• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 07 - Provence

EU3_27.jpg
Our BadBoy rating is low. Time to deal with Provence, before England makes a move. We cancel the alliance and the vassalage. Having some sense of self-preservation, Provence quickly forms an alliance with Hainaut. Much to our dismay, Hainaut dishonors the alliance, denying us a core province for the time being.

EU3_28.jpg
Scotland also refuses to follow us in. No matter, as long as they allow our forces to be stationed within their borders.

EU3_29.jpg
After some chasing around, Provence's forces are destroyed.

EU3_30.jpg
The Holy Roman Emperor of Hesse marches on France, but is repelled, chased...

EU3_31.jpg
...and routed.

EU3_32.jpg
Their second army fares no better. Hesse is soon occupied.

EU3_33.jpg
As a precaution, we warn England as well. While Tyrone is the likeliest target, they could go for Scotland, Brittany or their Dutch neighbors.

EU3_34.jpg
Nevers is an annoyance, and to make them an easier target, excommunication seems a good idea.

EU3_35.jpg
Provence is secured.

EU3_36.jpg
As is the Emperor.

EU3_37.jpg
Annexation follows. A land connection to Dauphine and Lyonnais, at last.

EU3_39.jpg
Hesse is also properly humiliated.

EU3_40.jpg
Even so, our BadBoy level is still manageable.

EU3_38.jpg
Our new mission. Unexpected since we still have many vassals to absorb, but no matter. England is our next target anyway. :)

EU3_41.jpg
Galicia, fed up with French rule, revolts. Cavalry is dispatched to answer their pleas.

EU3_42.jpg
Much to our glee, England underestimates our desire to intervene. Now, to counter their naval supremacy...

kebzero: ...Annexation follows. A land connection to Dauphine and Lyonnais, at last.

splendid result ! ! :D

kebzero:
...Much to our glee, England underestimates our desire to intervene. Now, to counter their naval supremacy...

don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ? ? ;)

awesome AAR ! !
:cool:

Ohhhhh. I like this AAR
Even if it is with the French....

FEEDBACK

Second vassal down. :)
BB up. :eek:o
...yeah. With four vassals to go, I was starting to wonder whether this approach was the way to go. Diploannexing lost most of its appeal to me when it got the +1 decentralization move, but given our goal... Hrm... :)

LET TEH EPIC BATTUL BEGIN!! :rofl:
I dunno about epic, but... it certainly began. :)

kebzero: ...Annexation follows. A land connection to Dauphine and Lyonnais, at last.

splendid result ! ! :D

kebzero:
...Much to our glee, England underestimates our desire to intervene. Now, to counter their naval supremacy...

don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ? ? ;)

awesome AAR ! !
As long as the plan works in the end, yes...

Glad you like the AAR. :)

Ohhhhh. I like this AAR
I know it's not much of an achievement given the starting point (both country and difficulty setting), but I'd like to avoid fighting out of a deep hole before taking on the world. :)

the english shalt not be allowed to hold a portion of france ... in fact neither vlandren or antwerpen :D
Ideally, this would be so... Sadly, not even the EUIII world is ideal. ;)

Part 08 - English Sunset, Connaught Surprise

EU3_43.jpg
Naturally, we choose to 'defend' Tyrone. Portugal wusses out, unfortunately. Oh well, we'll deal with them later. :)

EU3_44.jpg
We invest in another general. With our low army tradition, a two shock general is fairly good.

EU3_45.jpg
England attacking without a Casus Belli leaves them with a solid 4 Revolt Risk from day one. We need it past 15. Their large infantry forces do not concern us, but their fleet of warships is another matter.

EU3_46.jpg
With England assaulting, time to counter. Their morale will be low by the time the French cavalry arrives.

EU3_47.jpg
The English cavalry took the brunt of the fight, but were greatly outnumbered. Our forces pursue.

EU3_48.jpg
...and that was the end of their leader-less stack in the south.

EU3_49.jpg
In the north, however, Edward IV was leading his forces in victory. Despite heavy losses, the English monarch chased one of our cavalry stacks out of Picardie.

EU3_50.jpg
Now that we've confirmed that the bulk of English forces have been sent to the continent, time to equip our harrasment cavalry regiments in Scotland with a leader. Their task is primarily to pillage and burn the enemy countryside, and overrun any new regiments England builds.

