• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Occupation Policies, there has been much talk about those stripes on the map, so let’s talk a little bit about them. Many of you have noticed the stripes to denote the difference between those provinces that you occupy and those that you actually own. We did this for some very good reasons.

One of the more unsatisfactory things with HoI2 was the end of the war, or more exactly no matter how hard you tried you never could quite get the borders looking right. Well now we part of the problem solved already. With the underlying borders sitting there we only have to worry about those provinces that change ownership like Germany and Poland for example. This cuts down the permutations dramatically, allowing a Hearts of Iron 3 post war Europe to look more like a post war Europe. Although since we don’t know what you the player are actually going to do with your game we in way shape or form guarantee that post war Europe will look like post war Europe. All we have done is set up a system that cope better minor deviations from the time line.

The other logic for this system is allowing occupation policies to vary according to the country. This is another part of Heart of Iron 2 that is rather unsatisfactory everywhere was always the same. Now you have the option of varying the occupation policy by country, the game knows where these countries are thanks to those nifty stripes you see on the map. The harsher your policy the more resources and partisans you get from a country but the less manpower and leadership. This allows you to do a number of neat things. Firstly during conquest you can throttle back the occupation policy allowing you to focus more on conquering and less on your lines of communication. The second is that there will be some countries that from an economic point of view aren’t valuable but are worth holding for strategic reasons. Take Denmark as an example, not exactly Europe’s industrial powerhouse. With the variable occupation policy you can be lighter on a country like Denmark, reducing the need for garrisons, allowing you to divert garrisons to areas of greater economic value.

The third addition is how partisans work. Instead of being an instant value, it has a base value that it gradually moves towards. So instead of being a set number it is a gradual process. This is far more realistic, instead of instant partisans the minute you occupy territory it takes time for resistance movements to organise themselves. It also means that if you decide to be nice to the people the won’t simply pack their bags and go home, the partisans will keep fighting on at the same rate for a while, until the reduction in local support reduces their operational efficiency.

beta_may_13.jpg

Wow, excellent Dev. Diary, as always.

One question -- say I am invading the Soviet Union as Germany. Obviously, this takes a long time to do, so while I am doing so, do I then set my occupation policy, or do I have to be at peace (i.e., have some sort of cease-fire in place) or can I set my occupational policy during the war with the country I am already partly occupying?

You can set occupation policy the minute you occupy a province.

I see both Denmark and Norway has a Collaboration Government. The Norwegian legitimate government and king fled to England and led the opposition from there. The Danish ones stayed put. Shouldn't there be some further differentiation there?

I would propose that you have illegitimate and legitimate collaboration governments with legitimate ones only possible during certain criteria or by event.

No

Just wondering what is classed as a puppet? I notice that you can have a collaboration government, plus total exploitation. Are the other two stages in between these two with puppet being something more in line with hoi2?

I am a little confused by this, in Hoi2 the standard puppets were Siam, Menguko, Manchuko(I bet I am spelling these wrong), Nat china, Croatia and Slovakia. Are some of these now classed as Collaboration governments? and if not what do puppets do? I guess it's too many questions at once.

Puppets are puppets and occupation is occupation.

f.e.: if I invaded the soviet union, i would chose a nice occupation policy, to make the people like me.. if I reache the caucasus, I would need its oil. is it possible to spilt areas out of the soviet union with different occupation-policy?

no

I hope that the partisan thing cannot be easily manipulated.
Like:
"Oops, I'm getting increase in partisan-thingy"
*Adjusts some slider for two weeks*
*Adjusts the slider back*
*Rinse and repeat*

hope this answers your questions, from teh this the folowing thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404448

The third addition is how partisans work. Instead of being an instant value, it has a base value that it gradually moves towards. So instead of being a set number it is a gradual process. This is far more realistic, instead of instant partisans the minute you occupy territory it takes time for resistance movements to organise themselves. It also means that if you decide to be nice to the people the won’t simply pack their bags and go home, the partisans will keep fighting on at the same rate for a while, until the reduction in local support reduces their operational efficiency.

I'm still dumbfounded about the Government in Exile and all that (Can't seem to get a grip of the concept) but if I, as Germany, invade SU - push them back really far, can I "free" states such as the Ukraine etc. as was possible in HOI2? And then avoid all the partisan stuff etc.?

you need to own the provinces first. Occupation is not enough to release a puppet.

IMO it's quite stupid that one cannot treat different areas of huge countries like the Soviet Union differently. IRL the Baltics were treated very well by the Germans, while most of Ukraine (mainly excluding Western Ukraine) was treated rather harsh. I only see this particular case possible if all Baltic countries have governments in exile, and thus Germany can choose a seperate occupation policy on each of the Baltic states compared to that of the rest of the USSR. But you'd still have to treat i.e. Belorussia or Ingria the same way as you treat Ukraine, something that wasn't true IRL.

Well this is what you get, one country one occupation policy.

King I am a bit unclear here on one thing. Is the occupation policy by occupied country or by occupier, ie does germany select one policy or is it one policy per occupied country?

each country who occupies terrotry of another country can select an occupation policy for thier terrotry. So if several different countries have occupy parts of the same country then you will have provinces under different occupation policies with different partisan spawning chances.

Hypothetically, King, if we could rig the system somehow that countries can't actually annex any other, but only occupy them (and include another level of occupation policy: annexation), we could divide up the Soviet Union into its constituent parts so that Germany, for example, could have different policies for every SSR if we wanted to go that far?

Hypothetically speaking if the USSR was several seperate countries then you could have different occupation policies.

I have question, King. You said, it is not possible to create puppets if you only control the provinces but you have to own them. If that is so, why do we have "liberate country" and "release puppet" buttons? I thought one was for owned territory and the other for controlled.

One is for governments in exile the other isn't.

i dont understand the above statement at all .. anyone care to explain to me what it says?

Ok here goes. We played a lot of games of Hearts of Iron 2 in the early stages of development to see where the game perfromed poorly. One of those was the post war map of Europe. It never looked good. Countries not reappearing when they should (my faourvite was a UK owned Hungary sitting in the middle of europe. Countries not properly reappearing when they should (e.g. chuncks of Norwar remaining part of the USSR). This is a limitation of the event system, trying to cover every possible permutation. However with our system of the countries remaining in place after conquest we cut down the number of permutations. We don't have to consider handing back ownership of the Netherland's provinces from all the possible countries that could end up with them at peace, they are already there owned by the Netherlands. Makes life a lot easier when it comes to setting up a surrender event for Germany.

Regarding Wallonia:
In HOI2, we have the event that the Dutch/Belgium territory chnages ownership to Germany after the two countries are beaten on the continent.
If there are similar events in HOI3, I guess that Flandern/Wallonia can be created without the Afrikakorps invading Congo and the Kriegsmarine operating in Indonesia and the Caribbean - or am I wrong?

Best regards,
Roland

No, the Dutch Belgium Government's in Exile fight on from London. As long as those exist the things that you describe are simply a form of collaboration government.

I also think the occupation policy should somehow allow to differentiate between different regions , it was a common german tactic to rule through favouring particular ethnicities over others, eg in the beginning of the war they decided it would be a good idea to cozy up to the flemish and so the flemish POW's were released a lot sooner than the walloons

Enthnicities aren't simulated in any of the Hearts of Iron games.