• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Olson arrives in Cathargo Nova, a little out of breath. He looks at the EHA lobbyist and Per Leary. A deep expression of concern crosses his face as he looks at the lobbyist. The matter that has been discussed is clearly of great importance to Olson.

"First, let me say 'thank you' for your support during the last election. It is important that the Party of Liberty remembers its friends and supporters. The Party of Liberty is absolutely dedicated to the civil rights of the gay and lesbian community. I apologize that we haven't started the fight quite yet, I admit that we were caught up with the debate on the budget, and the monarchy. I promise this is not a sign of lack of commitment or anything else. We are doing the best we can.

"The Homosexual Equality bill was a decent piece of legislation when it was written. I agree that civil unions are not enough, although they were a good step forward at the time. It is insulting to say 'you can have the same rights, as long as its called something else'. In my mind, there is only marriage, not 'gay marriage'. The EHA is only asking for equal rights, which I understand. However, we must stay aware of the political climate. Passing an ammendment, though desireable, probably won't happen this term. The Nationalists and probably the MRP will vote against it, so an iron-clad guarentee of rights is probably going to have to wait until the PoL and ELP gain more seats.

"However, I think we have another avenue available to us, namely the court system. The Homosexual Equality act, in its first point, says that homosexaul rights are equal to those of any other Eutopians. Then it goes on to back away from this statement, with 'civil unions' on point three. I believe we should go to the courts and say that since all people are equal, under the act, that means that homosexuals should have the same rights to adoption and marriage. If the EHA thinks such a plan is feasible, I'll round up a lawyer and send it to the courts. Another possible solution would be to amend the Homosexual Equality bill, until it simply says point one. Take out all the civil union nonsense."

Olson waits quietly and respectfully for a response.

"As you said earlier, legislation is subject to being overturned on a simple majority vote. Constitutional amendments, once enshrined, are very difficult to overturn. I would very much like to see the ideals of the Homosexual Equality Bill become a Constitutional guarantee. However, as Per Olson just mentioned, the political climate may not be receptive to such a sweeping change. That doesn't mean we won't fight for it, but I can't see opposing a compromise that would get us a majority of what we seek, and then carrying on the fight for the areas we still need to address."

"Of course, we're talking about the political climate without having actually spoken to the other parties. The Moderate Party might be more receptive to our ideas on this issue than we think. Heck, there might even be a few rogue members of the ENP who would break ranks."

"The course of action I'd recommend, and I think you can agree with this, is to propose and push for a Constitutional ammendment with all the guarantees we seek. If a compromise solution looks passable, we can assess it from there."

OOC: Just gonna do this here, so save PM space for us.

Colin takes the card and smiles. "Thank you for your time."

When he arrives at his office, he immediately sets to writing a brief email.

Prof. von Streusser,

Hello, I'm Colin Leary, senior legislator of the Party of Liberty. In a recent meeting a represenative of the EBA gave me your email address and suggested I meet with you to discuss the economic impact of Amric Al'Aeshir's enviromental bill and other legislative matters in Eutopia. I've followed your career and I am not hesitant to tell you I'm something of an admirer of your economic policies. I would be very interested to hear what you have to say on the matter. If you are available, I would love to meet with you. My office door is always open, or some other location if you prefer.

Thank you,

Colin Leary

Last edited:
The EHA rep smiles at Olson. "Thank you, Per Olson. See, he notices a problem that needs to be fixed, and rather than making excuses for defeat before beginning the fight, comes up with a way around the problem, a different plan of attack. That's a strategy we can support.

Look, I know Rome wasn't built in a day. But it wasn't built on half-measures either. By all means, start the fight now, and do what you think is right. But you asked what we wanted, and I told you, and that will be the measuring stick of your success in the future."

A package arrives for the EBA representatives. Within is a copy of the Emergency Industrial Administration Bill, and a copy of the Eutopian Constitution, with the articles pertaining to property highlighted. A hand-written note is also included.

The right of Eutopians to be secure in their property shall not be abridged. I will defeat this bill.

