• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cities: Skylines Official

Corporal
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jul 31, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Colossal Order Staff
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
FAQ-Forum-1920x622.jpg

Why are you releasing the game if you have performance issues?
We've taken the long-term vision of the project into account and feel that a release now is the right step. Cities: Skylines II presents features a gameplay that we're very proud of and despite that the game is performance heavy, we believe it will be an experience you'll truly appreciate.

Will everyone experience performance issues?
It all depends on your PC configuration. Some will experience issues, some will not. It also depends on how high your graphic settings are compared to your hardware.

Is there anything I can do if I experience performance issues at launch?
Yes. We have determined a few graphic settings that have minimal impact on the player experience but increase performance significantly. We will provide more details shortly. Should you face any performance issues at launch, these configurations will be our top recommendations!

What Mod platform will be used for Cities: Skylines II?
We are using Paradox mods for Cities: Skylines II. This is to ensure cross-platform modding compatibility and to provide an integrated in-game experience for our players.

Will other mod platforms be supported?
No, we won't support other platforms such as Steam Workshop. We have decided to have Paradox Mods as our platform, as it allows us to have cross-platform modding compatibility. We also wanted mods to be more easily accesible in game, which we are able to do with Paradox Mods.

What do you mean with "the modding is in beta"?
It means that we have a small group of modders testing the tools out in a closed beta before it's released publicly (which will happen soon!).

Will CS1 mods be usable in CS2?
No, mods from Cities: Skylines are not compatible with Cities: Skylines II. It is built on an entirely new codebase and its fidelity is vastly different. As such, it requires its own unique mods. With that said, some of the best mods creators from Cities: Skylines have early access to the sequel and who knows - perhaps they are already working on a new version of your favourite Mod for Cities: Skylines II.

Will mods be supported on console?
Yes! Asset Mods will be available for Console users. Due to restrictions code mods are not possible on Console.

When will modding be available to everyone?
Modding is currently in a beta phase and will be available to PC players soon after release. Console users will get access to modding too, and we will share a timeline later on.

Can I be part of the modding beta?
We do not have an application to become part of our beta group. Our team keeps an eye out for modders who are community leaders and have a history of positive impact on the community. If you do, you might eventually be invited!

Will GeForce also have mods support?
No, mods will not be supported on GeForce

Read out FAQ here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...for-cities-skylines-ii.1601865/#post-29185202

Last edited:
  • 18Like
Reactions:
Hello,

Thank you for answering our questions in a simple message.

You explain that small setups may have issues with graphics settings. Can we have standard configurations for each quality and each screen resolution?

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really hope that we can still install mods outside of using any workshop like we can now.

Will there be an online catalog to search from without logging in?

Will there be any api access to the new mod platform?

Who is going to moderate the new mod platform?

I’d love to have a discussion about what I’ve been working on with you guys.

Figure I’ll announce it later today.

• 17Like
Reactions:
Do you really need to ask Why? Ask yourself how PDXMods can compete with Steam Workshop first.
Why does it need to compete? It's a platform for one game only.

• 6Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Whatever man I'm done with you. You can quite easily see how CS1 is only successful because of the workshop. If the workshop had not existed or had launched with an in house workshop it would have flopped.
You are correct. At the same time players on Nvidia Now, Xbox Gamepass, Epic game store, console did not have access to the wealth of mods available. I think the reasoning at CO/PDX was: How can we bring mods to these players too?

• 10Like
Reactions:
I think it’s a bit forced. CS2 could use the workshop and the modding client at the same time and mods from both sources are loaded or workshop mods could be loaded into the client (similar to Stellaris).

• 8Like
Reactions:
No, we won't support other platforms such as Steam Workshop.

This is an enormous mistake. I can't even emphasize enough how significant this error is.

At a time when people are increasingly frustrated with fragmented accounts that were previously centralized and offered convenience for the audience, not including the Steam Workshop – which is undoubtedly the best platform (very well so compared to yours) – is a decision I would have never expected you to genuinely push through.

• 44Like
Reactions:
View attachment 1031551

Why are you releasing the game if you have performance issues?
We've taken the long-term vision of the project into account and feel that a release now is the right step. Cities: Skylines II presents features a gameplay that we're very proud of and despite that the game is performance heavy, we believe it will be an experience you'll truly appreciate.

Will everyone experience performance issues?
It all depends on your PC configuration. Some will experience issues, some will not. It also depends on how high your graphic settings are compared to your hardware.

Is there anything I can do if I experience performance issues at launch?
Yes. We have determined a few graphic settings that have minimal impact on the player experience but increase performance significantly. We will provide more details shortly. Should you face any performance issues at launch, these configurations will be our top recommendations!

What Mod platform will be used for Cities: Skylines II?
We are using Paradox mods for Cities: Skylines II. This is to ensure cross-platform modding compatibility and to provide an integrated in-game experience for our players.

Will other mod platforms be supported?
No, we won't support other platforms such as Steam Workshop. We have decided to have Paradox Mods as our platform, as it allows us to have cross-platform modding compatibility. We also wanted mods to be more easily accesible in game, which we are able to do with Paradox Mods.

It means that we have a small group of modders testing the tools out in a closed beta before it's released publicly (which will happen soon!).

Will CS1 assets be usable in CS2?
No, mods from Cities: Skylines are not compatible with Cities: Skylines II. It is built on an entirely new codebase and its fidelity is vastly different. As such, it requires its own unique mods. With that said, some of the best mods creators from Cities: Skylines have early access to the sequel and who knows - perhaps they are already working on a new version of your favourite Mod for Cities: Skylines II.

Will mods be supported on console?
Yes! Asset Mods will be available for Console users. Due to restrictions code mods are not possible on Console.

Modding is currently in a beta phase and will be available to PC players soon after release. Console users will get access to modding too, and we will share a timeline later on.

Can I be part of the modding beta?
We do not have an application to become part of our beta group. Our team keeps an eye out for modders who are community leaders and have a history of positive impact on the community. If you do, you might eventually be invited!

Hi, my name is Marcos, aka MarkFire, and I'm the creator of some map themes for Cities Skylines, such as Cedar Valley. I'm looking forward to playing Cities Skylines 2 and contributing to the creation of new map themes. However, I'll be using the Game Pass platform this time. I'd like to know if you'll indeed have a separate platform for mods and if I could get access to the theme creation tool during the beta.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hi, my name is Marcos, aka MarkFire, and I'm the creator of some map themes for Cities Skylines, such as Cedar Valley. I'm looking forward to playing Cities Skylines 2 and contributing to the creation of new map themes. However, I'll be using the Game Pass platform this time. I'd like to know if you'll indeed have a separate platform for mods and if I could get access to the theme creation tool during the beta.
You’ll be included.

• 2Like
Reactions:
No steam workshop is a big NONO.

I don't against Paradox having its own mod platform (for players outside steam), but the workshop must stay in the loop.

Last edited:
  • 28Like
Reactions:
Hello CO staff, thanks for this information. I'd like to point out that you have a error in the structure of your post, at question 6 you have

Then at answer 9 is the first time you mention modding being in beta.

While were at it, if you went and moved the questions around so the flow makes sense, question 8 would also need to be moved and kept above where the new location for question 9 is for the flow of the questions to make sense.

Just thought I would try to be helpful, because at first when I read the questions it didn't flow right because you were talking about things that you hadn't introduced yet and then afterwards you introduce them.

Keep up the great work and can't wait to play the game!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The main question to me is if the new Paradox Workshop is going to have the same or better functionality compared to the Steam Workshop, or will be a simplified (and worse) version in sake of compatibility with consoles.

• 34Like
Reactions: