• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
In todays development diary, we'll give you the first exclusive AAR of Hearts of Iron 3. I give the word over to King, who will tell you about his recent game as Italy.

Italy – 1938

While Germany slowly dismembers Czechoslovakia and Japan advances in to China Italy has grander plans. Our goal is simple Yugoslavia. The Italian people are ready for war and to we are confident that the Italian army is superior to the Yugoslav one. So unless someone intervenes we are confident of victory. We also do not have enough resources to sustain our economy on a war footing, we can either buy these and have to divert IC in consumer goods production to pay for them or we can simply take these from other countries stockpiles. Yugoslavia becomes a much more attractive target. Will there be consequences from our act of liberation? Most probably but the experience will be useful for our armies.

In 1938 the Italian armed forces are divided into 3 theatres, one covering our recently expanded Italian East Africa, one covering Libya (and Rhodes) and one covering Italy proper. All are put onto defensive stance, but the Italian theatre is given Belgrade as a specific objective. Then we wait.

The theatres start to put their units into defensive positions but the Italian theatre places special emphasis on the Yugoslav border since it knows that Belgrade is an objective. Meanwhile Italy upgrades troops and researches new equipment. We start with 4 battleships in production and we just leave them on. Italy is a member of the Axis, it knows Britain and France are Allied countries and are thus likely enemies, all theatres are crying out for more ships to meet this threat. We also start to build Radar Stations. One in Rhodes to start monitoring the Eastern Mediterranean and one Taranto to do the same in the Central Mediterranean. It will take a while for these to become truly effective but if we are given enough time we will have good monitoring capabilities on Allied fleet movements. When spare IC becomes available a third radar station will be built in Sardinia to give us warning of movements in the Western Mediterranean.

preperations.jpg

We have also increased our peacetime draft level; this is part of the formula for a quick victory over Yugoslavia. Our gamble is that the Yugoslavs will have a much lower draft level meaning that even if we hit them without a proper mobilisation our divisions will have a much high strength and organisation than the Yugoslav divisions. However this is a trick we will probably only be able to pull off once. Neighbours of Yugoslavia will see us an increased threat will probably mobilise their own armies at the thought of having Italy as a neighbour. Hopefully Yugoslavia will provide us with enough loot to sustain us until the next campaign.

This is sadly going to have to be a winter campaign, not a lot we can do about this. We want Yugoslavia out of the way before the war in Europe begins. Although things aren’t going to quite ready by then we set D-Day for the 1st of December 1938. We are going for the limited war because we do not want to share any of our conquests with Germany. This is going to be an Italian only show and we are going to show the world the power of the Italian army.

declare war.jpg

The Italian theatre is set over to Blitzing stance and the assault begins. The battle of frontiers goes exactly as planed. The Yugoslav divisions are heavily under strength as they had yet to mobilise and they shatter under the weight of the initial Italian assault.

frontier battles over.jpg

So now it becomes a race. The Italian army needs to seize as much of Yugoslavia as possible before the shattered divisions are rebuilt enough to slow us down and fresh reserves appear on the frontline. 20 days into the war and already Yugoslavia is collapsing.

20 days.jpg

The glorious march continues, but it looks like future victories will be less easy. The Swiss have mobilised and we suspect that new neighbours we gain when we finish with Yugoslavia will probably do the same. However in the mean time we enjoy the victory. We are going to score practical war experience to help with doctrine research and also gain experience for units and leaders. This will help in future wars that we know will be much tougher. Basically our troops are advancing quick enough to prevent a new line of resistance forming. This was a war won by a combination of surprise and preparation. The Yugoslav army has its last stand around to Belgrade the troops are already so weakened that they will not stand for long against the Italian army.

last stand.jpg

With that out of the way Belgrade falls and Yugoslavia has been ‘liberated’, after 3 months of fighting. So ends this little AAR. What would of happened next with Italy? Well I would of activated the decision to annex Albania next and then looked to do something about the over all mobility of the Italian army. The troops will need to be faster when taking on better opponents like the United Kingdom or France.

Excellent AAR King!

Looking forward to hearing more on your Italian Campaign!

One question though, what is the difference between simply DoWing Albania or using the decision to DoW Albania?

