Aleister Crowley. Supposedly a confidante of Rudolph Hess and obviously one of the aforementioned "sorcerors" he might have some insight into dreamland.

Curiously enough Ian Flemming :cool: proposed to use Crowley as an agent in WW2

Only trouble is that he's an elderly smackhead at the moment.

Simon_Jester said:
Spot on - there are assuredly Britons who know about the Dreamland, and not only occultists and the such. The King of Celephais, Kuranes, is a deceased british hobo, formerly nobleman who was ruined and lost everything. He fell off a cliff while dreaming and remained alive as a King in the Dreamland while his Waking World body died. But as you guessed, the British authorities have no knowledge, or at least do not believe (they might have some account dismissed as the ravings of a madman) in the existence of the Dreamland.

Derek Pullem said:
That depends.......ex-MI5 agent and the "wickedest man in the world is still living - Aleister Crowley. Supposedly a confidante of Rudolph Hess and obviously one of the aforementioned "sorcerors" he might have some insight into dreamland.

Curiously enough Ian Flemming :cool: proposed to use Crowley as an agent in WW2

Only trouble is that he's an elderly smackhead at the moment.
Yeah, again, this might be a case of the authorities not believeing what they're told. But most importantly, even if some or another mystically inclined Lord (like the late Kuranes) had actually visited the Dreamland as a dreamer, that doesn't mean he (or the authorities) know that it can be reached in any other way than dreaming, ie that there can be actual physical interaction between the two dimensions, and transition between them can be made in the flesh. And that makes all the difference between an interesting metaphysical tidbit and a fact of significance for national security.

Poor Empress and her sons, they are doomed. :( I wonder whether Black Naga would use the portal and journey into Dreamland to hunt it´s remaining prey or not, but most likely the poor humans trapped in Leng have other things to worry about right now.

Splendid update, all in all.

About the Empress, I wonder. Since years and years can go by in Dreamland, but almost no time can pass in the waking world. Course, time synced when the portal opened, but I forgot what happened when it closed. Also it may be different since they went thru that gate. And there probably is a graveyard not too far from the Empress.

Dinglehoff said:
They should have more time since they are in the Dreamland.
The real problem is whether Otto can get them out where they need to be.
I suppose the only way out is if they find a Ghoul an he leads them out, or if they find that insufferable Dhurn and he makes a portal.

4th Dimension said:
I suppose the only way out is if they find a Ghoul an he leads them out, or if they find that insufferable Dhurn and he makes a portal.
Dhurn may not even be capable of helping them. We last saw him being ripped to shreads by chains over and over again. A lot more time has passed since then so he might have completely lost it by now, or he might not even be rescueable right now/anymore.

Yogi, I must confess I didn't see that coming. I thought that maybe some paratroops or something like that to the aid, but never would have imagined dreamland as an escape (even if accidental).

nice pun in the end! :D

Derek Pullem said:
Well, if the British do have an equivalent to Sonderkommando Hexen, Crowley's probably involved.

Karelian said:
Poor Empress and her sons, they are doomed. :( I wonder whether Black Naga would use the portal and journey into Dreamland to hunt it´s remaining prey or not, but most likely the poor humans trapped in Leng have other things to worry about right now.
As I recall, the Empress is one of only two primary targets. Black Naga would prefer to kill the Empress, and it would probably be easier for it to do so. But on the other hand, Fah has demonstrated that she is actually a threat to Black Naga, as is that pesky longswordsman in her company. The Empress can be killed at leisure, wherever she chooses to run. So Black Naga may choose to pursue Fah first, instead of the Empress.

On the other hand, as I recall most Lovecraftian entities not native to the Dreamland are either unable to enter it or uninterested in doing so, but that may be Derleth or other non-Lovecraft canon. And I have no idea if it's Yogi canon.

On a side note, the Ju-52 crashed in the Caspian Sea, which means that Black Naga will need days to surface, find an airbase, and commandeer another plane to continue the pursuit.

4th Dimension said:
Duhrn cannot open a portal on his own; he needed Xaltotun. Who is now the High Priest Not to be Described, and you can bet that the High Priest isn't interested in opening any portals for Skorzeny.

Mettermrck said:
Why do I get nervous if it's Skorzeny losing his cool? ;) Fine stuff as always, sir.
Skorzeny freaks out like that quite frequently; he's prone to melodramatics. Of course, this is extreme even for him.

Simon_Jester: On the other hand, the ceremonial sabre of European military dress uniforms was a far cry from the samurai sword of a Japanese officer- ceremonial sabres were virtually useless as actual weapons.

Actually the ceremonial swords of the British (general) officers between 1870 and 1930 were the best swords ever made by British swordsmiths, if the officer was of sufficient standing or wealth to afford them. (Wilkinson's aren't cheap.) They also made a very good range of combat weapons and a series where you could go from dress to combat by changing hilts.

The blue steel swords of the Napoleonic era were excellent as well.

Did you know by the way that the swords produced in the high middle ages, and certainly the best of them, are of similar quality to the Katana of the same period? And that continues all the way up to the era of gunpowder. The west just lacks the Bushi-do culture that makes Japanes swords so interesting to us westerners.

Sorry for the OT Yogi.

As to your style: You have indeed become less descriptive but I don't know it considering the current state of the story that is a bad thing. Like Simon said the action packed thriller we are getting now is different from the character delineation of the earlier chapters and calls for differnet writing, so maybe you've subconciously been doing that?

But if you want the action scenes to be nore descriptive, I will be here to read them!

Workmanlike to me by the way is not at all derogatory. I've heard the word used for cabinets and tables by Chippendale and the works of Runciman and Tolkien. There are worse things than workmanlike.

Love where the story is going. I must admit when Irene said there were hardly any patrols up there my memory went ding and I recalled the sleigh ride into Dreamland. Did Fu found his stronghold there because of the proximity of the gate? Or was it discovered later? (Or made?)

I loved Otto's reaction when he realized he was in Dreamland.

And I wonder what the Druid Council knows about Dreamland...

Thanks for the great updates! DW

Dead William said:
Actually the ceremonial swords of the British (general) officers between 1870 and 1930 were the best swords ever made by British swordsmiths, if the officer was of sufficient standing or wealth to afford them. (Wilkinson's aren't cheap.) They also made a very good range of combat weapons and a series where you could go from dress to combat by changing hilts.
I believe that, but what percentage of British officers could afford a Wilkinson's? For that matter, what ranks had a sword with the dress uniform?

The blue steel swords of the Napoleonic era were excellent as well.
I wasn't referring to the Napoleonic era, but I have absolutely no doubt that you are correct. I was thinking more in terms of the world wars, by which time European dress swords were starting to get too ceremonial.

Did you know by the way that the swords produced in the high middle ages, and certainly the best of them, are of similar quality to the Katana of the same period? And that continues all the way up to the era of gunpowder.
Yes, actually; I have gotten into several minor squabbles with katan fanatics because of this. I'm pleased to meet someone who clearly knows more about swords than I do.

Dead William said:
Did you know by the way that the swords produced in the high middle ages, and certainly the best of them, are of similar quality to the Katana of the same period? And that continues all the way up to the era of gunpowder. The west just lacks the Bushi-do culture that makes Japanes swords so interesting to us westerners.

Sorry for the OT Yogi.
No problem. Did you perhaps read the little piece about swords I wrote in the december AARlaander? It adresses this issue, among others.