Does the Netherlands get acces to a specfic German tree if the form it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

thedarkendstar

General
23 Badges
Mar 13, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Basically the title of the thread if you form Germany as the Netherlands which of the German trees do you get because I know that tree changes based on who formed it.

Forming Germany requires a primary culture of the Germanic culture group except Dutch, so I guess it's technically possible to form the Netherlands, then culture-switch and form Germany (apparently Netherlands is not an End-Game-Tag). Don't think Paradox officially supports this way of gameplay by giving this Frankenstein's country a unique mission tree tbh

• 4Like
Reactions:
Forming Germany requires a primary culture of the Germanic culture group except Dutch, so I guess it's technically possible to form the Netherlands, then culture-switch and form Germany (apparently Netherlands is not an End-Game-Tag). Don't think Paradox officially supports this way of gameplay by giving this Frankenstein's country a unique mission tree tbh
With the caveat that by the time you are in a position to form Germany as the Netherlands, you'll be Empire rank already, so you'd need two culture switches (one out of the Germanic group then back into it again), since you can't change to an other primary culture within the same group as your current one if you are Empire rank.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why even keep Dutch Flemish in the German culture group if we’re now treating them as seperate then?

Well, I'm no language expert (just a native German speaker), but the Germanic culture group is quite an arbitrary construct. At the start of the game, and throughout large parts of EU4's timeframe, there was no "German language" as we know it today. Rhenish speakers might have understood Dutch speakers better than Austrians or Prussians due to proximity.

If we go by today's standards, it totally makes sense to differentiate between Dutch/Flemish (almost the same in terms of language) and Frisian on one side, and all other Germanic cultures on the other side. As a Rhenish native, I am able to understand Bavarian, Franconian, Lower Saxon, Pomeranian, Saxon, Swabian and Westphalian without any problems. It's the same language, just slightly different pronunciation. Swiss and Austrian are a lot harder to understand. Both are using words that don't exist in standard German language and they use words from standard German but with a totally different meaning (difference probably similar to British and American English). Prussian and Balten are impossible to judge from today's point of view, cause there are basically no native speakers left. And then there's Dutch Flemish Frisian which are simply different languages.

It does make sense to treat them separately in-game, and if anything, I just learned that it's possible as a Frisian or Flemish culture to form Netherlands first and without culture shifting form Germany, because Netherlands is not an End-Game-Tag and only Dutch is prohibited from forming Germany.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Because a culture group of 2 is silly, also makes hapsburgs hold onto netherlands more easily
I mean you could put Frisian in to and walloon though the latter would mess with france

Reactions:
Korean being so weak is fine, you achieve historical borders on load up
And just ignore that Celtic, another culture group a mere strait across Dutch, has only two cultures as well?

Dutch, Frisian and Flemish would do fine as their own group. They have great dev, a decent amount of provinces and it's probably better than the bandaid patch that is "Dutch nations cannot form Germany".

Reactions:
With the caveat that by the time you are in a position to form Germany as the Netherlands, you'll be Empire rank already, so you'd need two culture switches (one out of the Germanic group then back into it again), since you can't change to an other primary culture within the same group as your current one if you are Empire rank.

You don't have to upgrade rank.

You don't have to upgrade rank.
I mean sure, but why wouldn't you? Same culture group still comes with a -15% penalty, and if you intend to hold a lot of land, you might as well get the maximum benefit from it. And having to de-state until another Germanic culture becomes 50%+ would still be required, even if to a somewhat lesser degree.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean sure, but why wouldn't you? Same culture group still comes with a -15% penalty, and if you intend to hold a lot of land, you might as well get the maximum benefit from it. And having to de-state until another Germanic culture becomes 50%+ would still be required, even if to a somewhat lesser degree.

You wouldn't precisely to avoid the problem of double culture shifting.

You wouldn't precisely to avoid the problem of double culture shifting.
I understand that, my point is that until you reach the point of culture shifting, Empire rank gives more benefits than saving an extra 100 DIP (not including power cost discounts). I guess if your goal is to eventually form Germany too a middle ground could be doing the culture shift pretty early while you are still below 1000 dev, that way you don't miss out on full cultural acceptance since you don't have it anyway, and you might actually have to de-state less land if you make concerted efforts to culture shift ASAP.