• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My point was twofold, firstly you have to be the leader of your war to get anything (damn ungrateful AI) and you have to be able to keep it. I still get the vibe that Poland's military is very stretched defending the existing country let alone conquests that add little but territory that will rebel and further distract Poland from expanding.

Ahh, Yea that makes perfect sense. You have pretty much summarized the entire next update. Lots of fighting for very little gain. Silly of me to hope for a peaceful reign for once huh?

Last edited:
Charge!!!

Chaper 12

MASSIVE SIGH

The reign of Aleksander II Karol Jagiellon looked from its beginnings to be a Peaceful one. The horde was severely occupied with other christian states and rebellion in the East. King Aleksander granted some of the first religious freedoms in Europe. While this caused some grumblings among both clergy and nobility none dared to go against the king.

However fate is a cruel mistress at the bestof times and on the 1st of July 1482 Aleksander dies as a result of a sudden and severe fever. This causes Lithuania to break away once again and a Regency council to be formed (AN: How many are these now, somebody please count them) while waiting for Aleksanders on August to come of age. However some great advances where also made in the field of landbased warfare. German officers hired by Aleksander succesfully intergrated the tactics used by the famed Landsknecht into the Polish army. Also remarkable advances were made in the field of artillery. Cannons were now light enough to be brought to proper open battles instead of only sieges.

Some god news arrived from the Eastern front as the Horde conceded defeat to Poland again. The new tactics and weapons proved brutally effective. The Hordes cavalry charges broke upon Polish pikewalls like water on cliffs while the artillery made swiss cheese of the infantry formations.

The Swedish-Danish war of Halland

On the 30th of July 1483 a delegation from Sweden arrived in Krakow and requested Poland to join their war against Denmark. The Regency Council agreed to send the Polish navy as support. No Major battles were fought at sea and Poland withdrew from the war as soon as possible.

This decision was not met with any protests from the Swedes as the war was practically over already.

Lithuanian reconquest of Minsk

The Lithuanian attempt to retake Minsk is a vary unnoteworthy event in Polish history. Poland only fought one major battle during the war. The Battle of Kiev against the Ukrainian army. The Ukrainian army was Pursued to Poltava and Captured en masse.

Holy Roman Reclamation of Ösel

After the Lithuanian reconquest of Minsk another 2 years ofg peace followed and the Regency council was hoping for time to prepare for a war against Lithuania. It was however interupted when Austria declared war on the Teutonic knights in an attempt to take the laste Imperial territory away from her. Poland answered the call along with Lithuania and Sweden. Polish forces faced Austrian ones in Podlasie and won a decisive victory.

Next was the battle of Ostpreussen. Polish and Austrian forces met outside Königsberg and the Polish cavalry proved far superiou to the Austrian. After a short battle the entire Austrian force was surrounded and captured.

Lithuania was however not so competent and were forced to cede Trakai and Wenden to Austria. The Regency council would not stand for this and Polish troops poured into the Austrian Baltic states. Victory was secured a few months later. Kurland was returned to the Teutonic Knights and Trakai ceded to its rightul owner. The Polish Crown.

Poland is now able to focus all her efforts on the Horde again. A swift victory is needed if forces are to be avaiable for a reclamation of the Lithuanian crown. Augusts coronation is only 1 year away.

To be continued

Last edited:
How did Austria end up that far North? I've never seen that before! :eek:

Imperial guarantees for Riga + Teuton stupidity would be my guess.

Charge!!!

Chapter 13

Crowning Our Future

On the 17th of May 1490 August II Jagiellon is crowned king of Poland. At 15 years old he is one of the youngest Polish kings to start a war. August emediatly orders the reconquest of the Lithuanian crown. The war is swift and brutal. In only a few months Lithuania is brought back into the fold. The swiftness of this campaign is mostly attributed to pro-Polish nobles undermining the Lithuanian defenses.

With the Lithuanian crown secured August invites all prominent nobles of both Poland, Lithuania and the Queen of Sweden to a great feast where they are all introduced to Jan Albert. The official heir to the twin thrones.

On the topic of faith.

In 1495 the King of Denmark officially breaks with both the Pope and Catholicism and embraces Protestantism. This is shortly followed by the Bohemian king embracing the Reformed faith. This starts spreading into Poland like wildfire. Ersekujvar is first to embrace this new faith.

Consolidating the state

The opening years of the 16th century is a rather tumultuos time for Poland with 3 major events all happening in 1503. First is the Conversion of King August II to the Reformed faith and by default this now becomes the state religion in Poland. Lithuania is allowed to remain faithful to their own religions.

The next is the moving of the Polish capital from Krakow to Warsaw. Closer to the major events of Europe. The Third is the establishment of a Center of Trade in Danzig. All the trade coming through it makes it the natural choice.

