• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It already has been. I've made a fix for it probably a year ago from now. http://www.mediafire.com/?dc1oby9drxcw4d9. It doesn't merit being a mod either, so I haven't included a .mod file. Just overwrite the game files or make a .mod to use it. Unfortunately I officially deleted it awhile back and the script in that file is just something I pulled out of what I'm working on now, so either you deal with the changes I've made to it (some of which are quite significant) or you implement the fix yourself. If you want to implement them yourself then here is the script for it:

But does that just give cores back in the territory that was just conquered? I know you added the province control check-- but I've always found that to not work very well outside of wartime. Granted, the war has just ended... but have you tested it in a situation where the target owns other cores?

But does that just give cores back in the territory that was just conquered? I know you added the province control check-- but I've always found that to not work very well outside of wartime. Granted, the war has just ended... but have you tested it in a situation where the target owns other cores?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you mean that it might apply for all nations, the events seem tried and true under many of my experiments and I've had battles where multiple nations were fighting for cores on the same country and the return province events only apply to the countries individually. The effect of the events seems to work fine for me. E.g. if I conquer a state that has two provinces that I have cores on and my opponent has cores on all the provinces in the state, if I choose the "Give back excess territory" option, I will only keep those two provinces I have cores on and it will return the rest to the opponent.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you mean that it might apply for all nations, the events seem tried and true under many of my experiments and I've had battles where multiple nations were fighting for cores on the same country and the return province events only apply to the countries individually.

And is it just on the state(s) that's changed hands?

And it only applies to territory gained that is also the core of the target, yes? So if you, say, use Acquire Core State on a state where the target doesn't have any cores (presumably because they conquered it), you won't give any excess territory back.

And is it just on the state(s) that's changed hands?

Yes, exactly. Since the event checks for a change of controller, it will not matter because the complimentary event only returns provinces that were taken. So say you have other territories that you have cores on that AREN'T in the wargoal list and you control them, and then the war ends, the event will still fire and check for provinces that changed control, but it won't matter because of the reason stated before.

And it only applies to territory gained that is also the core of the target, yes? So if you, say, use Acquire Core State on a state where the target doesn't have any cores (presumably because they conquered it), you won't give any excess territory back.

Yes, it will only work on provinces that you have cores on. So if somehow you had a war of acquire_core_state on a state that you had no cores on and won, and then gained ownership of that state and ran the option to give any excess territory back, then you would essentially lose all your spoils. So really the only downside to this that I can think of, but haven't yet encountered, is running a war with both acquire_core_state and acquire_state. The return territory option would actually nullify the acquire_state wargoal since any territory you didn't have cores on would be granted back. I don't think there's an alternative however.

Last edited:
So really the only downside to this that I can think of, but haven't yet encountered, is running a war with both acquire_core_state and acquire_state. The return territory option would actually nullify the acquire_state wargoal since any territory you didn't have cores on would be granted back. I don't think there's an alternative however.

Hmm. That would also apply if separate countries had acquired states in the same war-- with one using Acquire Core and one using Acquire State. That happens a bit more often.

Still, you could eliminate that case with the use of a flag on the acquiring country. So that would leave you with the "same country used both CB's" issue.

Too bad you couldn't also set a flag on the county getting the cores in the case of Free Peoples (I've tried). But that's interested to know, even so.

Hmm. That would also apply if separate countries had acquired states in the same war-- with one using Acquire Core and one using Acquire State. That happens a bit more often.

Yes, I suppose you're right. It would be really nice if PI would give us more references to work with. I would really love to do something like is_core = owner rather than having to work with just FROM and THIS. That way I could ensure that it would only apply for nations that conquered provinces that they had cores on instead of just checking if the opponent has cores on it.

e.g.
Code:
		any_neighbor_country = {
			any_owned = {
				limit = {
					is_core = THIS
					**is_core = owner

NOT = { province_control_days = 7 }
				}

owner = { country_event = 2580 }
			}
		}

Basically I'd just love to see more power given to the Clauswitz engine script interpreter so that we could do more dynamically. Personally I hate having to use flags because I find difficult to keep track of.

