• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or it was because we are trying to make sure Gavelkind works as intended since it is now the only option for a large group of characters for a fairly long time, so I pay a bit more attention to threads like this.

While you're at it, could you look into making Tanistry or a revised version of it available for Celtic tribals again? Likewise, could you make some kind of Seniority or Seniority Gavelkind available to other cultures (Hungarians, Russians) who historically used something like it?

While you're at it, could you look into making Tanistry or a revised version of it available for Celtic tribals again? Likewise, could you make some kind of Seniority or Seniority Gavelkind available to other cultures (Hungarians, Russians) who historically used something like it?

The same should be true for Mongolian (and maybe other steppe?) tribals. They should use something like Ultimo-gavelkind, where the youngest son is the primary heir and gets the capital+main title, but the older brothers get to inherit like gavelkind.

Or it was because we are trying to make sure Gavelkind works as intended since it is now the only option for a large group of characters for a fairly long time, so I pay a bit more attention to threads like this.
Never understood why some people feel the urge to personally attack developers. Been actively gaming on PC since 1987, and in all that time I don't recall ever seeing a feature implemented due to some hopped-up nobody berating the developer into doing so.

I don't really see how you need to "look into" things like this. You and your team obviously spent weeks coding it, and regular gavelkind has been more or less like this since the start. How is it just now something that has to be "looked into"?

I mean, maybe we should get all DLC for free and "look into" paying Paradox a few weeks later?

anyone else that wants to complain; you should be very grateful and super stoked that the devs read this forum and try to satisfy their fans. They have absolutely zero obligation to change a single thing about a game once you buy it. Ease up off people, unless you're making bomb ass games yourself and doing a better job, which you're not, cause you're playing crusader kings.

I really think that you should be able to have more control over what happens during succession. Especially with the creation of additional kingdoms for sons - you should be able to specify which sons gets what vassals and stuff.

They most certainly do have an obligation to fix something obviously broken with a release. If they want continued patronage from people, that is.
The issue is that a lot of people buy first and then find out it's crap. I personally, feel very sorry that I forked out money for CM this early, before any bugs were fixed. I don't mind paying the full price for a product I enjoy, but right now I'm just playing the same areas/bookmarks I was playing before CM - 1066 and onward, with western/central Europe as the focus. No muslims, no pagans and God save me from playing tribals (and pagans), who are stuck at not-real-gavelkind. Basically, same old, nothing particularly new.

I did get a laugh from seeing Ogier the Dane spawn in my court... as Philippe Capet in the Stamford Bridge bookmark.

Last edited:
They most certainly do have an obligation to fix something obviously broken with a release. If they want continued patronage from people, that is.

Yes, if they want continued patronage. However it's their choice if they don't, and they're not obligated to make that choice, that's all my point was. Would it just be wrong for them to just abandon support of a game once its been released? Yes of course, but I'm not here to talk about War of the Vikings (-.-)

point really was: be glad we have such dedicated developers

I really do wander though whose slow-witted idea it was to release CM before thoroughly play-testing and checking it. I remember that the general mood before the release announcement was that it had waaaay more time in development.

Smells fishy.

Would it just be wrong for them to just abandon support of a game once its been released? Yes of course, but I'm not here to talk about War of the Vikings (-.-)

I lol'd.

I am sure they will continue to work on this game, it's just that Paradox has never been good at getting things right at the time of release.

I'm just sitting here looking at the future of my titles. One kingdom, 2 duchies, 7 counties. My heir is getting the kingdom, 1 duchy, an 2 counties. (The two from his duchy). The 2nd son is getting the 3 counties from his duchy and 2 straggler counties. Broken.

The power base is counties. These should form the basis for the inheritance, and then a separate round for each "level" of title above that, weighted to give them based on who holds the constituant lower titles.

Why did you quit CK2 after TOG? There were no changes to gavelkind in that patch.

That's precisely the point, you get to play Pagans. No mod needed. HOORAY! But... Gavelkind. What a disaster.

It worked GREAT when this was my first foray into the British Isles. 1 Empire, 4 Kingdoms. Each child received their own Kingdom with a claim to the Empire. Most times, I kept it in check unless a faction formed and two siblings joined in.

It was messy when Crown Laws changed and allowed wars between them. The call to arms flag was popping off left and right because subjucation/holy wars in Iberia as England were were still valid at the time. It had not been patched to be different yet, if memory serves me correctly.

The Kingdom of Lotharingia was suddenly my vassal when some child was married off to a landless Princess who ended up inheriting and passing down a claim to their children and someone enforced it to remove the current liege. That was a very nice surprise indeed even though it would often "flip" due to plots and cultural differences.

Eventually patches broke this save game and I've long since deleted it wistfully.

Pagan Emperor of Brittania - Year 948.jpg

I'm going to keep my eye on this to see how things are sorted out. Gavelkind does need a lot of work now, and I'm not sure what's changed since the new patch. I'll report anything that I do find if I play a gavelkind game.

If you fix Gavelkind and make it actually a viable succession law (and that will probably take a lot of work) this will be the best improvement this game has seen.

That we had to wait several years for that to happen is still sad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.