confused about badboy_penalty in geography.txt and badboy points for attacking pagan countries

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fixmypcmike

Sergeant
6 Badges
Nov 14, 2010
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
#badboy_penalty = yes/no If yes, badboy penalty for actions against countries of the continent (default is yes if not specified).

It's set to no for Europe and yes for the other continents. I must be misunderstanding what it does, as I would expect it to be the reverse.

Related question: what parameter determines whether you get badboy penalties for attacking or annexing pagan countries?

Related question: what parameter determines whether you get badboy penalties for attacking or annexing pagan countries?
#annex_same_penalty = yes/no If yes, badboy penalty for annexing countries in the same group (default is no if not specified).
#annex_other_penalty = yes/no If yes, badboy penalty for annexing countries in other groups (default is no if not specified).

religions.txt

It's set to no for Europe and yes for the other continents. I must be misunderstanding what it does, as I would expect it to be the reverse.
The documentation looks exactly backwards to me. It should be "for actions BY countries of the continent", although it is sometimes taken in conjunction with whether or not the target country has a religion that is marked "annexable = yes". We made that file during a time period when we were ripping out a LOT of hardcoded penalties and bonuses for particular countries, religions, or continents, and it looks like we made a mistake there.

That makes sense.

I seem to recall that at some point there was no +1 badboy for attacking the Aztecs or for taking their provinces. I'm not sure if it was just the Aztecs and Incas or any pagan country. Am I misremembering that?

That makes sense.

I seem to recall that at some point there was no +1 badboy for attacking the Aztecs or for taking their provinces. I'm not sure if it was just the Aztecs and Incas or any pagan country. Am I misremembering that?
No, that's correct. That would be an action BY a country from a "badboy_penalty = no" continent AGAINST a country whose religion is "annexable = yes", which is one of the scenarios I alluded to.

We are changing the text to:
Code:
#badboy_penalty = yes/no     If no, there is no badboy penalty for actions against countries with an "annexable = yes" religion (default is yes if not specified).
Is that clearer?

Reactions: