• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now that you bring this up,I am interested how will the attack on Poland be simulated in HoI3...I hope its not the case as in HoI2 when Poland just cedes its eastern part to USSR when Warsaw falls...

Last edited:
Now that you bring this up,I am interested how will the attack on Poland be simulatedin HoI3...I hope its not the case as in HoI2 when Poland just cedes its eastern part to USSR when Warsaw falls...

I don't think there will be any other way... Poland is in an alliance with the Allies, so any country that goes to war with it, goes to war with the UK and France.

Sorry if its already been asked and answered, but since there is no peace now, How does the winter war work since I assume a ceasefire cant be declared. Plus i guess minor wars are now a fight to the death, which will be bad considering the ahistorical hungry vs romania, colombia, equador vs peru wars you sometimes got in HOI2...though without the events system now those wars seem impossible. The no surrender idea just seems....way out of place..especially considering this game is using a lot of EU3 elements, and the peace deals system was fairly good in EU3, especially with the map showing you what territories youd gain.

I cant say i liked much anything in this diary. The lack of events and going to a pure EU3:IN decision plan seems to me will likely kill the randomness that i loved in HOI2. With the events system there was always that % chance the AI would do something unexpected...compile that with the number of events and every game felt somewhat different. EU3 was a great game, but play it enough times and youll notice that every game basically plays out the same way with a few minor variations and every nation had the same generic AI, the only difference was some of the considered major nations at the time had boosts to certain stats to give them an unfair advantage to their generic AI over a minor nations same generic AI. Looks like HOI3 will be going this route as well.

I think ill wait for some reviews now of this game to see how it plays to decide if I will buy it or not.
There are at least three ways of achieving peace that we currently know of:

1. Total Annexation (okay kinda obvious :rofl:)
2. By events e.g. Bitter Peace (not confirmed but was hinted at)
3. By a return to status quo peace event.

Number three seems to be based upon the white peace from the previous incarnations but there where hints that where a party to the peace had claims on an opponents territory then, provided that they occupied it when the peace was signed, the pre-war borders would be restored except the occupied territory would become the property of the occupier (but only if they had claims on them).

You can choose the type of government to install in the occupied territories now? What does "Total exploitation" do?

As I understood it it is your occupation policy and there are trade offs in the various options e.g. higher partisans, lower IC or resources, manpower etc.

I think total explotation gets you higher IC (or it might have been resources) but more partisans.

There are at least three ways of achieving peace that we currently know of:

1. Total Annexation (okay kinda obvious :rofl:)
2. By events e.g. Bitter Peace (not confirmed but was hinted at)
3. By a return to status quo peace event.

Number three seems to be based upon the white peace from the previous incarnations but there where hints that where a party to the peace had claims on an opponents territory then, provided that they occupied it when the peace was signed, the pre-war borders would be restored except the occupied territory would become the property of the occupier (but only if they had claims on them).
I think that what Johan was really referring to was the more complex peace negotiation tool available in EU IN. That tool worked really well (IMO) to simulate the wars and negotiations of the 14-19 centuries. However, with the much shorter timescale of HOI, these limitations seem reasonable. I think it is also more a limiting tool on the AI. It would kinda suck if you were playing as the UK, and a year into the war, the US makes peace with Germany for minor territorial gains, an all too common scenario in EU III.

Yes it would - especially mid D-Day :wacko:

It doesn't need to be like that to still increase freedom of possibilities in HoI. I think the main disagreement is whether minor nations should have any chances to expand and play ahistorically or if you want to affect much you are forced to choose a major. From 1936 until 1946 which is a reasonable timeline certainly some minor with the political will could have grabbed some nearby territories if played politics brinkmanship well. Borders were not 100% fixed at this point in time.... even in Europe where the borders were most difficult to change they still did in quite a few circumstances. We are not talking about one nation completely annexing another as national cores... only Germany and USSR get that ability apparently, but some smaller nations should have potential to claim a few border provinces as national cores if spent enough diplomacy and spying on it, there are plenty of historical pretexts to justify and it doesn't get into the politically tainted ideas of ethnicity only historical borders and national claims which were not always based on langage or ethnicity as plenty Euro nations had mixed of various levels all those things. That just allows some more replayability and gives more incentive to actually play a minor instead of just taking a huge major to make any changes to the world after WW2 ends.

