• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sotrax

Major
23 Badges
Apr 3, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
Well, that's my suggestion. I know, Cities in Motion userbase is a niche compared to the very successfully Cities:Skylines, but I still wish to see a continuation.
With open Mod-Support and a few changes in Game Design (That every line has to end in a depot for e.g.) I think this game could evolve into an alltime classic, people are still playing Cities in Motion 1 despite it's age and flaws.

I hope to see a Cities in Motion 3 one day.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Cities:Skylines and Cities in Motion 2 are economic strategies of the same level. But, there is a significant difference between them. Cities: Skylines is a game about the development of the city and it pays more attention to design moments. Cities in Motion 2 is more designed for economic analysis and, specifically, for the development of the transport network. For example, in Cities:Skylines, the financial balance is mediated by the costs of city development, and in Cities in Motion 2, it is associated with the work of a transport company.

• 1Like
Reactions:
+1
Still waiting and hoping... And still playing it more than CS...

But Sotrax: why should every line has to end at a depot? In RL vehicles go also on their route, travel several times between A and B and then at the end of the schedule return to the depot. The only point with such lines in CIM2 is that sometimes the game makes wrong calculates to determine which vehicle should do the next departure, so sometimes a new vehicle is provided by the depot and lined up after its follower. Same sometimes vice versa when going back to depot. Just an issue by implementation, not by design. Remember the first version of CIM2? It worked fine. After one of the first patches it got messed up. If this would work like it was intended it would be cool. And there is so much room for improvement with just tiny little features which would enhence the system massivly. For example beeing able to determine waiting times for other stops (like the other line end or at bigger stations), or beeing able to shorten the route by a timetable class, so e.g. additional vehicles for rush hour would turn earlier. And of course a better timetable awareness for the CIMs, so they would always take the next vehicle coming towards his destination and not wait forever for "his" line (so bundling of lines would be a tool, also seperate night lines etc).

I wonder where the problem is with CIM3. Everything is there: the engine, thousands of objects... With CS as the base it should be cheap to make CIM3 as a spinoff from CS.

It shouldn't always end in the depot. That's the point. But to actually work in CiM2 it had to. The system how Cities Skylines handles it is way better, maybe add selection to determine which depot spawns the vehicles for which line and it's easy as that.
Actually I don't want it to be a CiM2.1, it should be something different, independet, something which draws attention. Don't use the plops from the first games, make it something special. Easy to come into but with a lot of (not necessary) micro management.
Actually I have a whole concept, working in public transport in real life I think about it a lot and over the years I thought up so many things that were not very complicated to implement but userfriendly and mighty at the same time. But I don't feel like actually writing everything down, because nobody would be interested anyway. Collossal Order (or Paradox, who knows) doesn't seem to have any interest in that game at the moment, so why should I bother.

Okay, then I think I misunderstood the depot thing;-) I think there is a small bug in the depot management of vehicles which came up with the rule sets. To a certain point in time vehicles were sent and removed from lines just like it was supposed to work. Now the problem is that they often are not send back when not need anymore (e.g. frequency changes from 20 to 10 minutes interval) and when you extend the frequency something goes wrong in the calculation which vehicles is the next, so a scheduled trip is cancellend and then two vehicles go on line. Just a bug, but major concequences. In CS vehicles go to the nearest stop from the depot and start the service in both directions. This is fine when having no schedule. With schedules this would have to work different. As you say it would be nessesary to determine the first stop. With this the schedule system would have to be more complex and flexible. I don't think this would be bad for people who hate micro management as long as there is a good system for "standard schedules", which also work just by one click. I have lost hope that one day some modder intruduces schedules to CS, and possibilities to determine where a vehicle has a pause. This is something which only can be made in a game like CIM. But at some points they leardned from CIM: passengeres are aware in CS if a line is on duty or not, and even special additional lines are possible, as long as they are not longer than the main line. But there are many things despite missing the schedules that I hate in CS. Mainly that everything is much too fast, even with mods. Following a vehicle is no fun at all. I also don't like the fact how stops are set up, I really prefer to first choose the kind of stop I need, place it, and then create the line. My eyes start crying when I see in CS how a small bus stops in the middle of a stop and lets no other vehicle to do the same. Or how articulated busses block the road while stopping... But I like how CS determines the catchment area of a stop, as it is not just a static circle.

So I still prefer CIM2 and try to deal with the bugs. With a lot of trial and error very complex systems are possible until you reach the games max values e.g. for stops or the 32 bit barrier. Also the more serious style of the graphics is something I like and prefer to the comic-like style of CS.

Keep your concept in mind, maybe one day there will be someone who is interessted in when making such a game. Right now I also do not see anyone. I only see that in such games they only care about graphics, sandbox and just a simple functionality which only provides the basics.