Last edited:
The worst case is when Paraguay tries to get that small province in the Brazilian Mato Grosso state back after they inevitably lose it at the beginning of the game... the only disputed territory is a small strip of land but a state comparable in size to the whole of England changes hands.

Maybe Brazil should know not to mess with the Double-Guay

Yes, I suppose you're right. It would be really nice if PI would give us more references to work with. I would really love to do something like is_core = owner rather than having to work with just FROM and THIS. That way I could ensure that it would only apply for nations that conquered provinces that they had cores on instead of just checking if the opponent has cores on it.

Well, I'm sorry to say that I found a bug in your script... perhaps a serious one.

If the country that is taking the cores occupies them during the war, there's a good chance that they won't be returned once peace is made. Why? Because the province_control_days ticks at the point where they start occupying the province... not when it's transferred to them. I had a test game where a country used Acquire Core and fought with an ally, and they ended up occupying a good part of the country during the war... and, when peace was made, they ended up keeping an ugly patchwork of provinces in the state because they'd occupied them for several months.

The only way the script would work correctly is if a) the country getting the cores wasn't involved in the war, or b) it never occupied them during the war.

The # of days occupation could be expanded, but the more it gets pushed out the greater the chance that some other state other than the one which exchanged hands could be affected... and there's no other way I can think of to identify which state that is. Can you?

Well, I'm sorry to say that I found a bug in your script... perhaps a serious one.

If the country that is taking the cores occupies them during the war, there's a good chance that they won't be returned once peace is made. Why? Because the province_control_days ticks at the point where they start occupying the province... not when it's transferred to them. I had a test game where a country used Acquire Core and fought with an ally, and they ended up occupying a good part of the country during the war... and, when peace was made, they ended up keeping an ugly patchwork of provinces in the state because they'd occupied them for several months.

The only way the script would work correctly is if a) the country getting the cores wasn't involved in the war, or b) it never occupied them during the war.

The # of days occupation could be expanded, but the more it gets pushed out the greater the chance that some other state other than the one which exchanged hands could be affected... and there's no other way I can think of to identify which state that is. Can you?

I think every solution that we can make towards the problem can only be a make-shift solution and that it will probably only be able to be fixed in Victoria 3, whenever that gets released (probably late 2014 to mid 2015), because I think a true solution will need a newer version of the game engine to allow more flexibility. I'm glad that PI have announced publicly that they will be making more of an effort to support the modding community, so that makes me confident that V3 will definitely have lots more goodies to use in it.

I think every solution that we can make towards the problem can only be a make-shift solution and that it will probably only be able to be fixed in Victoria 3, whenever that gets released (probably late 2014 to mid 2015), because I think a true solution will need a newer version of the game engine to allow more flexibility. I'm glad that PI have announced publicly that they will be making more of an effort to support the modding community, so that makes me confident that V3 will definitely have lots more goodies to use in it.

That's true.

Just so you know, though... I think I did find a way to identify those provinces other than simply with province_control_days. Like this:

Code:
				OR = {
					NOT = { province_control_days = 1 }
					AND = {
						has_pop_type = labourers
						unemployment_by_type = { value = 1 type = labourers }
					}
					AND = {
						has_pop_type = farmers
						unemployment_by_type = { value = 1 type = farmers }
					}
				}

Provinces that are controlled by an occupying power lay off all their RGO workers-- so farmers/labourers (whichever the province has) would have 100% unemployment on the day of transfer. Considering that the chances of any other core province having 100% unemployment like that is pretty slim, I think that may be a good way to identify the transferred provinces. I mean, even if the province recently changed RGO's, chances are they've re-hired at least some of the labourers/farmers, particularly with the new hiring mechanic.

I just end up cheating a bit, and give the nation i won a state from back the bits i don't want. :happy:

But apparently there's some POP distribution issues (as mentioned posts before yours), so that could cause additional issues. Plus, don't forget the issue of factories.