Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #28 - Sneak Peak 1.03 - Combat rework and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reading this paragraph made me remember variables what I haven't seen talked about.

DH and the other Hearts of Iron games, seem to assume that the amount of daylight is the same in Australia and for example in Finland.
So could it be implemented that during summer in the northern hemisphere armies fight with day modifier the whole day and night ?
And during winter season there would be only minimal daylight time to fight on to simulate the fact that during midwinter the sun doesn't rise over the horizon.

This system however does complicate things as you'd have to do modifiers for each month and region.

I hope you understood what I meant, this ain't a simple phenomenon to explain.

It is kinda funny to see that winter season is exactly the same in places where the game puts the frozen tag.
Meaning that -2 degrees celcius with 5 centimetres of snow in Belgium is exactly the same as - 30 degrees celcius with 50 centimetres of snow in Siberia.
So is there any possiblity to add new modifiers to define winter, like
( 0 ) - ( -10 ) celcius = cold temperature, slightly decreases combat efficiency
( -11 ) - ( -40 ) celcius = really cold temp. , moderately decreases combat efficiency
( -41 ) - ( -90 ) celcius = extreme cold temp. , greatly decreases combat efficiency

( 0 ) - ( 5 ) centimetres of snow = mild snow density, slightly decreases combat efficiency
( 10 ) - ( 20 ) centimetres of snow = medium snow density, moderately decreases combat efficiency
( 30 ) - ( 90 ) centimetres of snow = huge snow density, greatly decreases combat efficiency

I might be overthinking things too far and I suspect that this kinda expanded weather model can be hard for the game engine to model.

And also

That was Heinz Guderian's line, not Patton's if I remember correctly

Aren't there two wintery conditions, those being Snow and Frozen? If that were the case I would just use snow for the light cases and use frozen for the worst cases. Snow though might be a combat penalty for aircraft. It also would be cool to have winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern as opposed to a global summer or global winter as I *think* it is right now.

Aren't there two wintery conditions, those being Snow and Frozen? If that were the case I would just use snow for the light cases and use frozen for the worst cases

frozen is a terrain type.
snow is a weather condition, so you can think of it as "snowing".
Practical it means you can have both at the same time.

Which is a really good thing actually.

Frozen represents cold weather, clear sky and hard ground. "ideal" conditions for operations, within the constraints low temperatures causes for man and machine.
When snowing starts, you get primarily a reduced range of sight, which hurt long range line of sight armaments like tanks pretty bad and limits all others, it also gets harder to move for foot troops when the snow mounts grow bigger and the snow gets high enough to limits movement, and even motoized units can get stuck.
And a blizzard is just a hellish snowstorm that makes pretty much everything impossible.

I know there are (some) connections between terrain types, weather types, climate zone and weatherpattern in the engine.
But none of us has yet concentrated on figuring out how this works in detail. Personally I think it's an interesting thematic and I would like to dive in right away, but there are a lot of more important things to do first.

It is kinda funny to see that winter season is exactly the same in places where the game puts the frozen tag.
Meaning that -2 degrees celcius with 5 centimetres of snow in Belgium is exactly the same as - 30 degrees celcius with 50 centimetres of snow in Siberia.

I agree with you on the base assumption, but I wouldn't like to add another variable in the mix, instead we have already two in the system that could be factored in.
1. climate zones (temperate, arctic, etc)
2. geographic coordinates, which could be used as a multiplier for winter severity depending

Last edited:
Hi http://www.strategium.ru. Hi ganni. I would really have liked to insult you directly in the thread, this forum severly limits my ability to do so, but I can't for some unexplainable reason finish the activation process. :(

So please just imagine I answered you in a way, a bad troll like you deserves. o/

And just for clarification, I never recieved any mail from this ganni.

Speaking of "frozen", any chance you can make it a less ridiculous penalty for operations? It's something like -90% at the moment, and there's no point in even attempting anything in those conditions. Also, winter equipment doesn't make any appreciable difference, the modifier's still enormous whether you have good coats or not.

Revolutionary combat system, indeed :D
How is it going to look? Because right now the biggest "frozen" problem is the fact that it's the same malus over the course of the winter, while in reality (at least my knowledge of it) the actual hard colds didn't hit till December. And every winter is the same when only 1941-42 were really bad.

The real difference came when mud changed into hard ground. This allowed the German troops to advance. It didn't last long, because then the severe winter came, but that's probably covered by blizzards/snowing weather.

Are you going to work on the WWI scenario, too? I understand that lots of the game mechanics will apply to the game at large, but will there be some refinements in that particular field as well?

Are you going to work on the WWI scenario, too? I understand that lots of the game mechanics will apply to the game at large, but will there be some refinements in that particular field as well?
I think that one of the ideas of the rework of the combat system was to increase the length of WWI battles and decrease the length of post-1940 battles.

I think that one of the ideas of the rework of the combat system was to increase the length of WWI battles and decrease the length of post-1940 battles.

correct

How is it going to look? Because right now the biggest "frozen" problem is the fact that it's the same malus over the course of the winter, while in reality (at least my knowledge of it) the actual hard colds didn't hit till December. And every winter is the same when only 1941-42 were really bad.

The real difference came when mud changed into hard ground. This allowed the German troops to advance. It didn't last long, because then the severe winter came, but that's probably covered by blizzards/snowing weather.

