• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sunbro BigBoss

Akrites
31 Badges
Sep 29, 2013
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Playing as Haesteinn i conquered Brittany and my provinces suddenly started converting to norman. Is that working as designed? I find strange that Norse (North Germanic) combined with Breton (Celtic) gives as a result Norman, which belongs to neither of it's "parent" cultures.

It's WAD as far as I know :) Think it was implemented to give a wider array of possible areas for it to appear (and there was a close relationship between britanny and normandy historically)

Haesteinn is in place to allow Normans to come about in the 867 start. Vikings settling in the north of France is how the Normans came about. Its a tad silly working in Brittany, but its entirely WAD.

Perhaps the devs used de iure e_Francia instead of k_France as the geographical condition for the Norman culture. Possibly without stopping to examine the matter of Brittany in particular in more detail.

Its the three cultures, not the title - Cornwall could convert the same way.

Presumably, the argument would be that Norse interlopers would still be more affected by the french culture next to them, rather than the locals (and Brittany may not have remained that distinct if conquered by Normandy and immigration had happened).

Thanks for all the answers, here's one more, sice I haven't found it myself: Is there any culture mod that "fixes" this?

Does it happen via decision or is it forced upon the player-AI? If it happens 'just because' its a tad bit lame.

The "must be independant" requirement is what bugs me the most, though...

Yeah... It makes no sense. The first Normans were allways vasalls of the French crown. This should be removed.

Does it happen via decision or is it forced upon the player-AI? If it happens 'just because' its a tad bit lame.

It's a event that turns the province into Norman.

The Normans were descended form Vikings so personally i don't see why it should be considered silly or stupid for Norse to convert to Norman culture in the game with certain geographical areas.

WAD, by 1066 only lower class Western Bretons were speaking Breton as their main language, so realistically Breton should drift in to the Latin group too.

It is stupid and silly with regards to the historical struggle that defined Brittany as separate and independent realm until the 16th century. Conversion to "Norman" culture is representative of integration into the Frankish/French collective and should signal the Viking assimilation into that culture.

WAD, by 1066 only lower class Western Bretons were speaking Breton as their main language, so realistically Breton should drift in to the Latin group too.

This fact (source?) should not cause the threshold to be met - rather the control of the area should be determinate. Which is in direct conflict with the event. All the period rulers (even Charles V the most successful during the game's time period) attempting to gain control over the realm failed and as Louis IV stated - that Brittany was not a part of his realm (10th century) while they were fighting and overcoming the Viking invaders. As separate realms they should be granted the dignity of keeping separated culturally.

Once Brittany is conquered in-game by a Frankish or French realm, I can see a drift into the Latin group occurring. The specific requirements of this event are screwy and it should be revamped.

Last edited:
It is sadly just a consequence of game design, we can't get every single detail our hearts desire.

That culture melting pot should definitely be re worked, trying to play a norman game at ToG start is a hassle, as for Brittany turning norman, yea that doesn't make so much sense but without it it would be close to impossible to ever have normans appear.
As for not turning norman when vassalised, I can see where this is coming since norse you be able to convert potentially the entire frankish kingdom while not being top liege, bu I do think it should happens at least within the dejure duchy of Normandy.
Maybe Being a vassal of a frankish king should even be a condition, then norman brittany would make sense, also the event should happen faster and not allow counties to turn norse instead of norman.