• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LTD

Private
60 Badges
Feb 16, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
Please tell me there is some solution, work around, patch, fix for repairing corrupted saves?

Earlier today,(4.1 14) my game worked just fine. I took "save and quit" like always. Now I crash to desktop every time I try to load my Ironman save. Had so much fun with this game. Please don't tell me it's all ruined now?

I have not installed,uninstalled, activated or deactivated anything since I began the game.

Here is a link to my save.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B382U8QoTBnXWG5xRF9GaUkxNU0/edit?usp=sharing

Using CK2+ with:
* Better Armies
* Cultural Titles
* Titular Titles
* CK2+ Core 2.063

Have all official DLC up and running with significant exception of Sunset Invasion.

First Crusade along with activation of few Holy Orders kicked in last session. No clue if that is related somehow.

If anyone could offer any kind of help at all,I'd be very happy.

Unlike Wolfmaster,(see post below) I am unable to even click the to-be-loaded save, game crashes when it should display the current situation present in save.

This is the most recent bit in my error log:

[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//event_pictures//aztec_court.tga.
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_emissary_mesoamerican
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_throne_room_mesoamerican
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: OR, near line: 545
" in file: "interface/coats_of_arms.txt" near line: 595

I have every official DLC with exception of Sunset Invasion running. I haven't even bought the aztec DLC so seeing such mentions in my log are a bit odd.

Last edited:
Any chance you can upload a screenshot so we can see what is wrong? Is your Ironman a cloud save?

If so, there could be something majorly wrong with cloud saves that are Ironman, as my game was also "corupt" today. In my case, the game crashed for some strange reason and when I reload it this is how it looked: This just happened within tthe last hour... might have something to do with Steam and their cloud services...

013F5B30FC222386A5799F37C3A60FE860F02343

DDC36EB06792A6BA8B319A9732BE0C330F7751E2

If so, there could be something majorly wrong with cloud saves that are Ironman, as my game was also "corupt" today. In my case, the game crashed for some strange reason and when I reload it this is how it looked: This just happened within tthe last hour... might have something to do with Steam and their cloud services...

Steam have been under denial of service attacks over the last day. Maybe related?

It isn't a cloud safe afaik. According to Steam 0 bytes of cloud for CK is used. Problem is identical in offline mode and online mode of Steam both.

I too got my first(and last..) in-game crash like few hours before my game broke. After that, I was able to load my save normally one last time. Since then, every time I try clicking my save game in main menu, it crashes me to desktop. Just when I was having so much fun. Out of three video games I've genuinely enjoyed in last 5 years, three have ended up in bitter disappointment thanks to corrupted save games with no fix in sight. Cool.

This thread makes me very nervous... I'm 99 hours into my very first game, cloud saved. It actually crashed for the first time yesterday, but loaded up without problems.

I think I had somwhere between 40-70 hours in my Roman Empire game...

I uninstalled the games that I had on steam, uninstalled steam, cleaned the locations of the file and went to their website to redownload steam, only to be presented with a nice message, tell me that their website is down and I can't download the installer for Steam...

I really hope this is temperory and that it is resolved soon and that my save game will go back to the way it was before I had my crash.. I put so much time into this save game, that I would "cry" if it becomes unplayable/ corupt..

It was also strange earlier today, as in my game, all the republic families "died" and new ones came into power. I had 4-5 different replubic families that were wiped... This happened about 1 hour before the issues that you see in the screenshot above...

EDIT: So it appears that Steam was recently attacked (within the last 2 hours) and I am assuming that with this attack, any cloud save games might/could have been affected.

This is a short articles about,, but if you search in google, you can find more about it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...-attack-these-tweeters-claimed-responsiblity/

Last edited:
So I guess there is no known workaround or idas what to do here?:(

I think I too had around 100 hours in. I had made my way from petty norse Chieftain to King. Was about to reform the religion. My oldest son was about to inherit around 1/3 of modern day England. Had two or three wars where my entire survival depended on some ugly, small battle between less than a thousand men.

I had so much fun!