EU3_51.jpg
Edward IV temporarily abandons the siege of Picardie - presumably, he wishes to reinforce his regiments. That, or he doesn't wish to confront the twenty cavalry divisions in Caux and Cambray.

EU3_52.jpg
This outcome does not surprise us - nor bother us. That might be a couple of annexation BadBoy points less to worry about. :)

EU3_53.jpg
Edward IV returns to Picardie, assaults it immediately and takes the province... and is promptly attacked by French cavalry forces, ending in a retreat.

EU3_55.jpg
We chase the forces to Calais, but fear of colossal attrition makes us hold back from a prolonged pursuit. Picardie must be freed first, something cavalry does not excel at. Infantry is useful when you wish to assault the 50 man garrisons left behind, rather than tie up cavalry regiments in a year-long siege.

EU3_54.jpg
One cavalry detachment starts a siege of East Anglia. The bulk of the forces sacks London and then chases new recruits around the countryside.

EU3_56.jpg
Connaught was quick to deposit a single regiment in Andalucia. We dispatched a cavalry stack from northern Iberia through Portugal, but by the time they arrived, enemy forces had been bolstered... and the Irish monarch proved very fierce indeed. Four shock? Ouch.

Ohhhhh. I like this AAR
Mmm, cookies. 'Cause you do have one ready here, don't you?

Excellent AAR, I like it. :D
It's interesting to see what happens when France actually has an agenda, except mindlessly smashing every minor nearby.

kebzero: ...We invest in another general. With our low army tradition, a two shock general is fairly good.

war has a habit of improving your army tradition ! ! ;)

kebzero:

splendid ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Now that we've confirmed that the bulk of English forces have been sent to the continent, time to equip our harassment cavalry regiments in Scotland with a leader. Their task is primarily to pillage and burn the enemy countryside, and overrun any new regiments England builds.

what is the effect of pillage ? ?

kebzero:
...One cavalry detachment starts a siege of East Anglia. The bulk of the forces sacks London and then chases new recruits around the countryside.

excellent ! ! :D

kebzero:
...and the Irish monarch proved very fierce indeed. Four shock? Ouch.

isn't that about 'normal' for an AI monarch ? ?

excellent update ! !

Looks like you need a 10k (or so) stack of Infantry lying around for assaulting enemy provinces while your cavalry chases the Poms around the place. Good progress though, looks like England proper is yours, just need to annihilate those forces up in Northern France. Hang on, you have 16k Infantry. What are you doing with them? :p

What? It's not Northern France? It soon will be. :D

FEEDBACK
Mmm, cookies. 'Cause you do have one ready here, don't you?

Excellent AAR, I like it. :D
It's interesting to see what happens when France actually has an agenda, except mindlessly smashing every minor nearby.
Glad you like it so far - but I fear I might disappoint you a bit down the line, if through (almost) no fault of my own. ;)

kebzero: ...We invest in another general. With our low army tradition, a two shock general is fairly good.

war has a habit of improving your army tradition ! ! ;)

kebzero:

splendid ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Now that we've confirmed that the bulk of English forces have been sent to the continent, time to equip our harassment cavalry regiments in Scotland with a leader. Their task is primarily to pillage and burn the enemy countryside, and overrun any new regiments England builds.

what is the effect of pillage ? ?

kebzero:
...One cavalry detachment starts a siege of East Anglia. The bulk of the forces sacks London and then chases new recruits around the countryside.

excellent ! ! :D

kebzero:
...and the Irish monarch proved very fierce indeed. Four shock? Ouch.

isn't that about 'normal' for an AI monarch ? ?

excellent update ! !
War only improves army tradition if it lasts for a bit. ;)

I'm not sure of all the effects, but you usually get a couple of ducats for torching the province, and once it is in that state, the enemy won't earn as much taxes - and build times increase in that province. Running around with a small cavalry army with a high maneuver general behind enemy lines is a nifty way to hurt the enemy while remaining mobile. I'd imagine this is what an English player would to if attacking France - avoid the megastacks, and raid the continent until the effects started showing. :)

AI monarchs aren't so beefed up without Lucky or army tradition backing them up, in my experience - but that's sentiment, not statistics. I simply got a bit jealous of the Duke of Connaught's shock value. :)

wow,already in London!
Cavalry moves fast when there are no troops there to give them pause. :)

the scottish stack prove to be useful ^^
what is the goal? iraland? :D
It proves to be very useful.

