• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(523554)

Recruit
3 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
Tried searching for the answer but couldn't find it. I just bought King Arthur 2 on Origin as it was half price but they don't have the Dead Legion's DLC there, now I've gone on Green Man Gaming and Gamers Gate and both product descriptions say you need the base KA2 on Steam to play but somebody in the comments section on GMG stated you don't need the base game on Steam. Now Steam won't let me register my Origin bought KA2 on there so if I bought Dead Legions could I play it independently of it being on Origin or would I have to buy a 2nd copy of the base game on Steam to play Dead Legions ( it goes without saying the 2nd option is not something I'd be wanting to do). Thanks for any help.

Tried searching for the answer but couldn't find it. I just bought King Arthur 2 on Origin as it was half price but they don't have the Dead Legion's DLC there, now I've gone on Green Man Gaming and Gamers Gate and both product descriptions say you need the base KA2 on Steam to play but somebody in the comments section on GMG stated you don't need the base game on Steam. Now Steam won't let me register my Origin bought KA2 on there so if I bought Dead Legions could I play it independently of it being on Origin or would I have to buy a 2nd copy of the base game on Steam to play Dead Legions ( it goes without saying the 2nd option is not something I'd be wanting to do). Thanks for any help.

Hi Matt,

I doubt STEAM would let you buy a DLC unless you have the base game already on there. At least from my experience.

Some DLCs brought from retailers other than STEAM, can be installed on the base product if brought on Steam.
But not viceversa. (at least not in my experience)

Steam and Origin are two separate retailers so "as a rule" - I would generally only by DLC for Origin based games from Origin.
Steam is a little more complicated... some retailers sell DLCs that give you a steam code. Gamers Gate for instance.

Though Im not 100% knowledgeable as there doesnt seem to be a golden rule for how these things operate. However - Id strongly suggest listening to product descriptions.

Bottom lineL Dont buy the DLC from anywhere other than where brought the base game unless you got the base game from/on Steam. Then "other" outlets may just sell you a Steam code.

Yes, it´s possible. I bought the DLC from Steam while having the game bought in a store. No problem, after you have announced the original to steam of course.

Regards,
Thorsten