J. O'Floinn

Woody drops by the EBA table and explains how he didn't like seeing Eutopian businesses being discriminated against by Amric Al'Aeshir in his proposed freezing out of local buyers.
"Not only is it bad business, is probably is unconstitutional as well."
Constitution Art. 11. said:
[Profession] Neither the government nor private organizations or industries shall infringe upon the right of citizens to pursue whatever lawful calling they may choose, provided they are qualified for it.
Constitution Art. 28. said:
[Discrimination] No right or privilege, whether granted publicly or privately, by statute, code, regulation, common law, practice, or other means, shall be denied, abridged, or otherwise altered on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or indicia of those.
"If you feel your profession is to run one of those businesses, who is Amric to say you can't because you are Eutopian?"

The EBA rep folds his hands and looks at Park evenly. "But, Reverend, Per Al'Aeshir isn't trying to deny Eutopians the right to practice a given profession, he's simply not giving them the option to practice said profession through one of his businesses. Any Eutopians who feel, say, hardwood flooring manufacture is their calling are welcome to open a competing factory.

"Saying Amric Al'Aeshir is denying Eutopians the opportunity to practice their chosen profession is like saying that, by holding the office, President Zhokhyen is preventing people who feel they should be President from pursuing their profession."

Yes, I suppose I am stretching the point a bit, but at least I have your attention. There are only laws against things that people do. We don't have laws against riding wild tigers on the sidewalk, because we didn't think we needed one. Mr. Al'Aeshir was a businessman, a very successful one. Following in the footsteps of famous businessmen, he partially turned to philanthrophy. That is something I try to encourage. He also realized that sometimes, by paying more than the minimum wage or by providing better working conditions for his employees, he could get or keep better workers and get more out of them as well. In the situations where he first applied it, it helped his businesses. This led him into an apparent error of applying it more generally, in businesses where the same benefits were not reproduced. I am from Labor party, so this is not something I say lightly, but in those later cases, paying more was not doing his employees a favor, because it has endangered the viability of those businesses, and therefore the jobs of those workers.

The other problems seemed to stem from mixing business with philanthrophy and that Mr. Al'Aeshir was so used to being rich and successful, he began throwing his money around inappropriately. Take his grand resort hotel. It has indoor skiing! That is quite a novelty, and I am sure it generated some initial buzz and some visitors, but the cost here must be prohibitive, and the length of the run is too short to appeal to real skiers. At that cost per minute spent skiing, it is far cheaper to fly to a real ski resort. We cannot have a law against bad business decisions, because it is hard to know what is right beforehand. But we can have specific emergency legislation when discrimination against Eutopians and loss of tax revenues seem apparent.

That helps explain how his businesses ran into problems. He was too used to being a CEO to deal with the necessary compromises in the GA to get an environmental bill passed that didn't bankrupt businesses like yours or throw workers out on the street. So he quit the GA, the MRP, and wants to be be rid of his environmental businesses. That may not be a very mature reaction, but it is okay, if he goes about it appropriately. That he is considering selling to foreign investors is perfectly acceptable. That he is not willing to sell to domestic investors, among whom you would be the most likely candidates, is not. Placing a restriction on to whom you will sell a business or an asset that you will have no future involvement with is potentially discriminatory, and in this case has two additional unfavorable by-products. If Amric comes to his senses or his board asserts itself, then the bill I proposed would return control to them immediately. Until that time, it subcontracts to the sale of those businesses to people who will conduct them in a commercially reasonable fashion, so that you can bid, so that a business isn't needlessly closed and workers thrown out of their jobs because a legitimate domestic bidder wasn't allowed to buy the company, and so the best price is achieved, so AAH loses aren't inflated, sheltering the income from areas of AAH that are still profitable. Representing the workers, I admit the primary motivation for me to propose the bill was to prevent needless loss of jobs, but the approach reflected in the language of the bill does stick to that limited point. It opens up the bidding to all, so the members of the EBA are no longer excluded, and it keeps Amric from foisting part of the cost of his petulance on the Eutopian taxpayers.

I have also drafted some legislation which is awaiting economic impact statements from the ECB which should help the house construction and home renovation sectors, on which I would welcome your comments.

von Hapsburg is on a visit to the table prominently labeled "Eutopian Conference of Catholic Bishops". The table is manned by a clergyman, Fr. Patrick O'Hagan.

"Good morning, Father. I have an interesting proposal. I am going to go against my party and put forward an abolition of the death penalty on the federal level. Will you endorse such a bill?"

(OOC: This is part of a plan to introduce said bill.)

