• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(4271)

General
Jun 6, 2001
While the Mods are working feverishly (no joke, we must have about 16-18 discussion threads going on the many aspects of E3!) I thought I would share this with the rest of you and see if anyone has had a similar experience:

Deja V'EU:Whens aspects of EUtopia creep into your daily life.

Example:

Today, preparing for a meeting with the new owner of our office building, I am standing outside his new office, a newly rennovated building across the street. Some of it looks great, some of it is still under repair.

Next to the door is a oak wooden panel. The name of the owner's company has not been put up yet. Instead there are holes in the wood surface where the previous occupant's sign had hung. These holes must have been for the studs or pegs in the back of the lettering for the sign, so that by connecting the dots, you could make out the name of the now-defunct business which had gone backrupt and left this building for purchase by its new owner.

The name of the long-gone previous owner?

The J O S E P H U S Group!

Another example: I'm in Washington, DC at a conference with people from all over the nation (the same meeting with the infamous malfunctioning hotel keyboard). At the reception, I stare up from my chicken satays and mushroom caps and catch the name tag of the middle aged woman getting an appettizer from the steam tray next to me?

L U N D G R E N

I think her first name might have been Sarah. Without thinking I started to say, "Excuse me but you don't happen to know a ...." but I caught myself after the "Excuse me " part, at which point she graciously moved to allow me access to that tray.

There have been others, but these are two recent ones that stand out.

This ever happen to anyone else?

i actualy do have a sister named sara :eek:

but she isnt in dc

there arent a WHOLE lot of lundgrens here so it is remotely possible she is my cousin or something :)

I did mention a while back that I got a press release at work promoting some jazz guitar player named Jake Langley. This was at the height of the Josephus-Langley wars too, so it made me laugh my ass off. :rofl:

Back around Detroit where our family lived for a few months there was a Haggerty Road, and I frequently called it "Heagarty Road" and had to correct myself...

...and then there's Talbott's department store...

Hajji Giray I said:
...and then there's Talbott's department store...
...ah, but that's only with one T.

I know I saw a "Josephus" with something pretty recently...can't remember in what context though.

I'm pretty sure that Eutopia's Pierre Talbott is the only one in existence (well, not that Pierre Talbott actually exists in the first place)...if anyone finds a reference to a real Pierre Talbott, they have my heartiest congratulations.

I once caught myself getting pissed at Bush for the Lt Hanson affair in Farpoint :D I felt pretty crazy after that. My grasp on reality isn't terribly strong.

Well, I got back from Montreal vacation early because we didn't like Montreal and decided to leave early...but on the other hand, I watched out during the trip carefully for Deja V'EU...and found a LOT.

Driving down the 401/416 to Ottawa, we saw a sign for "CFB/BFC". I was wondering what it meant - and then it hit me: Blade! Family Conglomerate. (Actually, BFC is "Base des Forces Canadienne")

In Ottawa (home of the Zaphod Beeblebrox Nightclub) all the fire extinguishers in our hotel were marked CRONIN....Alfred Cronin being a character in neighboring Jedvia (does that count? :D )

But the two scariest bits were in Montreal. On the freeway coming into town, one of the first exits was Rue Morgan. I wouldn't point this out as special, except that the very next exit was Rue St. Charles!!! :eek: And in the hotel room I was flipping through the phone book and found...gasp! :eek: BRUTOPIA!
Erc said:
I'm pretty sure that Eutopia's Pierre Talbott is the only one in existence (well, not that Pierre Talbott actually exists in the first place)...if anyone finds a reference to a real Pierre Talbott, they have my heartiest congratulations.
Bzzzt...in the Ottawa and Montreal phone books there's a combined total of about two dozen P Talbotts. Canadians don't usually include first names - just first initials - so I can't tell you for sure if any of the over 20 P Talbotts are Peter, Paul, Pierre, or Pungent, or whatever. But at least one of them has to be Pierre, because of the large French population...maybe...

EDIT: A Googlesearch for Pierre Talbott yields three results. One is forum.paradoxplaza.com, one is europa-universalis.com/forums/, and the third is one of those crappy advert sites that adds your search query into the page's text so you'll click on it.

While on Vacation in Oregon...

I heard an ad for a company called ENTEK...
I saw a landscape by the "Netherlandish" artist de Vlaminck...
I saw a lighthouse nicknamed "Terrible Tilly"...
I drove over Haynes Inlet...
I passed by Guy W. Talbot State Park...

ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!

I saw a German register plate with letters "NE" and i thought:"Hey, maybe that's Neuwestbaden"

While driving through Portsmouth VA, (Port Norfolk, to be more precise) I saw a sign that said W.E.T. I became depressed when I question why the Western Eutopian Territory was so far east :wacko: :)

Saw a book in Borders' today by a certain Dr. Ron Glasser...

Also saw a bumper sticker (you know, one of those fake country code ones) labelled "CC"...when combined with the "Support our Troops" bumper sticker, I naturally assumed that the guy was a good upstanding Conservative Coalition supporter...

Hagerty Hall is right across from my law school building...

You know what's name of producer of Stargate SG1:

Jonathan Glassner!Really!

:D :D :D

There were headlines about CAFTA (Central American Free Trade Association, not Central Atlantic Free Trade Association) a while back when CAFTA was still being discuss here.

In the Indian Resturant in town, they serve Tilapia Fish. :D