Ireland is a bit tricky. I had no place to 'hide' forces there, and England has complete naval supremacy at this point.

Looks like you need a 10k (or so) stack of Infantry lying around for assaulting enemy provinces while your cavalry chases the Poms around the place. Good progress though, looks like England proper is yours, just need to annihilate those forces up in Northern France. Hang on, you have 16k Infantry. What are you doing with them? :p

What? It's not Northern France? It soon will be. :D
I only had 8k infantry here, the rest are my allies' forces.

IMO, this early, infantry assaults on full garrisons won't succeed, only incur morale and manpower losses. Better to cleanse away enemies, divide up one regiment a province and wait. It even earns some money for each province, occasionally. :)

Mmm, Northern France... I like the sound of that. ;)

Irish in Andalusia?
During the 15th century that's weird. :D
When has a game of EUIII ever ended up close to reality once you unpause? ;)

Part 09 - Dodging the English fleet

EU3_57.jpg
The war is progressing nicely. Their fleet remains a problem, but fortunately it is still several decades until blockading becomes possible.

EU3_58.jpg
With French forces torching much of the country, England offers a white peace, since they've already achieved their goal in annexing Tyrone. France absolutely refuses this ridiculous notion.

EU3_59.jpg
The first conflict with the Duke of Connaught left us victorious, but severely wounded. When the Duke braved to return to Andalucia with a mere thousand infantrymen, not even his shock score could save the day.

EU3_60.jpg
Good governments, indeed. Free coin is always appreciated. :)

EU3_61.jpg
Growing desperate, Edward IV sends an actual offer. Hardly sufficient for our ambitions, the offer is declined.

EU3_62.jpg
Even more good news. Since France has no shortage of manpower, any such choice is easy; always taxes. I'm almost baffled the event choice doesn't also include a slight increase in revolt risk for a short period of time. :)

EU3_63-65.jpg
And here, the explanation why the game engine gave us some goodies - it planned to slap us with a whopper. Rather than revolt, they turn to smuggling. Darn provincial hicks, ruining everything. Given the two choices, and since we do have a cash reserve, we opt to stop them rather than ignore them. As an expansive power, we'll probably make up the lost cash in taxes and trade over a ten-year period.

EU3_66.jpg
With much of England under French control courtesy of our ten cavalry regiments out of Scotland, they are pushed above the 'magic number' for War Exhaustion. Now, it is simply a matter of time - and luck. Antwerpen with its Center of Trade is the greatest possible gain, but will it be among the provinces with a lower Mean Time To Happen than normal?

EU3_68.jpg
Aragon, taking advantage of our distraction and the expiry of our Granadan Guarantee, rushes the Sunni outpost.

EU3_67.jpg
We deliberately avoid sieging Kent, since the English warships are anchored there. The minute our rowboats head out to sea anywhere north of Iberia, this fleet would lay in a pursuit. This prevents us from reaching Ireland, but we have a cunning plan...

EU3_69.jpg
After leapfrogging up to Cumbria one sea province at a time - each time chased by the English fleet - our transport fleet is in posision. The warships set sail again, but not to our transports, this time. Another fleet left port before the Cumbrian detachment...

EU3_70.jpg
...namely, a single ship out of Galicia. Baited by this, the English commander chooses to ignore the transport fleet ferrying troops to Ireland. Our bait ship retreats to the safety of port before the enemy can reach firing range.

EU3_71.jpg
Half the original harassment cavalry force is thus sent to quell Ireland, starting with rebels.

EU3_72.jpg
Saintonge defects - which is oddly enough a bad thing, given our ultimate goals. It's a core province of ours, and would have given zero BadBoy points on the negotiation table. Still, we want to weaken England as fast as possible and reduce our Prestige loss from uncontested claims, so we accept the penalty.

EU3_73.jpg
In reports from the south, we learn that Aragon has secured the province of Murcia. This is unfortunate, but at least the damage was not worse.

This is really great. Long live gameplay AAR's!

I really like your detail. It makes me want to try something similar, though I don't know the game mechanics nearly as well.

So who do you think you're nemesis will be in this game since it looks like Spain and England are headed down quickly? Turkey, Timurids, China?

Nah, I think if he's already taken down those two, there's no other nation that'll be able to comepete with him