• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I need an update on this topic. I have a fleet of 10 police cutters with 1 command ship and a "Vigilant" Admiral. They intercept the pirates every turn, but the pirates ALWAYS catch a freighter and my cutters only kill one or two pirates.

I have over a dozen drone satellites and torpedo satellites. I have stationed them in batches around the area where the pirates continuously show up. I can't remember how to make missile satellites, though, and I suspect they'd be more useful.

I have a Forward Base in the system, fully-upgraded, and the pirates show up almost EVERY turn.

What's next? Obviously, they've changed something. I have more police cutters than freighters, but it makes no difference.

For the missile satellites, actually it is called heavy missile platofrm, you need the polaris missile(tech name "heavy ship missile") + heavy planet missile (tech in warhead branch and unlock the "heavy ship missile" research).

I don't remember if there were more tech requirements. I am sure you can upgrade the polaris missile a bit but otherwise not lot else. (Antimatter warhead + missile speed and few other variantion that you can use other than regular IOBM)

Is there have a way to tell or predict location of enemy fleet before battle?
As I play as Loa, reserve fleet is cheaper and more effective than have a Navy station with defense satellites. But without knowing they location I have to place my fleet randomly and as a result always late to protect my freighters. So, is there anything like a scanner or sensor or something else to do that?

If not, imo, it's really stupid. You have a technology to travel FTL, even a FTL communication and you can even detect any FTL fleet that are coming to your system but you can't tell where the pirate going to attack? Or don't freighters install communication device? To sending out a help message to my fleet or planets?

Last edited:
Is there have a way to tell or predict location of enemy fleet before battle?
As I play as Loa, reserve fleet is cheaper and more effective than have a Navy station with defense satellites. But without knowing they location I have to place my fleet randomly and as a result always late to protect my freighters. So, is there anything like a scanner or sensor or something else to do that?

If not, imo, it's really stupid. You have a technology to travel FTL, even a FTL communication and you can even detect any FTL fleet that are coming to your system but you can't tell where the pirate going to attack? Or don't freighters install communication device? To sending out a help message to my fleet or planets?

I argee that the system for dealing with pirate raids is pretty stupid at the moment. I also find myself frustrated whenever they attack, spawning pretty close to my randomly placed freigther.. it's like the battle manager is a giant roulette table "place your ships, place your ships!"... oh no the frieghter is way on the other side there oh well, "wait 5 minutes for the battle to end".

I have read suggestions about making them not attack you in the first place (build 4 police cutters and they should stop hitting freigthers in that system altogether) but nothing for actually dealing with them effectively if and when they appear.

p.s. Placing the police cutters in a fleet with a command ship doesn't actually prevent them from appearing (in my experience).. what I do is I drag 4 of them from the "reserve fleet" into the "defense" tab... placing them there should stop them from attacking..

Last edited:
I start to think that trade isn't worth the effort. I didn't use police cutters as they are micromanagment hell, you have to lower % of sysstem production going to trade to build them, then you have to wait, then you have to remember to raise % of system production so trade can work again, then you have to remember to move those cutters to defense tab... and then pirates still attack.
According to wiki base % chance of spawning pirates is 2%. naval base is supposed to reduce that chance by 2%, yet I have pirates spawning in systems with naval bases, they even show up in fleet list!

A Fleet of Police cutters with command ship is worth nothing. You need to move atleast 5 cutters into the defence fleet. Do it wherever you want, Battlemanager or via Fleet management on starmap...

Pirates are probably one of the easiest things to counter... as Castus said, all those cutters in a normal fleet do jack all for stopping the pirates from occurring. place 5-6(5 minimum) cutters in your defense tab with a basic level 1 naval station in the system and you'll likely never see a pirate there again, unless a pirate base(new with EoF) happens to be somewhere close by, but even then it won't be every turn, and you can take out the base to stop that. Have systems in a province also reduces piracy chance as well(and increases profits between provincial trade!). There are some players who actively encourage piracy so they can "farm" the pirates(it's like 50k or so per pirate ship killed), or continually attack the pirate base if they find one, but just kill the ships each time and leave the base.

As for percentages, a Naval station does not reduce piracy rate by 2%.. if you don't have a naval station piracy rate is actually increased by 2%, so having a naval doesn't affect the base chance, just removes the additional percentages. Also pretty sure those percentages work like the random events % chance. Basically that percentage keeps going up each turn, so that 2% goes to 4, then 6, then 8 and so forth until a pirate encounter happens, then it resets to it's base value and starts counting up again. trading with systems not in a province I imagine also increases the % chance as well, however the 5 cutters+ naval per system will get rid of most of that.

Building cutters is no more or less micro then building those civ stations you need to have to be able to even trade. Simple suggestion, you get access to cutters as soon as you get access to civ stations. while your system is getting ready to build and upgrade the modules for it's civ station, it's not currently trading(there won't exactly be any freighters yet either), so why not just build your cutters at that time, you know you're going to need them(even 3 active cutters with no naval is better then nothing). First system you go into build mode for, just que up 5 cutters then save them as a favorite invoice, then just use that favorite invoice for all your other planned trade systems to save some clicks if it bothers you that much. Cutters are quick to build compared to a normal cruiser, so it doesn't take long even for a really poor IO system to build them relatively quickly.

There's also the convoy system tech you can research(right above commerce raiding in C3) which gives a big reduction to piracy chances(60% off) for whatever system it's turned on for, at the cost of a 5% loss in trade for that system, and even if there is an attack, all the freighters will spawn together, near your planet and with any cutters as well, so much easier to defend. That tech is also the solution for Loa trade(especially if combined with q-ships).

Also, the randomness and isolation of your freighters by the pirates when they do occur is supposed to be frustrating and a good chance you'll lose a freighter.. otherwise, why exactly would the pirate risk his neck? They've been hiding(there essentially all stealth armor equipped ships with low signature weapons), lying in wait, in or near your system, for just that opportunity to hit your vulnerable freighters and make off with the loot.

First of all, police cutters don't stop piracy, second they cost upkeep as any other cruiser and I refuse to waste my money on something that doesn't do anything.
Next thing - I can't build cutters before my station starts trading because I don't waste my time on building one or two freighters, I build enough of them to carry all the goods system might produce, thus I will have working civilian station well before I complete building all freighters. After that I set sliders to full trade, jumping between systems to switch sliders, build cutters, then switch sliders again, move cutters to defense tab... THAT'S the micromanagement I don't like.
As for building stations? Hivers... 6 construction fleets and single tab where I simply order upgrades of my stations every couple turns.
My currents strategy is simple, I build civilian and naval station, skip cutters as they are unnecessary waste of my funds and when pirates attack I simply move one or 2 freighters from my production system that have dozen or two of them in reserve (due to lack of naval looses my production system is mostly idle, so why not make some freighters reserve). This way I would have to loose freighter every turn to justify building cutters, as I loose freighter every 5 or so turns building cutters are not cost effective.