Will the decision end up giving you cores on that region or some other benefit over a simple declaration?

This was a strictly one off AAR I am afraid. However I may do another in the future depends on work load.

I could of course DoW Albania that but the decision is like the event in HoI2 that gives Albania to Italy. Unlike the event though I get to pick when I do it.

so at the start of the camping the East african divisions were heavily under strangt (18,2%) and were reinforced till 42,7%

but why is 18,2 displayed in green and 42,7 displayed in red?

No only the East African Theatre HQ.

If you notice the Theatre HQ name is always displayed in green, that marks them as being under AI control. Red simply means it wasn't reinforcing in that screen shot.

Hmmm, do you think rising mobilization levels (to reinforce your divisions) was really necessary?

It seems (at least on screens) Yugoslavia had barely any divisions at all, so you could simply win by using your superior number of units, outflanking them and gaining local superiority.

I do actually, if my divisions were too low strength the wouldn't off been able to attack at all, because they would of shattered if they had tried it.

Question...why national unity falls even if Italy is blitzing through Yugoslavia? near the end is 77% from 80%

Those pesky Yugoslav submarines were sinking convoys. Strategic warfare was weakening me a little.

Wonderful preview indeed. I want August to come now, already! :cool:

A question for King: as I read the miniAAR this was hands off, that is, the AI handled the war against YUG. Correct?

I handed the theatre an objective (Belgrade) and a stance (Blizkrieg) and let the AI take it from there.

1) What does "threat" mean? Is it just an AI variable, or does it have some kind of meaning for dissent/NU when declaring war?
2) Why does Italian National Unity start to decrease (but not instantly) after war is declared?

1) No it is used in diplomacy. The threat values that countries project effect the choice of diplomatic actions it can do. In one test game I took out Yugoslavia and generated enough threat towards Romania to allow it to join the Allies.

2) I answered this above.

Pre-war, what does the neutrality rating of 20%/54% mean?

The first number is my current neutrality rating the second is our mutual threat number. Declaring war is limited by a combination of neutrality and threat. Because Italy has claims on Yugoslav terrotry I am considered additionally threating, don't know why it is not like I would declare war or anything like that now would I?

On the 4th screenshot:
Is the text still buggy or did i understand something wrong?

Shouldn't it be we have taken X% of cities, THEIR national unity X% and [..] THEY will surrender?

Now it sounds like, if we have more succes we will surrender :confused:

spotted and fixed

Very nice, it seems a bit easy, but nice anyway.

A question: What about all the HQ units, I count to twelve on one of the screens? Is that really a normal rate of them?

Between Theatres, Armygroups, Armies and Corps yes.

Can theater AI really achieve that? :eek:
It is still more fun when you can directly command all your divisions by yourself.

Yes the Theatre AI can really acheive that and I have no idea about manual control. I have used AI control exclusively to provide feedback to our AI programmers so they can improve the AI.

Eh, note the number of opposing units.

On the first screen Yugoslavia got 1 (!) division to cover 6 border provinces. On the second, you can see 5 divisions covering what it appears to be 12 province long front.

Of course AI that got more units was able to deal with such opponent. I would be extrememly suprisied it it wasn't.

I wonder how it can deal with more demanding opponent - with comparable number of units for a start, maybe even smart (read - human) enough to group them in right spots and using air force to delay enemy/support own counterattacks.

Don't get me wrong, but while it's good that Theater AI is capable of doing stuff like preparing for assault, then counducting it, nothing in this AAR indicates, it's doing it well. Opponent is just grossly outclassed quantity-wise.

What? I count at least one division per province covering the Italian border.

If germany had help you, during the war would they have shared the same theater or will they make a theater on their own ?

They have their own theatre. If they sent me an expiditionary force that would of been different I could of slotted that into my command structure.

Not on the screen where they are in combat. :confused:

Or the rest of units got shattered already?

Yes that was after I overran the front line. If you go to the very first screenshot you'll see a fully manned frontline.

Can you give AI commands to encircle certain areas or units?
I'm surely impressed already!

No you set a objectives and a stance. On blitzing it is more likely to ignore it's own flanks in pursute of an encirclement.