Amric saunters into the 'Nova wearing a fashionable black sling for his arm. He heads directly to the DEE table. Amric skates a DVD-Rom to them.

"You people are the sorriest excuse for environmentalists I've EVER seen. But no matter how pitiful you are I have a present for you. Here is all the information I collected during the days of the Eutopian Society for the Environment. You're welcome to have it all. Not that you fools will do anything with it. Sitting here on your overtly plush posteriors instead of actually DOING anything about the environment. I'm ashamed of the way my 'descendants' have acted, or in this case, NOT acted. No, don't bother saying anything. You have nothing I want to hear."

With that, the former President stalks out of the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin sits down at the ECL rep's table.

"Good afternoon. I know normally we're not on the same side of the issues, but I think there is one bill that I've proposed that your organization would be happy to support. The Infrastructure Expansion Act will create thousands of temporary and permanent jobs. These jobs will include union dockworkers."

"Despite its name, the ELP has refused to support or even second the bill. I was curious what your thoughts were on the bill."

Colin drops by the EBA table as well.

"Well, the dividend tax has been reformed and I suspect the EBA didn't oppose the passage of the Shipping, Transportation, and Maritime Construction Stimulus Bill. We're currently debating the Revised Worker's Rights Bill and the Infrastructure Expansion Act is only waiting on a second. I'm sure you support the RWRB, its certainly an improvement over the existing law, but what I wanted to see is how the EBA felt about the infrastructure act. It will help magnify the benefits of the STMCB and certainly is pro growth."

Woody drops by to visit the ECL reps.
"I managed to get the agenda in the GA changed to delay consideration of Colin Leary's assult on the workers bill of rights, but the discussion of the infrastructure bill won't last long, and that terrible bill is next on the agenda. I will continue to point out, at great length, every flaw, big or little in the bill, but eventually debate will close and there will be a vote, which I am not confident about. Is there something your organization can do to show how poorly received his bill will be?"

Leary stops by to chat with the Defenders of the Eutopian Environment.

"Well, as you know doubt know, the Clean Eutopia Act has finally been seconded and is nearing a vote. Depsite the fact that I hammered out the original proposal with the President, his party has voiced the most complaints thus far. I think von Hapsburg and Sykes, along with their followers in the party may support the bill. I expect the MRP to come out strongly in favor of it, along with my own party. The ELP previously voiced concerns, but Per Park was the driving force behind them. He's out of the GA, but now the Party chairman, so they are the wild card in my mind. I think the bill would pass, I just don't know if it would pass with a veto proof, super majority."

"This is a hot issue. The last polls said 60% of the population consider the enviroment a very important issue. I'd like for your organization to help us push for this bill. Some ads in certain districts, particularly von Hapsburg and Sykes along with their followers and vulnerable ELP members could help squeeze out a few more votes. I'll definately be speaking on it again, but your organization's help would be most appreciated."

"Well, of course, we'll be putting the word out, Per Leary, but everyone's expecting to hear this sort of thing from us. Some rhetoric from the politicians in support of it wouldn't hurt -- especially the President, if he's really behind it. As I say, people expect an environmental lobbying group to speak in favor of the environment; when conservative politicians come out in favor of it, they'll know it's serious."

The campaign season is nearing, so Colin stops by Carthaog Nova to chat with a few special interest groups.

EBA: "Greetings, gentleper. As you know, the elections are nearing, and quite frankly the PoL is counting on your support. I'd say we've been the most active pro-growth party in the General Assembly by a long shot. Tax reform, infrastructure renewal, labor law reform, and the Shipping, Transportation, and Maritime Construction Stimulus Bill should do a lot to help the economy. I just wanted to stop by and check in with guys, and make sure we can count on your endorsement for the next term."

AFSF: "Hello. The Veteran's Pension Act was passed, and I can pledge the PoL is dedicated towards making sure that pension increase stays in place for next term's budget. Of course, you gentelmen realize that the elections are drawing near, and I'd like to make sure the PoL has your support."

DEE: "I'm cautiously hopeful that the President's veto of the Clean Eutopia Act will be overturned. However, in the event that it isn't, I was curious what your feelings were on the President's revised Enviromental Reform Act? Frankly, I'm not a fan of it on several levels, but it is probably better than nothing."

