• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, been lurking here, and wanted to chip in. I've been tempted to throw five bucks on for a month or so to figure out whether I want to play CK2 or spend the money to play CK3. Without having played either with any depth, it looks like CK2 has benefitted from far more rule expansions over the years, and may be the more "mature" game in that respect. But I'm not sure I want to spend over 100 dollars to buy just the rules expansions to the base game when the sequel is under active development.

Yes, of course, PDX can and probably should drop the outright prices on the base game. Having the base game free is nice; I've tinkered around with it for a few minutes just to see how I liked it. But at this point, there is no "base game" any more--all the content I see about this game assumes you've already spent the last several years obediently buying every expansion as it's come out. That's pretty steep.

I know that this is standard PDX procedure--I play Stellaris and HOI4, and the game isn't the base game, it's the base game plus the current expansion level.

I'd gladly pay the base game's original sticker price to pick up the expanded game. I may be convinced to pay a little more. But a hundred dollars or more for a game that really demands a lot of time/attention to learn is extremely offputting to a novice.

By my calculation, based on current Steam prices, it would cost me $164.55 to get the "royal" bundle (the expansions, no eye candy, no music, whatever). So if I calculate it right, then, the subscription only becomes more expensive for me after some 32 months. So the calculation I'm having to make now is: is this fully-expanded game going to be worth 32 months of gameplay for me? Will CK3 progress to a point in the next several months that it would be a better deal for me to spend that same money (or more!) just buying the expansions of CK3 as they roll out?

Last edited:
all the content I see about this game assumes you've already spent the last several years obediently buying every expansion as it's come out. That's pretty steep.
It would be, yes. Your calculations above made two errors. One, you absolutely do not need every expansion, not even close. There are tons of threads on the topic, but the standard advice on the "what DLC should I get?" question is that Way of Life, Conclave, and Old Gods are must-haves, Legacy of Rome is nice to get retinues in the game but the game is fine without it, and the rest are entirely a matter of personal preference. If you want to play certain religions, government types, or regions, some DLCs are likely to be important or mandatory; if you don't care about any of the specialties those DLCs enable or enhance, they can be safely ignored.

Error #2: why would you ever buy computer games or DLCs that are not on sale? CK2 content goes on sale pretty regularly, so figure at least 50% off whatever you buy. And it's possible you can still get The Old Gods for free by signing up to the CK3 newsletter. Not sure if that still works or not. Anyway, total cost should be in the $11-22 range, unless you're really into a lot of the content the other DLCs enable or enhance.

As for the CK2 (buying some DLC or doing the subscription) vs. CK3 question, I can't help you. I despise Paradox's post-2007 business model with the endless sequence of DLCs, so I won't pay the slightest attention to CK3 until it's in its final state, probably about ten years from now.

Reactions:
Error #2: why would you ever buy computer games or DLCs that are not on sale? CK2 content goes on sale pretty regularly, so figure at least 50% off whatever you buy.
I agree with the vast majority of what you're saying, but I think this argument needs closer examination.

One of the reasons (waaay upthread) that people disliked the idea of a subscription was that it removes any incentive for Pdx to put DLCs on sale. So, I'm curious, have any CK2 DLCs gone on sale in the few months since the subsciption option was added?

Dear Paradox,
does your subscription service mean that the game is still being supported, or not?
Because I cannot see any responses in the bug report section.
To be honest, it was always quite rare for pdx to reply to bug report threads, even when ck2 was in active development.

I don't think pdx have explained their current support policy in any single post but, from what I recall and from the content of the recent patches, they are only fixing the most critical bugs (eg. crash to desktop, failure to launch).

Reactions:
Well it's a crash to desktop issue and it's over 10 days old and no reply so far.

That's a tech support issue. If you want help with it.
So wrong subforum.

If you use mods, then the issue could lie there.

If you don't use mods, then a clean un-and reinstall might help. (edit: i see in tech support you said you don't use mods)
In this case, delete the CK2 folder in Steam/Steamapps/common manually before reinstallation.
Don't (only) rely on the (via Steam or Windows) autouninstall-routine.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well it's a crash to desktop issue and it's over 10 days old and no reply so far.
Did you not read the reply to your previous post? Even when CKII was new, they pretty much never responded to anything in the bug report sub-forum.

I miss the days when AndrewT moderated the EUIII bug report sub-forum, and he responded to almost every bug report, even if it was only to acknowledge that he'd logged it.

Reactions:
All these keyboard warriors out here when I paid full price on release for the dlcs and still got my money out of it. Idk how paying 5 bucks once every couple months when you binge the game for four weeks is that bad.

Reactions:
Should have been an update/content as a parting gift to the players, not this.

If I was shaking my head just a bit harder right now it would come off.

Reactions:
I still got the message when opening CK2 so more then "nothing" has changed.

Only once and then you won't get it anymore, so nothing really has changed and you missed the point of the question, which
was refering to owning everything already..., sorry. ;)

Reactions:
Only once and then you won't get it anymore, so nothing really has changed and you missed the point of the question, which
was refering to owning everything already..., sorry. ;)
If I missed the "point" of that question it might be, because it was not well written. The verb "to affect" has a large spectre of meaning, so technically I did not missed it. Even the slightest change can be considered as "affecting"
And being technically right is the best kind of right.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
And being technically right is the best kind of right.
Well, well, well, disputable in in itself and here as i said you were even technically wrong,
as it refered to content, so DLCs making a difference. Being allegedly badly written appears
as a rather very subjective view. A last point of defense, a byzantine wall so to speak and these
crumble from the inside as we all know.
wiPb7MX.gif

Even if it is besides the point of the former argument,....as you speak of 'technically',
it should be "than" , not "then" here :
so more then "nothing"

Slightly offtopic, but you made me do it.
8YahOJf.gif

Last edited:
Yep "then" and "than" is hard (only 90° of different on one letter) so for the ortographe, I excuse, english is only my 4th language :)
Will try ck2 again, if it does not pop up every time, it'll be fine, I guess...

Reactions:

I was quite annoyed at it at first too and complained rather clearly in here back then as well, by the way.
Until i recognised it being turned off on next launch...
6jqFBQI.gif

IF you are already missing it, then you can see it again as soon as you edit the settings.txt file
and change "dismissed_splash=yes" to "no".
Just saying in case...
MfvvyDB.gif

Cheers

Yep "then" and "than" is hard (only 90° of different on one letter) so for the ortographe, I excuse, english is only my 4th language :)
hmm, there is still a big glowing button to let me know that i can subscribe, even if i already own all DLC's ... i don't see the point to put that in. (even more that the featured rulers to the right feature was taken away, wich was a good thing)