• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What, even Scandinavia's turned rightist?

Eams said:
What, even Scandinavia's turned rightist?

Nope, you're right to point this out, all of Scandinavian nations are Social Democracies, with the exception of Finland which is Conservative. But I always felt social dialog and demands in Scandinavian nations never saw the same excesses as central/Western Europe. The French Communist Party has always been closely associated and subordinated to the Soviet Union, for example - hardly a model in our timeline, and even worse in the "Crossfires" timeline. They're heavy in the "world revolution" department, and light in the "running the country responsibly" one.

In France, having Communist ministers was still a big issue for many in 1981, despite of the past and not unsuccessful experiences of 1936 and 1946. Nowadays, of course, it wouldn't make the headlines, because the French Communist Party (or what little is left of it) has ceased to either frighten or fascinate, and because they have radically changed their perspectives when compared to even 1979.

As for the 1936 Popular Front, it was made possible only because Communists were seen as anti-Fascists. In the "Crossfires" timeline, all the goodwill Communists have earned in 1936, fighting Spanish Fascism, has evaporated only one year after. The Communist Party has been made illegal just as it had reached enough stature to run local governments, so "Crossfires" Communists still lack popular support coming from honorable records in running cities, local governments or ministries, and the necessary dose of realism that would have come from such an experience. Therefore, I think they'll be longer to wake up to these responsibilities than historically, and that French society will also be longer in seeing them as just another batch of political activists.

And BTW, the 15,000 views threshold has been passed thanks to you readers, lurkers and forum members alike, earning you my gratitude, and also your chance to include characters you like ! You still have 24 hours or so to suggest one or more candidate, and i'll draw lots Saturday evening. No Skorzeny this time, he's already there, training to kill someone.

My main problem is amount of characters you put into this AAR. So I cannot chose.

But then again, by voting for a Russian character I can't go wrong.

I vote for thet NKVD fellow.

Georges Mandel :)

Don't think I've heard him mentioned, and he should fit right in with your cabinet :)

GeneralHannibal said:
Georges Mandel :)

Don't think I've heard him mentioned, and he should fit right in with your cabinet :)

Long time no see, General !

All right, unless I've forgotten someone, so far we have :

- Manuel Quezon
- Viatcheslav Molotov
- Colonel Bodenko
- Buenaventura Durruti
- Georges Mandel
- Albert Camus

Result of the draw at midnight, so there's still time to cast new ballots. Until then, I'm going to write a Luxemburger update for the comedy AAR.

Last edited:
Atlantic Friend said:
Long time no see, General !

All right, unless I've forgotten someone, so far we have :

- Manuel Quezon
- Viatcheslav Molotov
- Colonel Bodenko
- Buenaventura Durruti
- Georges Mandel
- Albert Camus

Result of the draw at midnight, so there's still time to cast new ballots. Until then, I'm going to write a Luxemburger update for the comedy AAR.

I've had a period of no-forum time, so now I shall catch back up and start up my commentary again :)

Alright, alright, time to discover tonight's winner. Tonight, Lady Luck chose to favor... Buenaventura Durruti, Spanish Anarchist who in our timeline suffered an untimely (and rather embarrassing) death during the Spanish Civil War.

Stay tuned to see good ol' Buenaventura making an apparition on the Crossfires show !

Anarchist? Oohhh! We don't see those types often in these AARs, despite that anarchists were a well known group in Europe in those days.

Atlantic Friend said:
Alright, alright, time to discover tonight's winner. Tonight, Lady Luck chose to favor... Buenaventura Durruti, Spanish Anarchist who in our timeline suffered an untimely (and rather embarrassing) death during the Spanish Civil War.

Stay tuned to see good ol' Buenaventura making an apparition on the Crossfires show !

W00t! Yay! Cheer!
Lady luck has smiled upon me!

I'm curious to see how you'll deal with this stubborn man in a rightist Spanish Republic...

Atlantic Friend said:
All right, ladies and gentlemen, next update should come online this week-end, probably friday night (GMT) or Saturday morning, depending on how hard I'll hit the Absynth bottle tomorrow.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Absinth blickst, blickt der Absinth auch in dich hinein.

-Nietzsche, after a night of hard drinking.

oddman said:
Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Absinth blickst, blickt der Absinth auch in dich hinein.

-Nietzsche, after a night of hard drinking.

My German is rather rusty, but it's something like "When you look into the Absynth for too long, the Absynth looks back into you ?" :D

Last edited:
Atlantic Friend said:
My German is rather rusty, but it's something like "When you look into the Absynth for too long, the Absynth looks back into you ?" :D

Its "abyss", german "Abgrund", not "absinth", as oddman surely knows ;)

Amona said:
Its "abyss", german "Abgrund", not "absinth", as oddman surely knows ;)

Gnädige Fraulein, it is an honor to have you paying me a visit ! I've read Cats' War's fall of France with mixed feelings of sadness and rage, and I sure hope the Maquis and Free French Demoiselles will remind the occupiers Marianne's tricoloured heart still beats loud and strong !

Atlantic Friend said:
Gnädige Fraulein, it is an honor to have you paying me a visit ! I've read Cats' War's fall of France with mixed feelings of sadness and rage, and I sure hope the Maquis and Free French Demoiselles will remind the occupiers Marianne's tricoloured heart still beats loud and strong !

The current chapter deals with exactly that, as will be revealed shortly.
But its your AAR here, and let me say, a fine story. I must confess, I am usually more concerned with writing than reading in the forums, let alone post and comment, but I DO read a few other AARs ;)

You better. Or you will be announced enemy of the people by a small anarchist community, and you're house will be torched.

And if you didn't know already, you know that you are author of a REALLY REALLY GOOD AND ADDICTIVE AAR, not when you start receiving awards, but when you start receiving threats to you and your possession, if you don't produce an update soon.