• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please try reading the dev diary

"Now should you decide to assume manual control of a unit (say a Corps inside an Army Group) then this will deactivate the whole chain of command. Each existing unit will continue to follow its current order (e.g. move here or attack there) but no new ones will be issued. The AI cannot cope with human interference of its orders. "

Will theatres/army group areas of influence be user definable.
An example, Army group south (ai) is given France (Paris as a target and told to prepare) while I use army group east to attack Denmark and Norway as player controlled.

Ok.
1. I have AI controled Theater but wanna use a Corps/Army from its chain. Then I can give it back to the Theater and it will be assigned auto where needed?
2. If you have defensive stance in f.e. France - will they also act offensively? Or will they just defend what they control and not try to take back provs that where taken?
3. Is it enough to set one goal or few like Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad and the AI will make the whole front or will they just try to take those provs specified? So will I have to point also Vorhonez, Novogrod, Tula, Rostov etc till the most important points are selected or will it auto fill the gaps and create continuous front?

2. from the DD:
So even if you order a formation onto the defensive if the enemy ignore it and weaken the front in front of it then it will try at the very least to improve its defensive position.
So yes.
3. the screenshot shows an army with as goals provinces that are behind other enemy controlled provinces, so I'd guess yes. The ai will try to capture those provinces, even if that means having to go through some other provinces first :D

The AI cannot cope with human interference of its orders. "

So, if I first give all the control to the AI in order to conquer the world for me, but my Wehrmacht doesn't reach Moscow fast enough for me, so I start to give orders manually, my army will lose totally? This sounds very realistic, perhaps I'll start a game as Gröfaz, spoiling the well made plans of my generals. :rofl:

Overall, this feature looks really nice. I really hate it as major power to fight not only at the main front, but also in a lot of small fronts all over the world. Normally, I end up in ignoring a front, leading to a longer war although I had the ressources to fight in more than one place.

I got it.
I assume you don't understand what i mean or perhaps my english is too bad to understand...which is quite possible :)

I have one complete AI army.
Now i want to (manual) assist the ai with one human-controlled corps.
As described in the last DD this corps should be assigned to an army -> army group -> theatre to get the whole bonus and benefits of the command-structure.
As you quoted today's DD i cannot assign this human-corps to the ai-army.
Is this corps then doomed to be independent and get no benefits and no bonus from the command-struture?

If you want to keep the corps under human control it must sit outside the AI controlled command structure. The AI will also discount this corps when it comes to making decisions, because it is not part of it's command structure.

Splendid work!

Great work Paradox!

Will the country controlled or theater AI plan to use and build fortifications now and plan for offensives accordingly?

I can imagine an off-hand game playing Hitler - "Take Stalingrad at all costs!" Damn - that will be an AAR!

What questions arise?:
Will you be able to assign air units to the Theater or AG or do they have a separated chain of command?
Will we be able to set goals for AI controlled production or will it depend on what Theaters need?

I cant wait to play with almost complet AI control!!! :cool: Fuhrer or Stalin... Any Leader of any country! Churchill, Roosevelt... damn... :rolleyes:

So, if I first give all the control to the AI in order to conquer the world for me, but my Wehrmacht doesn't reach Moscow fast enough for me, so I start to give orders manually, my army will lose totally? This sounds very realistic, perhaps I'll start a game as Gröfaz, spoiling the well made plans of my generals. :rofl:

If you give an order to a corps in an AI controlled army the AI will relinquish control of the entire army. If that means losing, then that's your fault :D

You need to leave the AI alone when you've assigned it an army, army group.. ;)

Sounds awesome! :D

A question: if the AI controls, say an army group, can I assign more units to the army group or to one or more of the corps within the army group without screwing up AI control?

For example, say I want the AI controlled army group to invade X and set objectives and stances accordingly and the AI get to it. Then I realize that to properly execute the objectives will require more units and so I assign a few more divisions. Will the AI just take the new divisions “as is” within the existing framework of orders – or will I have to reset AI control and issue objectives and stances again?

Sounds awesome! :D

A question: if the AI controls, say an army group, can I assign more units to the army group or to one or more of the corps within the army group without screwing up AI control?

For example, say I want the AI controlled army group to invade X and set objectives and stances accordingly and the AI get to it. Then I realize that to properly execute the objectives will require more units and so I assign a few more divisions. Will the AI just take the new divisions “as is” within the existing framework of orders – or will I have to reset AI control and issue objectives and stances again?

Of course you can assign more units to an AI controlled formation without screwing things up. In fact the AI will tell you if it wants more units. If you look at the screen shot the AI formation wants 7 more infantry brigades.

Will "military control" of your allies require you to use the AI interface in issuing orders? That would be a wonderful way to use the system.

Would it be possible to have events etc. fire that makes some units placed under AI controll (e.g. making it impossible for them to retreat, because the AI though this was the morally right thing to do)?

All I can say is I want this game ASAP. You guys at Paradox should be justly proud.

Of course you can assign more units to an AI controlled formation without screwing things up. In fact the AI will tell you if it wants more units. If you look at the screen shot the AI formation wants 7 more infantry brigades.

I want HoI 3 yesterday!!! :rofl:

Will "military control" of your allies require you to use the AI interface in issuing orders? That would be a wonderful way to use the system.

And can we add Allied units to the CoC f.e. Romanian Army to AI AG South. From what I understand we cant change Allied CoC but can we add them to our CoC or units to them?

If you set an objective and the AI assumes it is ok, will the AI report back to you with demands for more divisions if the situation changes?

BTW: How deep can you set your army objectives away from the front line.

Just how in-depth is AI control?

Am I likely to witness my AI commander in France launch Sealion?

Have you had many games in the office where the Barbarossa AI front has reached Leningrad, Stalingrad and Moscow?

And, finally, what about the navy? Don't neglect her! :(

I ask because I'd like to be able to have realistic fleets - it's a not too dissimilar command structure; for example the British Pacific Fleet in '44/'45 was comprised of several different multi-national fleets with the Eastern Fleet at its core.

Just a thought...