I swear, every single time I get genuine joy out of a video game, it gets corrupted. Silent Hunter 3-> Corrupted save, game ruined. GTA V ->Corrupted save, game ruined. Now CK gets added to the list.

At time of writing this, I have no clue what caused it or how to prevent it from happening ever again. -> I have no intention to start a new game again.

Last edited:
I would wait until tommorrow morning when Paradox will presumably get back into office and see if you get any responses then. It is fairly unfortunate, but may be recoverable.

Thanks for the encouraging word Wookie1, I really hope there is something that can be done here.

Here is a link to my save.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c4101malsda6jm/Ironman_Hordaland.ck2

I am using CK2+ with
* Better Armies
* Cultural Titles
* Titular Titles
* CK2+ Core 2.063

I have every official DLC with exception of Sunset Invasion running.

If anyone could help in any way at all, I'd be very happy.

Last edited:
Fixed download link for my save.

Based on what I have heard since making the thread, I don't really expect to find a solution for this anymore. Just updating the thread to save troubles of others who have had their saves ruined by the game.

Reply to my problem by a CK2+ Developer named zeress:
" Your actual save is corrupted (as in the contents got messed up by no fault of the mod)" It's literally the exact same problem I had with vanilla EU4 and Ironman, sorry to be the bearer of ill news"

In (rapidly fading...) hopes it might help, here is more information from zeress, who was kind enough to take a closer look.

To give you an idea of how corrupted it is, this is the first few lines of your save:

Code:
CK2bin   2.0.3.0›'  	 1010.8.15-)     ž!*;Ú   -    /    save games/Ironman_Hordaland.ck2ž(  $  à(  ÆW{F/  û*   k_norwayQ(     ò'  ;’ È(  €* (   867.1.1Â(    867_start_umayyad   867.1.1
  867_start_fatimid   867.1.1
  pat_antioch   867.1.1
  startup   867.1.1
  better_armies_mode  	 867.1.14
  varangian_guard_founded  
  thelma_louise_broke_up  	 943.8.20
  greenland_discovered   925.7.7
  shepherds_crusade  	 952.5.27
  west_francia_renamed   981.3.2
  greenland_settled   986.2.8
  ulfhednar_founded  	 992.11.5
  hre_renamed  	 992.2.12
  vinland_discovered  
  christian_crusades_unlocked  	 1009.6.6
  maintenance_pulse   1009.12.24
  crusade_for_jerusalem  	 1010.7.4
 D'   1

This is the first few lines of a working save:

Code:
CK2txt
	version="2.0.3.0"
	date="1134.3.16"
	player=
	{
		id=1000250567
		type=45
	}
	player_shield=
	{
		data=
		{
0 1 0 1 3 0 1 		}
		religion="shiite"
	}
	player_realm="k_adal"
	rebel=1
	unit=30953
	sub_unit=32308
	start_date="1086.1.1"
	flags=
	{
		neustria_renamed=867.1.1
		umayyad_has_fallen=867.1.1
		fatimid_has_fallen=867.1.1
		jomsvikings_founded=867.1.1
		varangian_guard_founded=867.1.1

There's nothing you can do sadly. Take solace in the fact that I just checked an ironman save of mine from my stream the other day, and that one is corrupted too, so it's not just you (luckily not the one that I have ongoing though). Something is just volatile in general with Ironman saves and in the future I'd avoid them (and I'll make sure to avoid them myself as well)

I like the challenge and sense of achievement with... achievements... but, if you're risking dozens of hours of time spent in a game just to add a feather in your cap, what's the point? It's a bummer...

Maybe a better solution for future PDS games would be to allow achievements while playing normally, but make the achievements much harder to obtain?

I think from now on I'm going to avoid Iron Man but play using the same rules.

^ Due to CK2+ being installed, achievements weren't even available for me.

It isn't about the feathered caps but the stakes and lack of safety nets. It is a massive thrill to ponder risk vs reward of an assassination, or decide wether or not to send your armies to war while knowing well there is no 20 minute old autosave available as a safety net in case it turns out you made some bad decisions. I don't care to fight temptation of "trial&error" gameplay but much rather remove change for trial entirely. It makes everything very exciting and fun.It changed the experience completely for me. Pondering risk vs reward of an assassination or deciding wether or not to send armies to war is extremely different experience if you do so knowing it could be makings of a game over screen you are looking. Or makings of an Empire. Without Ironman, everything tastes less tasty, since each mistake can, at worst, mean rageAlt-F4 and picking up from a 20 min old autosave few real life days later.

