Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #7 - Missions, Interface and Leader Traits

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In reference to the Leader Traits, in AoD you can quickly sort the leaders in 5 different categories. Now the screenshot you posted is nice, but am I correct in seeing that when you hover over the traits of the leader you get that ugly looking list of modifiers?
I don't understand what you are referring to with "ugly looking list of modifiers". Can you be more specific?

Also you state that the "replacement" box helps find the leader you want faster then before, but I see nothing discussing what box checked does what for sorting to find that special leader you want to assign to your troops. Please explain more on what the "replacement" checkboxes mean.
The checkbox on the top are used to filter the rank. The dropbox is used to filter the trait. So if you need a Field Marshal with the Panzer Leader trait you have to uncheck the last three checkboxes and then choose "Panzer Leader" from the Dropbox: only the leader with that rank and that trait will be shown in the list below.

Moreover the numbers in the dropbox show the number of available leaders with that rank and that trait. So with just a glance you can discover if a leader with that rank and that trait is available or not, without even the need to modify the filter.

Last edited:
I don't think this screenshot has been posted here so here goes :

73577_158765327492273_143379419030864_251448_7671551_n.jpg

Howcome there's no beach in the La Havre province? Amiens too.

I don't understand what you are referring to with "ugly looking list of modifiers". Can you be more specific?

The checkbox on the top are used to filter the rank. The dropbox is used to filter the trait. So if you need a Field Marshal with the Panzer Leader trait you have to uncheck the last three checkboxes and then choose "Panzer Leader" from the Dropbox: only the leader with that rank and that trait will be shown in the list below.

Moreover the numbers in the dropbox show the number of available leaders with that rank and that trait. So with just a glance you can discover if a leader with that rank and that trait is available or not, without even the need to modify the filter.

Okay I understand a little more on this dropdown box with traits listing that is what I referred to as "Ugly looking modifiers" because all the numbers to the right of the trait have no meaning thus my comment. I still am confused on the checkboxes as how they correspond to the rank? How does someone know that checking off the last 3 boxes filters FM rank only? Get my point here? Maybe if you have a hover over tooltip for each box that explains what you are filtering in or out would be fantastic but as the original screenshot was posted it gave no reference to what boxes did what for filtering the rank of the leader. Thats all I was getting at. It is a nice feature, IMO a little too "stupid simple" though because I have no issues finding a leader I want when I know what I want to begin with.
Please dont turn this into a Microsoft simple stupid version of Vista! :rofl:

How does someone know that checking off the last 3 boxes filters FM rank only?
Actually, if you check the last three boxe, you get everything BUT the FM
Get my point here? Maybe if you have a hover over tooltip for each box that explains what you are filtering in or out would be fantastic but as the original screenshot was posted it gave no reference to what boxes did what for filtering the rank of the leader.
OK, understand you now, there are tooltips.Leader Filter.png

Howcome there's no beach in the La Havre province? Amiens too.

The amount of beaches has been slightly reduced.
There are three main possibilities for DDay in France : land in the Pas-de-Calais, which is the closest to Dover (only one sea zone to cross) but then your enemy can see your units on the English side ; land in Normandy, which implies to cross two sea zones ; same goes with Britanny.

Okay I understand a little more on this dropdown box with traits listing that is what I referred to as "Ugly looking modifiers" because all the numbers to the right of the trait have no meaning thus my comment. I still am confused on the checkboxes as how they correspond to the rank? How does someone know that checking off the last 3 boxes filters FM rank only? Get my point here? Maybe if you have a hover over tooltip for each box that explains what you are filtering in or out would be fantastic but as the original screenshot was posted it gave no reference to what boxes did what for filtering the rank of the leader. Thats all I was getting at. It is a nice feature, IMO a little too "stupid simple" though because I have no issues finding a leader I want when I know what I want to begin with.
Please dont turn this into a Microsoft simple stupid version of Vista! :rofl:
Well, there are tooltips, as pointed out above. And the numbers represent the number of available leaders with that trait for that rank. I hope this is clear enough for you now. :)
Our aim with this feature was to reduce the amount of time the player has to waste on useless tasks. If you want a Field Marshall with Panzer Leader traits with HOI2 you'd have to scroll over all the Field Marshalls to find one with that trait. Now, just by opening the drop box you know how many Field Marshalls with Panzer Leader traits are available. By selecting that trait, the leader list will be filtered and will be easier for you to choose one. Let me know if you need further clarifications. :)

The amount of beaches has been slightly reduced.
There are three main possibilities for DDay in France : land in the Pas-de-Calais, which is the closest to Dover (only one sea zone to cross) but then your enemy can see your units on the English side ; land in Normandy, which implies to cross two sea zones ; same goes with Britanny.

But this is unrealistic.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/58300/le_havre_plage.jpg This very much looks like a beach to me (from Le Havre).