• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is even more complicated IRL : a king can have several numbers related to its different titles.

The best exemple may be a famous guy who was :
- Charles II duke of Brabant
- Charles Ist (Carlos I) king of Spain and America
- Charles IV (Carlo IV) king of Sicily
- Charles V (Karl V) Holy Roman Emperor

As he was best remembered as Holy Roman Emperor though, Spaniards tend to remember him as Carlos V :rofl:

I, too, am irked by this. I remember playing as England, starting 1647 or thereabouts. Anyway, about thirty years later I had an awesome Lord Protector who I decided to make king. I was troubled to see that he became King Henry Marlborough...... I mean, that is just lazy coding, not even putting his number in there. Henry IX is fine, as is Henry IX Marlborough, but c'mon, he can't not have a number....

Just realised. Marlborough shouldn't be the Dynasty Name. Marlborough is the name of the Duke, the family should be Churchill.

Now, who wants to create a bit of a mod which includes the possibility of King Winston I Churchill of Great Britain?:rofl:

You can change it in the save file.

Just change the red for the dynasty name you want. Remember to change the name for your heir as well.

Code:
1484.5.1=
        {
            monarch=
            {
                name="Johann I"
                DIP=7
                ADM=5
                MIL=6
                id=
                {
                    id=8085
                    type=37
                }
                leader=
                {
                    name="Johann I [COLOR="Red"]von Habsburg[/COLOR]"
                    type=general
                    manuever=1
                    fire=4
                    shock=1
                    siege=0
                    activation="1484.5.8"
                    id=
                    {
                        id=4472
                        type=38
                    }
                }
                dynasty="[COLOR="#ff0000"]von Habsburg[/COLOR]"
            }
        }

I'm having a bit of trouble in doing what you suggested. Where should I look for the file you're talking about?

I've checked in the "save games" folder, but I'm not sure how to modify the saved games...

I'm having a bit of trouble in doing what you suggested. Where should I look for the file you're talking about?

I've checked in the "save games" folder, but of course it contains just the historical data... :(

Open the save game in the "save games" folder with notepad.

Go to edit->find

Type in the name of your current king, until you find something similar to what I posted.

There you should find it and you can make the changes.

It is even more complicated IRL : a king can have several numbers related to its different titles.

As he was best remembered as Holy Roman Emperor though, Spaniards tend to remember him as Carlos V :rofl:

We usually name him "Carlos I de España y V de Alemania" (Charles I of Spain and V of Germany), however Germany didn't exist at that moment.

BTW, as Mazzini says about Italy, in Spain we take the Castille numbers for our kings. For example, we've never had an "Isabel I of Spain", but Isabel I of Castille and Isabel II of Spain.

True. James I of England was also James VI of Scotland. I suppose the truth is, it can be pretty arbitrary. After all, who's going to argue with the king?

in many cases it is historians who choose. another point about England, the Normans brought the numbering system. pre-conquest kings used a nickname, as did Edward I, known as Longshanks. so the general rule is to number people by title.

There's a relationship boost if two countries have the same dynasty on the throne. That seems to be about it.

As far as numbering goes, the convention for Britain appears to be to take the higher number for England or Scotland (at least since the reign of Anne when Britain became an actuality rather than a PU - technically ruled by Scotland at first).