Beware the Hun

With all these changes taking place Poland is a very destracted state. The King Hungary is afraid of further Polish agression towards his state and resolves to declare war on Poland. Poland is outnumbered as both Lithuania and recently somewhat secularized Prussia is not in official alliances with Poland. Hungary and its allies Bavaria and Brandenburg begin crossing the Polish border. 16 000 Brandenburgers march towards Poznan with only 12 000 Poles to stop them. Likewise on the Southern front in Ersekujvar.

To be continued.

Last edited:
I would just like to make a short statement: The next update will take a while, mostly because I have a life outside this forum. Also because ive been playing Final Fantasy XIII (Yes I like it! Sue me!) It might be about a week before the next update. Hope to c ya there.

I would just like to make a short statement: The next update will take a while, mostly because I have a life outside this forum. Also because ive been playing Final Fantasy XIII (Yes I like it! Sue me!) It might be about a week before the next update. Hope to c ya there.

How dare you have a life outside this forum! :mad: :p

I, for one, will eagerly await your return!

Why did you convert to Reformed? What's the rationale? I always thought Reformed suited best smaller, trading nations.

The rationale is that about 70% of my provinces are Reformed with a -11,7% chance of converting. I figured that the King would see reason and convert long with his nation.

I am sorry to announce that the next update is going to be the last one for Poland. A severe defeat coupled with the hordes advance inflicted upon me a defeat from wich I could not recover. Rebels were everywhere.

Charge!!!

Chapter 14

The Hungarian war of Agression

The Hungarian war of agression pitted the Kingdom of Poland against the Kingdom of Hungary and the electorate of Brandenburg. While the Hungarian Capital was taken very swiftly its army fled North to join with the Brandenburgers

When faced with the highly diciplined soldiers of Brandenburg the Polish army could not hold its own and in Poznan they are dealt heavy casualties. However both Polish and Hungarian forces are heading North. The Polish army manages to intercept the Hungarians before they can join with the Brandenburgers.

This massive success ensures that Hungary is willing to accept peace on terms that they acknowledge the Polish nation as superior.(Hungary concedes defeat).

After the peace Poland enters into a great era of peace, however the confidence gained will soon prove to be the downfall of the Polish Kingdom.

After many years of peace Poland has become relaxed and its defences neglected. The Horde appears again and this time no Polish forces are available to fight them back. Also the Kingdom of Hungary takes this opportunity to expunge the shame of the latest defeat and in 1519 the declaration of war arrives in Warsaw.

Polish forces are ordered to deal with the Hungarians first and a year of succesfull campaigning ensues. Filled with overconfidence the Polish army walks right into a trap set by the Hungarians. The entire force is massacred and Poland is wide open to the horde.

After this not much can be done. Much of the polish nobility has perished in war and rebellious tensions are at an alltime high. The nation of Poland is Partitioned between varous western powers in 1521 and its king exiled to an unknown location.

The End
Authors note: Wow, I have never in my life experienced such an anticlimax before. Well this AAR is over but I will not stop. I have two ideas that are spinning in my head at the moment for a new AAR. I will probably just end up flipping a coin.

1. I will reatempt my Sweden AAR.

2. The Teutonic order/Prussia.

Well im off to find a suitable coin

C ya

Play from this moment on as prussia, make the last bits of poland as its vasal, and make an aar about it. i also hope that this victory for the horde will make them go reconquer rus

Tricky game. It can be really disappointing. Poland looks easy but sooner or later you only have enemies all around you.
I've been trying to play Poland with the patch 5.1 and let me tell you, it's literally impossible. The horde is invincible and unstoppable now. Actually... I may play a game with the horde because I bet I can conquer the world in a few years. Sarcasm aside, yes... that ridiculous it is.

Good luck with your next AAR.

Sorry to see this go.

Any chance a silent watcher could weight the coin in favor of the Teutons?

That is the beuty of coins, they cant be affected. Its 50-50.

Play from this moment on as prussia, make the last bits of poland as its vasal, and make an aar about it. i also hope that this victory for the horde will make them go reconquer rus

Already deleted the save.

Tricky game. It can be really disappointing. Poland looks easy but sooner or later you only have enemies all around you.
I've been trying to play Poland with the patch 5.1 and let me tell you, it's literally impossible. The horde is invincible and unstoppable now. Actually... I may play a game with the horde because I bet I can conquer the world in a few years. Sarcasm aside, yes... that ridiculous it is.

Good luck with your next AAR.

Thank you.

It was great while it lasted.
But why wouldn't you want to let some provinces go and strike back later on?

Horde wouldnt accept peace so I couldnt recruit any troops at all. Between that and rebels everywhere there wasnt much I could do.

Last edited: