• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FieryHero

Corporal
Mar 19, 2024
Hello there

I opened this account because ever since the last few updates, my game keeps crashing in late game.

All drivers are up to date and I uninstalled, reinstalled and verified file integrity several times, tinkered with the settings, nothing helped and it’s only Victoria 3 and almost only late game that crashes on my PC.

Any thoughts? Is any of you experiencing this issue too?

As especially the late game can be quite demanding on the hardware, especially CPU, my guess would be some heat related problem.
But that's just a shot in the dark.

Moved the thread to tech support.

As especially the late game can be quite demanding on the hardware, especially CPU, my guess would be some heat related problem.
But that's just a shot in the dark.

Moved the thread to tech support.
My PC is perfectly stable on Intel XTU, Prime95 and Cinebench stress tests and benchmarks.

It’s just Victoria that has this problem and the computer doesn’t hard freeze or crash, it’s just Victoria that suddenly closes its window and takes me to paradox’s crash report submission page on desktop.

Right click on victoria3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria3/pdx_settings.json .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.txt

Right click on victoria3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria3/pdx_settings.json .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.txt
Thank you very much for your response Andrew.

As requested, the the requested files are attached to this post.

I appreciate your efforts and am waiting for your response.

Wish you a great Day/Night/Evening and etc.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.json
    1,1 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    96,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    6,9 KB · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    916 bytes · Views: 0
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 2002 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K (32 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
You very likely have the CPU/bios/AVX2 issue discussed here:

Hopefully those steps will help you as they have others. Good luck!

You very likely have the CPU/bios/AVX2 issue discussed here:

Hopefully those steps will help you as they have others. Good luck!
Yeah I saw this here on the forum.

Thing is, I didn’t have this issue before the updates. It ran fine!

Nevertheless I will try to follow the steps mentioned on that post to see if I can get Victoria 3 to work for now. But still, I’d expect an update regarding this issue from the devs.

Thank you for the help!

So an Update:

The issue seems to be () mostly fixed by simply putting the SVID behaviour on “Worst Case Scenario” allowing the CPU receive a more liberal supply of Voltage.

Even though I haven’t observed the Core Voltage going above the 1.507 mark momentarily, the downside is my system is running like at least 4 degrees hotter now.

So in the end, I think this is something the Devs need to address ASAP.

Update 2:

Nope. The problem wasn’t fixed at all. The SVID behaviour modification only seemed to increase the Crash intervals.

Just did a massive stability test (with AVX2) on my system just to make sure. Everything runs fine and smooth but Victoria 3. Also happened to notice my brother playing from 1836 to 1893 on the same system with no issues so whatever this specific problem is, my playing style or something that I usually do in my games seems to trigger the Crashes.

That's unexpected, as you have the exact bios and CPU that this issue has been identified on. Frankly it is hard to see how that cannot have been a problem for you!

Maybe you had more that one crash cause, and what you did fixed one but not the other?

That's unexpected, as you have the exact bios and CPU that this issue has been identified on. Frankly it is hard to see how that cannot have been a problem for you!

Maybe you had more that one crash cause, and what you did fixed one but not the other?
I’m not sure but I think they tweaked something post 1.6 and that’s aggravating whatever this issue is because as I said again. I did NOT have this issue before 1.6.

As for the crash cause, I’m almost sure it’s the same thing, and I can see that perhaps because even though I upped the Core Voltage supply, I didn’t pull back the CPU clock speed as I think that post you mentioned here had suggested.

And as I said, I saw my brother playing Qing and Germany in separate play through sessions for like 2 hours each with no problem. For some reason The way I’m playing maybe triggering the issue whatever it is.

Okay then, I do think you had two separate issues, and now have just the one. If you manage to identify what is triggering it for you let us know!

Okay then, I do think you had two separate issues, and now have just the one. If you manage to identify what is triggering it for you let us know!
The recent differences between my play throughs and that of my Brother’s as far as I know include:

- I generally play as Persia, he plays Qing & Germany mostly.

- He doesn’t play Iron Man, I do.

I’ve started a non-Iron Man game yesterday to see if that’s the issue for some reason.

Does your brother use a lower game speed setting than you do?