Darkest hour vs HoI 3 For the mother land

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I left single units for garrisoning duties when I don't have enough divisions. I can't afford to leave 3 division stack for guarding Yugoslavia for example.

The optimal to have for that would be two GAR plus an ART.

Honestly, I wish Majors could control two units, it would be so much easier (I know some mods did this).

Honestly, I wish Majors could control two units, it would be so much easier (I know some mods did this).

That's already changed for 1.03. Currently it is still in testing, but unless we find a problem it will remain as it is:
# Land Leader Command Limit (nr of divisions), Rank 0 (highest)
# Land Leader Command Limit (nr of divisions), Rank 1
# Land Leader Command Limit (nr of divisions), Rank 2
# Land Leader Command Limit (nr of divisions), Rank 3 (lowest)

One thing I dislike is that DH is still very inflexible when it comes to the AI responsiveness and that it's still very event-driven. You can say many bad things about HOI3's AI, but it reacts to both historical and unhistorical situations as best as it can. If it suxx at doing sth, then it will suxx at this no matter what and if it is capable of doing sth, then it will be capable even if you do ahistorical things. In HOI2, the AI is scripted to react to historical and some semi-historical situations, but outside of that, it's hopeless. For example, when I attack Manchukuo and Japan as the SU, in some cases they will not even cover the frontline properly and will not use their airforce against me, which will still be stuck in China, while the HOI3's AI doesn't have problems like that. It doesn't meant that it will not fail - on the contrary, it fails often, but at least it knows what to do because of the generic nature of its scripts.

Another problem is the lack of any logistical system. HOI3's system has some problems and design flaws, but in most cases it works quite well and it really limits your actions in many areas.

Hardly surprsing to see that many people complaining about HoI3 FTM when being asked to compare the afore mentioned game with DH... in the DH section.

Surprising to see people complaining about HoI3 who did not register the game here. Kind of leaves me in doubt whether they actually own the game and thus can make a useful contribution to the game.

Personally, owning both games, I am rather frustrated with DH. It promised a great WWI scenario which is just not worth my time right now due to not having recieved much attention until now. I'll give it a try once 1.03 is out.
The decision based events are a somewhat nice idea, but combined with a rather weird trade system it's hard to imagine some decisions ever firing without using cheats.
Intelligence is, in my opinion, way too cumberstone to use. I read the manual and it still doesn't do what I intended.

HoI 3 FTM has still supply problems and the AI needs a lot more development regarding troop movement and use of troops in general. However, it does work to a good degree and when you've experience the possibility of being able to concentrate only on your important units instead of micromanaging each and every unit, you'll see a lot of (imo) tedious work being taken off your shoulders. Micromanaging unit is for RTS, not for grand strategy games in my opinion. In HoI3 FTM, I can do that if I want to, but I don't have to bother eg with the whole Barbarossa front.

They are working on the WWI scenario IIRC. Also, DH's automated trade system is clearly superior to the HOI3's one.

I agree about micromanagement, but many players like to take the matters in their own hands and control everything directly ;).

Hardly surprsing to see that many people complaining about HoI3 FTM when being asked to compare the afore mentioned game with DH... in the DH section.

I have purchased HOI3 and SF and I must say, in agreement with most PI fans, it was a massive disappointment. Yes, automating the management of big fronts is a huge plus for me, but the huge downside is just how ridiculous HOI3 plays out 10/10 times. I played a new game with each new patch and every time there was a bug (USSR with no manpower at all or with 1000 IC), a godawful a-historical event (Axis US, GER has no tanks, no Pearl Harbor or Japan DOW...) or the game slowed down to paint drying speed. I've been tempted to give FTM a try, but I'll feel guilty paying more than $10, as this is the highest value I'd pay for a patch. I've been looking around to see if FTM saved the game but afaik it merely made the game playable and less broken.

DH is simple, it's straightforward (except for the intelligence part, I agree with you), has decent graphics, has a personality, it plays out mostly historically, and it's more of a challenge vis-a-vis HOI3. DH>HOI3 by a margin of 2 to 1 in my book. Sorry PI.:sad:

Pearl Harbor is by no means inevitable historically, why would it in a WWII related game? If you want to rehearse WWII, read a book about it.

Being upset about an ahistorical development looks kind of weird when you can start a Communist Germany in DH.

I didn't see much more than a patch in the so called expansion Semper Fi, too, but FTM is something different.

I've never once seen the Japanese A.I. in HoI III actually go through with the Pearl Harbor decision. I usually wait until late 1942 and, if the A.I. hasn't done it, switch to Japan and do it myself.

Being upset about an ahistorical development looks kind of weird when you can start a Communist Germany in DH.

It is by no means ahistorical that the Communists could have seized power in the politically unstable Germany of 1933. Afterall the main reason why the powerful and wealthy decided to support Hitler´s bid for power was fear of the communists who where quite popular amongst the general populace.