• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Before we start talking about this, let’s just quickly recap. Technology components are modular and can affect more than one unit type. Divisions too are modular and can be customised with different brigade types. This week we are going to talk a little about how these work and also drop a few details about how technology can be shared.

Of course we have defined model names for air and land units, as we did with ships. For air units this is the unit itself, for land unit these are the component brigades. When it comes to upgrading, the land unit brigades upgrade separately. Note the division is still the smallest tactical unit and the land unit and its brigades are indivisible, but for technology purposes the brigades are distinct. Once the right technology levels are reached the brigade (or air unit) will change model name to reflect it’s new stats. In the case of air and land units you always build at the best technology available. However with ships we have added the option to downgrade your ships for faster, cheaper building. Thus if those pesky submarines are massacring your convoys and you want to fire out some quick destroyers to help combat them, then you can. You can basically decide exactly which model to use for each technology affecting that kind of ship.

For technologies themselves we have added support for flavour names. So instead of Germany developing Infantry small Arms year 1943 we get Sturmgewehr 44. Although I doubt every tech for every country will end up being named, we will certainly be adding quite a few for the majors.

We have also added a pretty neat form of technology sharing, building units under licence. You can buy the right to build units from other countries at their technology and practical experience level but with your IC. When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name (until you upgrade it) and increases your own practical experience (which will assist your own research efforts in the future). This costs money but can be money well spent. Of course, these, as well as expeditionary forces retain the model & tech names of their origin, until upgraded.

alpha_mar4.jpg

Here is an example of how this is all scripted..

units\models\ENG.txt
Code:
battleship.3 = {
	capitalship_armament = 2
	battleship_antiaircraft = 3
	battleship_engine = 2
	battleship_armour = 2
	largewarship_radar = 0
	battlefleet_concentration_doctrine = 0 
	battleship_crew_training = 0 
}

localisation\\technology.csv
Code:
ENG_capitalship_armament_2;14'' MK VII;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
ENG_battleship_antiaircraft_3;QF 5 1/4'' Mark I;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x 
ENG_battleship_engine_2;Admiralty 3 Drum Boiler;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x 
ENG_battleship_armour_2;14.7'' Main Belt;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

So for example battleship.3:

battleship.3 = {
capitalship_armament = 2
battleship_antiaircraft = 3
battleship_engine = 2
battleship_armour = 2
largewarship_radar = 0
battlefleet_concentration_doctrine = 0
battleship_crew_training = 0
}

Is this the minimum standard needed in every tech level to be a level3 BB?

So I have "capitalship_armament = 3" but only "battleship_antiaircraft = 2" I don't get the new level, even if I developed some other techs further?

Or how does reaching the newer "model" work?

Model = name.
tech = stats.

:confused: Hmmm, I don't get this.....

F.e. when "battleship.3" is called Bismarck and "battleship.4" is called H-Class for flavour, when does it come to the switch between those?

....or do I have to give these names manually per gusto?

its called "Bismarck-Class +*" if its closest to battleship.3... "Bismarck-Class" if its exactly battleship.3

So can you refit? Put your ship in a port for a certain period of time while components are upgraded?

From an earlier Dev Diary

"We have also scraped the naval attachment system all together and instead we have defined each individual technology to be upgradeable or not (surprisingly this is also fully modable). For ships it means you can partially upgrade old ships. If you build a ship its main gun armament is fixed for all time, however its anti-aircraft batteries are very much upgradeable. We feel this system sets up the right blend of newer ships being better than older ships without the old ships simply being useless."

Thats the worst part Ive heard so far...
It really makes me dissapointed - better PI says something about that...

I said Note the division is still the smallest tactical unit and the land unit and its brigades are indivisible, but for technology purposes the brigades are distinct.

A division fights as one indivisible entity. They move as one indivisible entity.

What has that to do with how you reorganise them?

About the building under licence feature...

I assume you can't exploit the feature, by, let's say, asking Germany as USA in 1936 to build 100 BBs (you can afford that as USA) and completly kill their IC this way? :D

But the USA pays the IC cost, the Germans only provide the tech and get some money. So if you really want to do this and kill your own IC you are more than welcome to.

Right, my mistake, it's production under licence, not ordering production abroad. Thanks for clarifying that. :)

They key thing of course is you gain the practical for it, boosting your own R&D efforts in that field.

This seems a cool idea, particularly if one is playing a mid-level power wanting to expand his naval projection. It would certainly be cool if I, as Franco's Spain, was able to buy the blueprints for a couple of Admiral Hipper-class heavy cruisers to start off my new, all-fascist Mediterranean fleet. :D

thats the plan.

As I understand it, once I as a country build a unit under license I get the techs for it. But doesn't that mean that I could be skipping A LOT of research? If Germany allows Hungary to build Panthers under license when their tech level would've allowed them to build only Mark III's, isn't that sort of unfair? It'll also have the side effect of alliances (whether axis, allies or comintern) being at the same tech level since all you'll do is divide up the research then let each other build under license for free so you can get the rest of the techs.
Any thoughts?

Trade always costs money, unless you are Comintern of course.

When country, which for example had not developed fighters till 1943, wonts develope it's own fighters, does it have to start from WW1 model or is it possible to get some blueprints and start the developement from more modern level?

Or it could just buy a production licience, accumulate practical and researhc faster.

What is the exactly meaning of the "When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name"?

Does that means I only need to buy the license once, then I can build as many as I wish? Or I need to pay for every units I built?

It means if you buy the licence to build a Sherman tank from the US, then you the unit will be built and named as a Sherman regardless of which model name your country would of given it.

perfect system, but a example:

Brazil just bought Shermans, Infantry equipament, P47 planes and a lot of U.S. equipament during WW2. They dont built nothing.

How can this will appers in HoI 3?

you spend your IC for it for gamebalance purposes.

Thanks. I can understand about model name part now. But is there any limit of how many tanks could I build? Does that number related with the money I paid to US?

It is related to the ammount of money you pay. Each licence covers one division.

I noticed dates on that tech screen . . .does that mean those regressive, unrealistic, "tech date" penalties from HOI2 have been carried over?

Yes we think they add realism by putting a barrier to tech rushing.

Got it. Thanks.

So what is the differents between "When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name" and "these, as well as expeditionary forces retain the model & tech names of their origin"? I'm really confused by these at first, does that say the same thing?

They are saying the same thing. I buy the right to build a Sherman Equipped division from the USA and the USA sends me a Sherman Equipped Division as an expeditionary force in both cases the unit will be called a Sherman not my flavour name model.