• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wonder if Allies have enough divisions protecting India. They had some time to recreate their armies, after all.

Seeing as that oeration overlord has failed nukes are probably their only hope.

Whats happening in Spain?

Enewald - Every month should be for the Soviets a month full of encirclements. A civil war I could event up one once the world is grey, who knows, if I want to continue this AAR up to that point.

Baladriel - I have no information about their military strenght in the Far East, although they are progressing through Siberia and Mongolia, so they should have at least a sizable force afterall. That might or might not be in India.

joespaniel - I hope I won't know it the hard way, though, I have to say, it would really give the game a nice twist.

Mozla - Time is against them, though. In Spain they are just stocking up their divisions, with the Gibraltar numbers growing every day.

ultimax - The World looks really similar to what it was in 1944, with the exception of Europe of course, but also the Far East. Von Ribbentrop usually updates our World knowledge whenever something worthy of notice happens. You'll see a couple of screens about the Far East, as there's little else out of that.

Falcken - Thanks and welcome :) I usually take two hours, without counting the time spent in playing the game - much less than the editing and writing, of course. Being the software purist I am, I use plain Paint and Notepad and MWSnap to capture images, freeware and it stores my image files exactly where I want to with a sequential name, which comes in handy. It does take some time to edit all the images the way I want to, and so does thinking what to write. This kind of narration tends to be repetitive, especially with long battles like WiF's, so it takes a bit to create something different everytime. Not that I do always accomplish that.

October update.

Cabinet Meeting October 1946

0000 October 1st 1946
Reichstag, Berlin

"Good day everyone. September has been a fruitful month in regards to our campaign in the Soviet Union. Albert, how has this influenced our industry and production."

"Good day Martin. There have been slight improvements concerning our industrial capacity, while oil stockpiles are worrying as usual."​

104-01-Production.jpg

"We are expanding our Nuclear Reactor once again, so this is putting considerable strain on our industry: we can only sustain little more fifty percent out of our commissioned production at the moment, with three Jagdgeschwader and three Garrison divisions being prioritized. Other sectors' demands like Supplies and Upgrades are well satisfied.

Talking about manpower and transport capacity, this month we lost around 80-90,000; our June-September casualty figures range from estimates as low as 350,000 and as high as 400,000. During the same time lapse the Soviets should have lost something more than 1,700,000 in encirclements and battles, but take those numbers with a pinch of salt.

We can support only half of our logistical needs. This situation won't change in the short term, as we need extensive military control all over European Russia to quell the partisans sabotaging our supply lines. Fortunately, with the Soviet Army in disastrous conditions, this is only a medium concern."

"Ernst, can you confirm what Albert said about Soviet casualties estimates?"

"I know as much as he does, actually. We suppose that number is the most accurate report."​

104-02-SOVEsp.jpg

"Our June 1st intelligence report on the Soviet Union estimated a rough number of 250 infantry divisions and 38 armored divisions. Today, these numbers are down to 130 and 12 respectively, roughly half of their initial setup at the beginning of this Summer season. That is not all: this report does not count the Brest-Litovsk encirclement, where Guderian is still fighting against 35 Soviet divisions trapped in the city. Basically, we're close to cutting the Red Army to less than 100 divisions by the end of this year.

Our thrust into the Ukraine has also damaged their industry, whose complexes are down by 35 from last month, also greatly reducing their total output. They also seem to be out of hard cash too, as their technological progress is almost the same as one month ago."​

104-03-USEsp.jpg

"I will show for the sake of information our intelligence reports about the US and England, as usual, but there's really nothing to say. The industrial might of the US will soon crush ours by a 3:1 disparity if it continues to grow that way."​

104-04-ENGEsp.jpg

"Nothing new about the UK either. Our numbers are too unreliable to speak about them. Last month they had 245 infantry divisions, today they have 199. With our nation being the sole biggest threat to the UK's Army, I don't see aliens from Mars destroying fifty of their divisions and escaping unnoticed."

"I guess not. Didn't know they had so many divisions though. So Heinz, how's your battle progressing? Are we going to close this encirclement soon?"

"Brest-Litovsk will fall somewhere during mid-October is my guess. My presence here, away from direct command of the battle, can testify the integrity of our situation. The Soviets are, simply put... ruined.

"... ruined?" said Ringel with a pinch of ilarity in his expression.