"Of course, elections are coming up, and with a new President and GA, I think the CEA would have a good chance next term. Which brings me to the second reason I'm here. I've put up a strong fight for the CEA, and the PoL leadership stands behind it. So we'd like to be able to count on your support for the coming elections, no other party has taken the issue of the enviroment as seriously as we have."

EHA: "Well, the Equal Access to Marriage Amendment is up for a vote. Thankfully, the ELP has been a staunch supporter - except Per Park who thankfully has kept quiet on the issue. Of course, its going to come down to how the MRP votes. Still, we've pushed hard and we'll continue to do so until we get it passed. Have you considered which party you'll be endorsing in the next election cycle? You endorsed the PoL last term, and we haven't forgotten about you, so we'd like to continue to be able to count on your support."

Marshall O'Sullivan steps into Carthago Nova to meet with some of the delegates of the various lobbying groups there. He smiles easily, approaching the Eutopian Business Association first.

"Good afternoon. I am Marshall O'Sullivan, leader of the Patriotic Eutopians for Liberty and I wondered whether I could bend your ear for a moment?

You see I think my party can do a lot of good for your cause. I myself am a businessman - I own a controlling share in a small biochemicals laboratory in Neuwestbaden. And I know your concerns. My party wants to hold back the tide of regulation that (with the Clean Eutopian Act) seems to be rising at the moment. We want to force through measures to cut business tax rates as well. We even endorse a flat tax that, I am sure you will agree with me, would simplify a complex tax system and reduce overheads for the businesses and the employees of businesses that you represent.

I understand that last term you endorsed the MRP? In the light of one of it's leading member's, Amric Al'Aeshir, vastly irresponsible acts of economic sabotage against the Eutopian economy will you be reconsidering your endorsement?

"I don't know, Per Leary," says the EBA rep. "We've been relatively satisfied with your party's performance this Term, though short-term earnings took a hit with Al'Aeshir's implosion -- not a lot you could do about that, though." He rubs his chin. "Still, the CEA is going to be a burden for a lot of our people. I know the public wants environmental protection, but we could've stood something a little less... what's the word... invasive." He brightens. "Like that bill President Zhokhyen proposed, for example. It had those lovely tax cuts in it, for example..."

He spots O'Sullivan heading for the table. "Now, here comes one of those PEL chaps -- what can the PoL offer me that they can't offer me more of?"

* * *​

The AFSF rep nods thoughtfully. "You've done well for us, Mr. Leary, but we really hoped for more. With the ENP in power, you probably could've gotten a long-term commitment to an increase; now our pensions depend on whichever politician gets in next Term. If it's you, we're fine; if it's not...

"But that's all past history. The Term XIII budget mandated a full eight percent of the budget to the military, and the only bill passed spent a bit of it on the pensions of our vets. What about the rest of the money? We'd like to see people still in the service get some of that love, if you understand me."

* * *​

The DEE reps are unequivocally pleased. "Well done on the CEA, Per Leary. We're thrilled that those polluters will finally have some legislation to restrain them. So, what's next for your environmental crusade?"

* * *​

The EHA reps look encouraged. "You'll have done us a great favor if your bill gets passed. Of course we'll be thinking of the PoL when it comes to the election, but what are your upcoming legislative priorities? We'd like to see some hate crimes legislation..."

* * *​

The EBA rep sits down with Marshall O'Sullivan outside of Leary's earshot. "Well, Mr. Sullivan, we're always prepared to reconsider our political position for the benefit of our members. To be sure, we're not overwhelmed by the mileage we've gotten out of our support for the MRP. Anything cutting taxes on businesses is sure to get our attention -- it's a great stimulator for growth, as you know.

"A flat tax, though, I don't know... we've gotten many new startup businesses in the recent past that benefit from numerous tax deductions. They might wind up paying substantially more under a flat tax scheme than under the current graded scheme."

DEE: Well, we're researching a bill that would strengthen the automobile emissions section of the CEA, and apply to all autos sold in Eutopia. It would create a cap on the amount of emissions each class of vehicle is allowed to produce.

Also next term, I'd like to see the budget set some money aside for research and development of enviromentally friendly technologies.

AFSF: No matter how the bill was phrased, you'd be at the whim of the politicians in charge next term, but cutting the pensions of veterans isn't exactly a move that plays well in the press, so I'd say your increase is safe.

