• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dainiuskinas

Sergeant
75 Badges
May 10, 2014
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
For me, while trying to roleplay, the most basic step is to remember the names of important characters like vassals, wife, children and not mix them up.

I happen to know two languages: Lithuanian and English, so I am familiar with the names of those cultures. It gets harder with other European cultures like French or German, though I still have some familiarity with the names if nothing else. What's really tough for me is non-European names, especially the Indian ones. I just can't roleplay properly as those characters because those names are very unfamiliar to me.

I know that everyone needs to have a proper name for their culture but does anyone have any suggestions for how I can keep track of people with unfamiliar names?

If you divide a complicated name into syllables, you might find out it's not as complicated as you initially thought. Most of the difficulty comes from vowels and consonants that are different or non-existant in English, but given how much trouble CK2 has with extra symbols, most names are greatly simplified.

By the way, you don't need to go too far away for difficult-to-pronounce names. I have a lot of trouble myself imagining how Irish names are supposed to sound like.

If you divide a complicated name into syllables, you might find out it's not as complicated as you initially thought. Most of the difficulty comes from vowels and consonants that are different or non-existant in English, but given how much trouble CK2 has with extra symbols, most names are greatly simplified.

By the way, you don't need to go too far away for difficult-to-pronounce names. I have a lot of trouble myself imagining how Irish names are supposed to sound like.

Good ol Eoghan got nabbed by a Bahn Sidhe the other night, what a sioam, seemed like a mharri ged thair

thanks for that, Gaelic

Part of it comes down to familiarization. I've got a game where I started as the Meshchera tribe in 867 near Moscow. They're one of the Volga Finns, so their names look little like what I'm used to, and dealing with Vechkas and his three sons Deryab, Velmayka, and Malyy took a bit. But honestly, just spending a little time getting to know the names, or even doing a little online research about what the names mean (doesn't help as much with the Meshchera) can help to let you understand them and use them.

If anything, the big problem is that the names tend to repeat quickly, so I can't be sure if this lowborn commander Tyushtyan is the same as a lowborn Tyushtyan I meet a decade later.

Sometimes, though, I'll still tweak a name as I prefer (Dergun becomes Dergan, or the like).

I remember the names approximately, worked so far.

Irish? Irish is nothing

Try welsh and that spilled-scrabble-board of a language.

Like, I love the welsh, they have some fantastic cheeses, but man 5 consonants should never be standing in a row