"Yes, pretty much. When you are facing the British wearing fur coats and drinking tea in Archangelsk you have seen everything worth to see in this worldly life."​

104-05-Archangelsk.jpg

"We won't be able to take Archangelsk with our current forces. I think we'll have to wait the New Year for some progress in this region. We need to take it however, as we don't want another Gibraltar covered with ice."​

104-06-North.jpg

"We are progressing little beyond Moscow as we aren't allocating many divisions to this region. Our main objective has been Ukraine and its hefty portion of the Red Army, so it's logical that we don't have many divisions guarding the heart of the Soviet Union. Not that there's something worthy to be called an 'attacking force' on the Soviets' part."​

104-07-Sud.jpg

"Here's my battle. We're feeling so pity towards the Soviet occupants that we have offered them a quick death rather than a painful one. Too bad they're resisting with whatever means at their disposal."​

104-08-Stalino.jpg

"This month we'll continue expanding our forces throughout the Ukraine and a bit elsewhere. I have highlighted five provinces which, if captured would probably provide the final blow to the Soviet Union's stockpiles of Energy and Metal, and greatly enhance ours, although these are materials which we have in abundance already. krivoy Rog, Dnepropetrovsk, Zaporozhye, Stalino, they have plenty of coal waiting for new extractors - or better, the old ones until 1944; Kursk has metal in excess too, and is a nice target, also being a nice name to write in our wishlist. And yet another stain on the Soviet Army. Now that it almost doesn't exist anymore, the Soviet Union is up for grabs I guess. Even the British and the US want to grab a piece of it."

"You are quite correct, I was about to ask Joachim about this month's news about the Soviet-Allied war."

"There's little to report, if not for the Allies gaining ground everywhere."​

104-09-MiddleEast.jpg

"Although Baku is not in British hands yet, they are making progress in the Caucasus, with the Soviets firmly driven out of Iran."​

104-10-FarEast.jpg

"The Allies are saving us a lot of dirty work when it is going to come to the Soviet capitulation. A lot of dirt and ice is what they gained this month, and they've been doing this for months. I think we shouldn't disturb them."

"Excellent. It's amusing that the Allies seem to be so willing to help us. Perhaps they have realized that their true enemy is Bolshevism, or something like this Hitler would have said. We should pay a visit to him just to ask what he thinks about the Allies attacking the Soviets."

"He wouldn't believe us." von Rundstedt answered with a firm pitch.

"Yes yes, I was making fun of him, Erich. It's a shame that many of us were like him, fortunately the Allies opened our eyes when they landed in France. Perhaps we should thank them one day."

"With a tank parade in Washington D.C., we will for sure" Guderian promptly interevened.

"I don't know if we'll live enough to accomplish that, but I have to say that the destruction of the Kremlin has been a heart-breaking experience already. It makes me shudder the fact that a Red Flag on the Reichstag was a concrete possibility only a few years ago. Now it's a whole other thing... a whole other world."​

The red flag shall burn before the christmas comes. Would you allow them to enter a civil war. :eek:o;)
The rest of red army officers should be pretty sad with Stalin at this point. :D

Are you going for a signed peace or total victory over the reds?

Either way your going to bump into those Yanks

I'm confused and please to reply. Why the hell are all the soviet forces undersupplied? At least at the start.

Oh and it seems you have way to many troops as germany in the east. The soviets are supposed to be 2:1 at least and instead its 1:1

Maybe I'm just seeing wrong.

Ahh nvm, it's the AI that's just stupid.
Seems the AI is perhaps worse in World In Flames than vanilla.
It is way to eager, giving in to easily to "gamey" tactics.

That thing in Strij was smart of you but the thing in Romania that the AI sent in 20 units without any rear guard was just moronic.
To easy AI, good AAR anyway.

Last edited:
Enewald - 1947 and most probably 1948 will be years where the Soviet Union still exists as a nation.

Mozla - Total victory is of course the way to go. Those silly Americans are just facing the easy part now.

Austria Hungary - Ask and be satisfied :)

Ondis - It is a common problem that the AI is unable to allocate its IC in a fair manner. Also the Soviet industry is experiencing a heavy shortage of materials, which doesn't help things either. The result is, most times the whole Soviet army is out of supply for several hours a day.

Update soon.

Enewald - 1947 and most probably 1948 will be years where the Soviet Union still exists as a nation.

Mozla - Total victory is of course the way to go. Those silly Americans are just facing the easy part now.

Austria Hungary - Ask and be satisfied :)

Ondis - It is a common problem that the AI is unable to allocate its IC in a fair manner. Also the Soviet industry is experiencing a heavy shortage of materials, which doesn't help things either. The result is, most times the whole Soviet army is out of supply for several hours a day.

Update soon.

Never seen that in my games and if anything the USSR never had a shortage of materials or supplies. I am yet to hear one single time in history where the Soviets had problems with supplying their troops (if not encircled like in Leningrad and EVEN THEN they managed).

Seems the AI is just to bad...Or well I've never seen this happen in Vanilla.

101-09-Sud.jpg

^that just shouldn't happen.

So the world is going to be painted grey:)

Picture

^that just shouldn't happen.

