• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kmh42

General
49 Badges
Apr 13, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
What does this do and how exactly does it work?
I did a search in the forums and got this:
De jure Requirement: Default/Required. On default, nothing changes, but with “Required” characters who hold titles which have de jure land will eventually lose the title if they don’t hold any of the de jure land.
E: It's a chance on death. Title is destroyed. You get a strong claim on the area.
I did a test setup. I booted up the 769 start date with this game rule on. I gave the titles d_fes to an random Eastern European pagan and killed him... and his successor... and the next ten successors. But the titles still is held by this pagan lord. Do I misunderstand something here?

Last edited:
ähm. if I understand it correctly

it is possible to hold a duchy on default without holding de jure countries in it
for example if you start as King of León but get kicked out from there by the muslims you will even stay King of León if your last titles is a random country in Ireland. On required you would loose that King titles and became a count

at least that's what i think

If character holds title but not any dejure land in it, after around 10 years event will trigger which will remove it from him and give strong claim.
You are right. I let a observer game running for 10 years and this title got destroyed without the death of the ruler.

So how does this work with empires created with "create a new empire" button. In my recent game I started as duke of Toulouse, created Kingdom of Toulouse then created Empire of Toulouse for just for fun. And after succession I lost all of my vassals because I have ne de jure land in Empire of Toulouse! It's a created empire of course there is no de jure land. So what is the point of creating empires if I'm going to lose everything on succession. It ruined my game.

When you create a custom empire, its de jure territory becomes all kingdoms either held or entirely controlled by you, as long as their original de jure empire does not exist. Obviously you can then de jure drift other kingdoms into its territory, if you have enough time.

When you create a custom empire, its de jure territory becomes all kingdoms either held or entirely controlled by you, as long as their original de jure empire does not exist. Obviously you can then de jure drift other kingdoms into its territory, if you have enough time.

I had all of the territory of kingdom of Aquitaine when i created the empire but i didn't usurp it from France because i had 4 sons and i didn't want my succession to change to gavelkind. I also could create navarra ( i didn't have the ducy of navarra). Come on then why the game let me create an empire? I was very strong and fully built power base in Toulouse, i invested a lot. I could defeat anybody around me.

If character holds title but not any dejure land in it, after around 10 years event will trigger which will remove it from him and give strong claim.
Where did you can this info concerning the 10 years?
You are right. I let a observer game running for 10 years and this title got destroyed without the death of the ruler.
If I remember correctly it's in event description.

The time is 5 years, as the event in question (GR.1) is fired from on_five_year_pulse

Note that it can happen sooner than five years as the check is done around every five years, and is not a countdown from when the last de jure title was lost.

The event description does not specify the time:

"As you hold no De Jure land within the [title_to_destroy.GetTier] of [title_to_destroy.GetName] you can no longer rightfully claim to be its ruler. You are now regarded as a mere claimant to a throne outside your reach."

EDIT: This only affects titles with actual de jure land, so titular titles and landless titles (like mercenary bands) are unaffected.

The time is 5 years, as the event in question (GR.1) is fired from on_five_year_pulse

Note that it can happen sooner than five years as the check is done around every five years, and is not a countdown from when the last de jure title was lost.

The event description does not specify the time:

"As you hold no De Jure land within the [title_to_destroy.GetTier] of [title_to_destroy.GetName] you can no longer rightfully claim to be its ruler. You are now regarded as a mere claimant to a throne outside your reach."

EDIT: This only affects titles with actual de jure land, so titular titles and landless titles (like mercenary bands) are unaffected.

Thanks for your answer. When I was creating empire I thought it is gonna be like a titular empire. Game let me create an empire without any de jure land so I thought it won't be a problem. Then the game decided it wants to take back my empire because i have no de jure land in an empire which doesn't have any de jure land. It would be nice if the create an empire decision modified so people won't have problems like this in the future.

Weird, as I've seen the 769 Duke of Transjurania lose his title if I didn't transfer the Count of Vaud to him in the opening year.