Does it matter if my sphere of influence bar is at max despite having a nation sphered at 100?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you have 100 influence and them sphered, if you leave influence on it will "ward off" other countries trying to influence them. Basically unless countries are actively influencing the country you have sphered, everyone else's influence will tick down, and if they are trying to influence, they will get a big malus to doing so.

If you have 100 influence and them sphered, if you leave influence on it will "ward off" other countries trying to influence them. Basically unless countries are actively influencing the country you have sphered, everyone else's influence will tick down, and if they are trying to influence, they will get a big malus to doing so.
Does that mean if I have it set on max and its already on 100 it wont affect the amount of points that are going into another nation im trying to sphere?

Does that mean if I have it set on max and its already on 100 it wont affect the amount of points that are going into another nation im trying to sphere?
It will reduce the points going into other countries. The amount depends, as usual, on the number of tick-marks you allocate to each. The AI will generally back down when you're putting points into a country that already has 100 influence, but will often contest a country where you're putting less than 100% of your influence that isn't already at 100.

It will reduce the points going into other countries. The amount depends, as usual, on the number of tick-marks you allocate to each. The AI will generally back down when you're putting points into a country that already has 100 influence, but will often contest a country where you're putting less than 100% of your influence that isn't already at 100.
What do you recommend to do when I hit 100 influence on a sphered nation? Should I lower the priority when im trying to influence another nation?

What do you recommend to do when I hit 100 influence on a sphered nation? Should I lower the priority when im trying to influence another nation?

It really just depends on how much influence points you have in total and what your priorities are. To make one thing clear, if your influence is at 100 and no other countries have any influence points or are trying to influence it, then no matter how many ticks you have set, you will spend ZERO influence. As other posters described, if other countries do have influence or are spending influence, you will spend your influence points to reduce or slow down their opposing infuence in proportion to your total influence points and the ticks you put into it.

The long and short of it, if you highly value keeping a certain country in your sphere, you should keep at least one influence tick in it even when you've maxed out, so that you deter ai countries from trying to steal it or at the least so you will see in your outliner when other countries are gaining influence. If you wouldn't care or even notice if another country steals it from under your nose then don't bother.