Oh yes ist should. In this particular mod Blitzkrieg with massive pockets is the only way to beat the AI on his difficulty setting. And even then its bloody hard.

Ondis, trekaddict - Let me remind this is World in Flames, so it does add a bit of difference. Also, the Soviet Union is at war with me and the Allies, so it leaves little to trade with. And, as trekaddict pointed out, there aren't many ways to achieve victory against the SU if not with this. And even then, I've been helped by a somewhat lucky encirclement of 100+ divisions back in Sept. 1944. I wouldn't have lost perhaps, because Operation Overlord was over by then, so that means I could transfer my troops to the Ostline; but I'd have lost Poland and Romania for sure.

EDIT - Whoops, didn't see you edited the message. A lot of Soviet troops have been destroyed thanks to the Luftwaffe, that's not the mod's fault. Just to clarify, I don't want to let people think that Fernando Torres has made a crappy AI: 1944 is not part of the World in Flames mod, so he never designed an AI for the 1944 scenario. As far as gamey tactics go, you are pretty much right. Though I try to avoid them as much as possible, it's improbable that I can completely abstain from their use, if we consider CAS as gamey too (and it is, at a massive extent like mine). I have to agree that the AI had just thrown 20 of their divisions to hell, and that's unexplainable. At least those one hundred divisions I did lure them into the trap.

Mozla - Yep. World domination.

Last edited:
Die rote Götterdämmerung

1200 October 10th 1946
4. Armeekorps, Kursk

The first among the various territorial objectives that Germany had to achieve was fulfilled: Kursk was under German hands whereas three years ago it swarmed with Soviet tanks. Now it was just yet another province of the German Reich.​

105-01-Kursk.jpg

Curiously, it was captured by a Finnish Army Corps, that of von Mannerheim; seeing as there weren't any more Reds to chase in Finland, the old Field Marshal enjoyed a vacation in Russia.​

105-02-Sumy.jpg

As it was expected, the Soviets know how to teletransport their leaders but fortunately not their divisions out of their pockets. Zhukov could be assigned to a remote Tank Corps as far as in Siberia, battling the Americans. The following hour, he would command the defense of some other nameless province on the other tip of the Soviet Union. This time he magically appeared in Sumy, where he enjoyed enlarging his already long strike of consequential defeats.​

105-03-Snow.jpg

Time was getting a little short for a quick offensive as the first snow fell over Russia and the Ukraine too. Any attempt at encircling the remaining part of the Ukraine had to be executed immediately.​

105-04-BrestLitovsk.jpg

In the meanwhile, the battle of Brest-Litovsk still raged on. Guderian predicted that the pocket would surrender by mid-October. He almost guessed it right, seeing as the exhausted pocket would be able to fight for some other days, but had been virtually defeated.​

0500 October 19th 1946
XXVII. Korps, Melitopol

A few days of march was all that took to encircle what little had been left of the Soviet forces in the Ukraine. The disparity of numbers was too much to counter any German attempt at reaching the Black Sea.​

105-05-UkrainePocket.jpg

Lt. General Busse sealed the Soviets off the mainland. His two divisions were enough to prevent the Soviets from breaking the pocket which, however, was supplied by sea.​

105-06-Mogilev.jpg

The best way of escaping this pocket is clearly attacking west, or so some Soviet commander thought. Either they lacked maps and compasses, or Stalin was right about his generals just this once.​

0500 October 21st 1946
Brest Litovsk, Poland

After nearly one month of tenacious fighting, the Soviets gave in to German superiority.​

105-07-BrestLitovskWin.jpg

Thirty-five Soviet divisions meekly quitted the laurels of History without any honour nor glory. But those who fought them would praise their animosity and courage in spite of the fact that their doom was certain.​

0000 October 26th 1946
Intelligence Dept., Berlin

German aircraft models were among the finest in the whole world, but there hadn't been any progress in this field of research lately.​

105-08-ImprovedTurbojetFighter.jpg

Messerschmitt demonstrated that this was not true at all: new fighters would counter the menace of swarms of Allied planes flying over Europe. Heinkel would work on making even deadlier Dive bombers.​

1100 October 29th 1946
Dnepropetovsk, Ukraine

The Dive bombers at Germany's disposal, however, were enough to make the Soviets suffer without any need of improving them.​

105-09-Dnepr.jpg

While the Soviets were busy figuring out what direction they should have taken to break the pocket, the Luftwaffe proceeded to soften up the already depleted divisions in the eastern tip of the pocket.​

105-10-Krivoy.jpg

On October 30th, under a freezing temperature, land divisions began to shrink the pocket: twenty German divisions would try to cross the Dnepr once again. What the Soviet possessed was four divisions and a lot of courage.​

Oh my god WIF winter battle those can take forever. Id use the Luftwaffe to destroy them utterly where they stand.