These are the values currently in use, they are just calculated and not yet tweak for balance, but to my positive suprise the progression of Barbarossa goes very historical in handsoff tests.
If things look different in real testgames, we always have the possibility to create some bad weather pattern to slow down progress via event. (something i consider for the finish wars aswell.
Don't forget there is also always an underlying terraintype modifier that gets factored in as well, that why the values for attack and defence are for the most part identical in this list.

Code:
MODIFIER;INF;CAV;MOT;MECH;L ARM;ARM;PARA;MAR;MTN;GARR
ATT_BLIZZARD;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85
ATT_SNOW;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-30;-40;-40;-40
ATT_FROZEN;-25;-25;-25;-50;-50;-40;-25;-25;-15;-25;-25;-25
ATT_MUDDY;-20;-65;-65;-65;-65;-65;-15;-15;-15;-20;-20;-20
DEF_BLIZZARD;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85;-85
DEF_SNOW;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-25;-40;-40;-30;-40;-40;-40
DEF_FROZEN;-25;-25;-25;-50;-50;-50;-25;-25;-15;-25;-25;-25
DEF_MUDDY;0;-56;-56;-56;-56;-56;0;0;0;0;0;0;35;35;0;15;0
MOV_BLIZZARD;-80;-70;-90;-90;-90;-90;-90;-80;-60;-80;-70;-80
MOV_SNOW;-40;-40;-40;-35;-40;-35;-40;-40;-10;-25;-25;-25
MOV_FROZEN;-25;-30;-10;0;0;0;-25;-25;25;-25;-25;-25
MOV_MUDDY;-60;-75;-93;-92;-92;-92;-50;-50;-50;-50;-50;-30

Last edited:
I like the new information of course, but one thing stood out for me:

It is possible to define different daylight period for different seasons.

I hope you can also define this per region then, because I would hate to see the daylength at the equator changing throughout the year, or to see southern-hemisphere daylight decrease during the European winter...

Imo penalties for snow should be still super big, but should be massively decreased by researching winter equipment.

add it all up and you will see they are. ;)
That was a general flaw in the former system, the individual modifers were much to high.

ATT_HILL;-25;-25;-33;-33;-33;-33;-25;-25;0;-25;-25;-25
ATT_FROZEN;-25;-25;-25;-50;-50;-40;-25;-25;-15;-25;-25;-25
ATT_SNOW;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-40;-30;-40;-40;-40

-90% for INF
-99%(maxvalue) for ARM

Winterequipment would mostly negate the effect of the frozen modifier, bad weather and the hinderance to movement, weaponrange etc, can't be really negated with a warm coat or a radiator in the tank.

I hope you can also define this per region then, because I would hate to see the daylength at the equator changing throughout the year, or to see southern-hemisphere daylight decrease during the European winter...

Seasons are determind by hemisphere and climatezone. At least I know it works that way for the weather.

It's a meatgrinder doctrine in the early 30's and catches up slowly first and more rapidly around 41 when the doctrine becomes more mobility based. But the soviet doctrines always maintained as certain quantity over quality focus, as shown in the historical casualty numbers.

But it's not one sided towards the manpower doctrines, allthough they have the highest losses in general. The mid 30s defensive doctrines, that relied extensively on old ww1 style trenches and static defense have a very high attrition aswell.

This is highly inaccurate and have been proven wrong in modern research.

1) Soviet total losses were slightly less than 3 times higher than German, but the ratio got so inflated mostly in the first part of the war, when Germans achieved fantastic victories, destroying hundreds of thousands of unprepared and poorly led troops with virtually no casualties. Later in the war losses were much more even and in '44 and '45 German irreplacable losses tended to be higher than Soviet, sometimes much higher.

2) Another flaw in the research is that usually no one considered minor Axis nations casualties. Minor Axis nations contributed until mid-1944 with a rather large percentage of total Axis troops (1/3 at times). Counting their losses make the ratio more comparable.

It shouldn't be like that in the game. One has to take into account the situation of the Soviet Union (purges, doctrinal shifts, inexperienced leadership, lacking experience etc...). Penalizing Soviets just because they are Soviets until the end of time is wrong.

It should be more like in reality - Wehrmacht moves like a hot knife through butter in 1941 and first half of '42, then Soviets start catching up and from mid '43 and onwards they become equal in terms of doctrines. I understand some penalties for gameplay purposes but it is silly to consider that Soviets were gonna use mass frontal charges and have bigger losses even in 1950 when the reasons why they had higher losses in the first place are gone.

Germany is now overpowered compared to SU, with its insane ORG, nerfing of SU tech teams and increasing cost in their most important 1943 doctrine techs. Putting in an additional, ahistorical and needless nerf is wrong.

I assume that Soviet-like doctrines get better with time. In fact, it has been like that in HOI2 as well IIRC.

I would argue that Soviet losses are too low on average in DH, considering their massive casualties IRL.

I assume that Soviet-like doctrines get better with time. In fact, it has been like that in HOI2 as well IIRC.

I would argue that Soviet losses are too low on average in DH, considering their massive casualties IRL.

Yep.

I was actually thinking about taking Sarmatian post apart but lets keep it simple.

The pattern he describes is basicly how the doctrines develop, I never said anything else.
No idea what the complains are about, as he himself says that soviet losses were considerably higher, even still in 39.

I really hope it's some languagebarrier problem, as I can see no understanding of the modern research he mentions, or the overall situation of the soviet military in 1939 and onwards in his post.

So please no unnecessary arguing over problems that don't exist.