As to how the rest of the money was spent, I don't know at the moment. The way I see it, there are two ways to give the boys currently serving some love. Better pay/benefits and better equipment to do their duty with. At the moment, I'm not sure which is more pressing. Levarge did modernize our armed forces, but from what I hear the navy could use some better equipment to do its job. Anyway, let's just say I'd remain committed to keeping military spending where it is at and making sure the funds are spent to help the men and women in uniform.

EHA: Well, with the MRP having the swing vote on the amendment, I'm not entirely positive it will pass. It's only going to take one vote against from them to torpedo the whole thing, since I'm sure the ENP is going to vote no. If it fails, I'd fully intend to introduce it again next term. If it fails in amendment form there, I might consider trying it just as a bill. It's not a constitutional guarantee, but at least its something.

Hate crime that's an area to look into, but that's really more of a provincial level issue according to the constitution. We can campaign for it, but I think the local governments are going to have to be the ones to act. Still, a strong national campaign can have a powerful impact.

EBA: The PoL can offer you a few things they can't. First off, we have a track record of success. We've pushed through a lot of legislation to help business in Eutopia. So far they only have campaign rhetoric and promises.

Secondly, we favor tax cuts, not a flat tax reform. I can't commit to a number, as I haven't seen the latest forecasts, but responsible tax cuts are a large part of the PoL's platform. Not only for business, but for wage earners. And that creates more disposable income to be spent.

Lastly, you know the PoL is stable and is a party on the rise. The PEL has made an amazing climb from nothing to a major party, but if they're not careful they're going to have the same problems that blased the ENP apart, namely a base that is too wide and diverse to act in a coherent manner. Already they have everything from right wing libertarians to hard line conservatives and a mix of monarchists and republicans. The ENP has shown, in a rather dramatic fashion, that is a rather volatile mix.

Marshall smiles genially at the EBA representative. "I think the main thing to remember about our tax proposals are that they are committed to reducing the overall burden of tax. And we believe that the primary beneficient of our proposals should rightly be the businesses, the corporations and the charities that work hard to provide jobs for the Eutopian people and provide good value products for our consumers to buy. Therefore although an absolutely proportionate income tax might change the emphasis of taxation away from some groups to others (fairly, in ours minds) the general level of taxation will be falling anyway.

And the important thing to remember about a flat income tax is that it will be a great simplification of the tangled, bureaucratic system we have now. Instead of our businesses having to negotiate their way through the quagmire of exemptions that have built up over the years, we can get for ourselves a clear, simple system that will allow all Eutopians to devote more time to productive activities. I'm sure many of your members will support that.

Our party is also deeply committed to revising this outrageous piece of environmental legislation, the Clean Eutopia Act, that has just been pushed through by the Party of Liberty and its comrades in arms. The targetting of the automotive and steam engine industries is not only rather strange, but also deeply damaging to our manufacturing sector. We, as a party, recognise the importance of protecting the environment, but are far more committed to using the advances in technology and benefits that these will provide to enhance our green credentials without harming business interests than big state legislating.

We also have another idea that I thought I might float to you. We are well aware that it is entrepreneurship that will drive any economic boom that Eutopia rightly deserves. And this business ethic has been too long in coming to Eutopia's schools. That is why we intend to launch a Young Enterprise scheme (funded largely through charitable donations) to nurture business values in our youth and perhaps provide you with a few new members for the future..."

Later in the afternoon O'Sullivan swings by the Armed Forces Serviceman's Fund, firmly shaking the representative's hand. "Good afternoon, may I introduce myself? Marshall O'Sullivan of the Patriotic Eutopians for Liberty. Do you mind if we have a chat? I've got a few things I wanted to run by you.

As you know the election season is coming up and as a new party we're hoping to put up a good struggle against the pacifists, socialists and peaceniks who have dominated this term. They have had a grip on the Assembly, and with Per Zhokhyen's resignation it looks as if their hold is tightening over the executive branch also. That is why I'm so anxious to gain your support for our party. We are committed to protecting and honouring our military in the manner it deserves. We are a proud country and we should be equally proud of our armed forces.

If we are given a mandate we will be pushing for an increase in the amount of grace-and-favour accomodation available for retired and incapacitated service personell as well as the establishment of a new hospital and retirement centre for our war veterans.

