• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheRealRemus

Lehnsherr
86 Badges
Mar 6, 2018
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Hello everyone, I have some questions about how making children mercenaries works out.
what do children gain of it?
So far my heir gains +3 extra prestige, he even has some battlefield experience and hadan Event which made him wrothful.
No doubt that he will gain more traits as brave and other tactics traits etc.
However is all that worth the risk?
Furthermore how long do they work as mercenaries a decade, longer or even until inheritance?

I am quite afraid that my others dynasty members will kill off all their offspring like that, some Dude made both his sons to mercenaries :s

Prestige and Personal Combat Skill through duels and battlefield experience.

If I'm remembering correctly, it's mostly for Nomad Succession-type stuff, as the son with the most prestige and the same culture inherits the Khagan Title.

I'm not sure if it still works but it used to be the case that if your heir was the captain of your custom mercenary band then they would bring all of that band's cash with them when you died and they took over. Later in the game that could mean some serious coin !

Worth more than any trait IMO !

I'm not sure if it still works but it used to be the case that if your heir was the captain of your custom mercenary band then they would bring all of that band's cash with them when you died and they took over. Later in the game that could mean some serious coin !

Worth more than any trait IMO !

Feudal mercenary bands appear very similar to nomad mercenary bands in normal gameplay - but they are a bit different "under the hood". (Bloodline mercenary bands use the nomad mercenary band mechanics.) So, you can't always assume that your experiences with one type of mercenary band will translate to the other.

The big difference is that nomad/bloodline mercenary bands can only have one leader - if he dies (or is summoned back to your court via the right-click menu, or inherits a landed title) then the mercenary band disappears. The gold doesn't vanish - but I think there are a lot of better and easier ways to make money.

Also worth bearing in mind: nomad/bloodline mercenary leaders have a tendency to acquire the kind of suboptimal trait that you might associate with a brutal mercenary leader - eg. wroth, cruel, greedy, drunkard. TBH, that's the main reason I tend to pull them back after they've got the actually-desirable "adventurer" trait.

But then again, I use the same reasoning for NOT recruiting my heir into a warrior lodge.