Of course, had I known game is very likely to destroy saves because two years of patching and DLCs and continuing development doesn't mean game couldn't occasionally get destroyed, I prolly would not have bothered in first place.

To lose everything like this was exceptionally agonizing.

Last edited:
You can just turn autosaves off completely. It's like faster ironman without 'cheevos.
Also, have you tried verifying your install through steam?

I've now logged a new bug on this issue of Ironman saves becoming corrupt. Please post any new information as it comes to hand, in particular:

- what triggers the corruption? Is it any particular event, action, date, size of empire or kingdom, anything at all?
- is it ONLY Ironman games this happens to?
- does it make any difference if the game is saving to the Cloud or locally?

I've now logged a new bug on this issue of Ironman saves becoming corrupt. Please post any new information as it comes to hand, in particular:

- what triggers the corruption? Is it any particular event, action, date, size of empire or kingdom, anything at all?
- is it ONLY Ironman games this happens to?
- does it make any difference if the game is saving to the Cloud or locally?

I have all DLC with exception of Sunset Invasion
Old Gods start, playing as a Norse Viking. (who was a son away from getting England in a very fun and rewarding game:( )

Shortly before my game got ruined, I recall two little unusual events having taken place:

* I got a CTD. First I ever had. Happened during a siege. Played with speed 2 or 3. After this CTD, I was immediately able to reboot game and load my Ironman save just fine. However, that was the last time I could do so. Come next session, save was ruined.
* During my final session, 1st crusade and it's bundle of holy orders kicked in.
* I remember being currently at peace when I quit.
* I remember CTD having taken place before crusade began.

* I have no clue¨how exactly Cloud operates. I had it turned on in Steam but according to Steam,Cloud uses 0 bytes of space for my CK2.

Fixed download link for my save.
In (rapidly fading...) hopes it might help, here is more information from zeress, who was kind enough to take a closer look.

Code:
CK2bin   2.0.3.0›'  	 1010.8.15-)     ž!*;Ú   -    /    save games/Ironman_Hordaland.ck2ž(  $  à(  ÆW{F/  û*   k_norwayQ(     ò'  ;’ È(  €* (   867.1.1Â(    867_start_umayyad   867.1.1
  867_start_fatimid   867.1.1
  pat_antioch   867.1.1
  startup   867.1.1
  better_armies_mode  	 867.1.14
  varangian_guard_founded  
  thelma_louise_broke_up  	 943.8.20
  greenland_discovered   925.7.7
  shepherds_crusade  	 952.5.27
  west_francia_renamed   981.3.2
  greenland_settled   986.2.8
  ulfhednar_founded  	 992.11.5
  hre_renamed  	 992.2.12
  vinland_discovered  
  christian_crusades_unlocked  	 1009.6.6
  maintenance_pulse   1009.12.24
  crusade_for_jerusalem  	 1010.7.4
 D'   1

Just to save you from looking at the wrong problem, this is what all saves look like if you have ironman mode activated; they save as a binary file instead of plain text. I believe that's why the file has the "CK2bin" header rather than "CK2text" in the other sample you quoted. Clearly there's something wrong somewhere but it isn't the entire file format.

Thanks, that could be useful to know!
...to someone who actually understands the finer workings present here. It'd be awesome if some Paradox support person could take a brief look at my issue.

As I said above, it's been reported as a bug. We don't do support out here in the general chat forum, as you know I'm sure.

I just want to add that the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was Ironman and cloud saving to steam.

My game that I spent three days on (played as soon as I would get off work until like 2 in morning) froze for like ten minutes. So i Ctrl Alt Del and closed it, and next time I loaded it up I could not even open the save. It said something like "broke save" under the save.

Really really sucks, it made me just turn the computer off and not play anymore. LOL :mad: