• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

piratefish

Captain
9 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Iron Cross
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
I could use some advice regarding effective use of submarines for convoy raiding.

Playing as Germany using Improved 1936. Been building submarines with spotters (6 at a time) and am attempting to cripple the UK economically by targeting her merchant fleet. However, I am meeting with (very) limited success. So far, I have managed to sink a single convoy ship, but it has cost me 3 submarines with spotter attachments. It's currently October 1939 and so far I only have 2 wolf packs of 6 brigaded submarines each out hunting in two separate sea zones in the Atlantic. They have been on assignment since war broke out on 30 August, 1939 with the (very) limited results I just described. I am currently in the process of building 60 subs (6 at a time, each with spotter attachments). At this rate, I will accomplish nothing but catastrophic losses to my submarine fleet and mostly wasted IC. I could really use some help on using effective submarine strategy focused on destroying the allied merchant fleet.

Does anyone have any pointers for strategy, such as the best way to deploy submarines, use spotter planes or not, fleet and pack sizes, mission lengths, best hunting zones, tactics, etc.? I've heard a lot of great things about the results submarines can produce against merchant shipping, but have yet been able to recreate any of that storied success myself. Any advice is appreciated!