Most people are planning on and expecting some add-on to take the timeline out to at least the cold war... and look how many border changes occurred from 1936 thru 1970! Why not allow a few minor changes early so that by 1970 a somewhat major ahistorical change could occur if everything goes right. Would increase interest and replayability in the game a huge amount without getting into politically correct taboo areas.

Don't worry, the yanks have our flank........ Oh dear......

Unless it was John Wayne. As Bob Newhart once said (about WWII movies) "Do you ever think how close we came to loosing the war if he hadn't been with us?" :rofl:

Actually that reminds me.

We have yet to hear how multi-national commands/military alliances/military control are going to work. I hope the next DD covers this. :cool:

It doesn't need to be like that to still increase freedom of possibilities in HoI. I think the main disagreement is whether minor nations should have any chances to expand and play ahistorically or if you want to affect much you are forced to choose a major. From 1936 until 1946 which is a reasonable timeline certainly some minor with the political will could have grabbed some nearby territories if played politics brinkmanship well. Borders were not 100% fixed at this point in time.... even in Europe where the borders were most difficult to change they still did in quite a few circumstances. We are not talking about one nation completely annexing another as national cores... only Germany and USSR get that ability apparently, but some smaller nations should have potential to claim a few border provinces as national cores if spent enough diplomacy and spying on it, there are plenty of historical pretexts to justify and it doesn't get into the politically tainted ideas of ethnicity only historical borders and national claims which were not always based on langage or ethnicity as plenty Euro nations had mixed of various levels all those things. That just allows some more replayability and gives more incentive to actually play a minor instead of just taking a huge major to make any changes to the world after WW2 ends.

Most people are planning on and expecting some add-on to take the timeline out to at least the cold war... and look how many border changes occurred from 1936 thru 1970! Why not allow a few minor changes early so that by 1970 a somewhat major ahistorical change could occur if everything goes right. Would increase interest and replayability in the game a huge amount without getting into politically correct taboo areas.
Good points all, we'll just have to wait and see with the release. I can see what Johan is talking about, but, as I said, you make some very cogent points.

Unless it was John Wayne. As Bob Newhart once said (about WWII movies) "Do you ever think how close we came to loosing the war if he hadn't been with us?" :rofl:

We have yet to hear how multi-national commands/military alliances/military control are going to work. I hope the next DD covers this. :cool:
I too am hoping to hear more about that. This is VERY important for UK players, and even Germany would be well served by a good system here.

EnglandWarrior said:

Yes! This. :cool:

I wanna see the Commonwealth Pacific Fleet. :D

Attack the alliances, that was one of von Clausewitz' main advices about war. I hope there are something about alliance difficulties in HoI3, perhaps even PSYOPS.

What options are needed IMO:
1. Standard Peace (return to the pre-war borders)
2. Cease Fire (peace at actual frontline borders)
3. Surrender (claims go to the winner)
4. Annexation

1. Would appear to be already in if you have no territory claims and/or you do not occupy your claims.
2. Unknown - and which is what people are getting so het up about.
3. Already in.
4. Already in.

Don't post here much but I must say I'm very dissapointed about the new Peace System (or complete lack of as it would be).

Its imperrative that there's a peace system as I love taking control of countries not neccessarily part of WW2 and slowly invading my neighbourghs using peace deals as I don't requite all their land I just like certain areas to take IC, I'm not arsed about an island half the world away that I'd have to get to end the fighting or perceived war status.

Its imperrative that there's a peace system as I love taking control of countries not neccessarily part of WW2 and slowly invading my neighbourghs using peace deals as I don't requite all their land I just like certain areas to take IC, I'm not arsed about an island half the world away that I'd have to get to end the fighting or perceived war status.
You won't have to. Johan has said there will be a "Sign peace with occupied claims going to occupier" option. Just claim the IC province you want (no detail on how that will work, yet - much anticipated), invade and occupy that province, sign 'status quo' peace. This won't work if your opponent is part of a major alliance, but then that's not the scenario you posit and I don't get the impression it's what you want (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The only thing I think could be usefully added is a "ceasefire" option that does not give actual peace, but can be used to jockey for advantage, resting and reinforcing and maybe manufacturing further claims... I think that's a development for a future expansion, though - it's not essential for the basic game. Such a mechanism could open up Cold War possibilities - hmmm, interesting.