We feel it is absolutely necessary that our children are educated in the sacrifices and the honour that our armed forces have given to our country, so the establishment of a new Veterans' Day Holiday, with all the associated fundraising and charity drives for your causes, will be one of our prominent committments. Do you have any interest in what we are proposing?

O'Sullivan then meets with delegates from the Eutopian Firearms Association. "Good to meet with you. May I introduce myself - Marshall O'Sullivan of the PEL. And might I just begin by saying how completely committed to the cause of gun ownership. We are absolutely convinced of the arguments. First that it is an important freedom - a human right - for man to be able to protect himself and his property. It is all very well these city types railing against the gun, but they have never stepped foot in the country, let alone tamed it. Second we see it as an excellent way of putting the fight against crime on the back foot. If the good, hardworking citizen is in possession of the gun, who is going to mug him and rob his house? Who would dare try and rape the determined mother with a pistol in her handbag? We can diminish the size of the state and fight crime at the same time.

We intend to introduce legislation protecting the rights of the ordinary citizen to use force in defending his property - particularly in regards to burglary - and of course we will be defending the constitutional right to bear arms. Do you have any questions for us?"

Berenguerr enters the restaurant, looking rather uncomfortable in an ill-fitting suit. He immediately strides over to a group of ECL representatives sitting at their table.

"Good evening. I thought we ought to share our programme for the coming term with you. At the core of our campaign is improving standards of life for the working man. We want to protect healthcare at all cost, to make it easier for citizens to own homes and to work out where the Eutopian economy ought to be going so we can get there with as little upheaval and as much job creation as possible.

If we have a large enough mandate, I'd also like to look at going back to the old Workers' Bill of Rights, I've floated the idea of setting wage increases for public sector workers at a minimum of the rate of inflation and you've already seen Per Jones' plans on tax reform, I'm sure.

The ECL is important to us, we feel any party of the Left ought to try and maintain good relations with the labour movement. If you have any other policy ideas that you think we ought to be considering, by all means tell me."

- - - - - - - - -

Having finished his conversation with the ECL, Berenguerr strides on past the Soldiers of God and the Eutopian Business Association and approaches the table of the Society for Good Governance.

"Good evening, pers. I'm here to try and explain to you why I think that the ELP is the party in this election most interested in good governance.

Firstly we support a bill establishing standards of behaviour for MGAs and cabinet ministers. It would oblige them to record gifts received, financial interests and the like so as to show up any conflicts of interest. I'm sure you can see the benefits of such a bill as a safety net.

Secondly you have to look upon our performance in the past term. We've remained united on most issues, whilst the parties of the Right in particular have been wounded by defections, retirements and squabbles. And yet we've been persistently viewed as a threat by the other parties, to such an extent that we've been repeatedly crowded out in elections for Speaker. For all this we've continued working with the other parties on the issues we've felt to be important. I think that's clear proof that we take our responsibilities seriously.

Thirdly we appear to be the only party that actually wants to govern. The other parties have libertarian and laissez-faire attitudes, wanting to roll back government or give the federal government's powers to the provinces, which would result only in unequal and confusing provisions across the nation and a system that's much harder to keep an eye on. We at the ELP reject this and stand for a strong, open and efficient central government. I hope you'll find a lot to admire in this."

- - - - - - - - -

Following this, Berenguerr enters into conversation with a representative of the DEE at the bar.

"You will, I hope, have seen the role of the ELP in the debates over the environment. We were the most stalwart opponents of the President's revised bill and whilst I don't think we've made Eutopia into paradise with that bill, I think it's a good start.

You might also look at Reverend Park's vehicle regulations. They deliberately targetted wasteful methods of transport and the fact that the other parties opposed the measure so strenuously speaks volumes about their commitments to the environment.

Furthermore, we feel that fishing has been a mainstay of the Eutopian economy for too long. It's environmental effects far outweigh the benefits it brings to the population and we'd try to regulate it and to begin to retrain fishermen to work in new indsutries that cause less harm to the environment. If you've got any questions, I'm listening."

- - - - - - - - -

Berenguerr moves on to corner a member of the EHA

"Can I talk for a moment? Have you considered which party you'll endorse this election? I'd like to ask you to encourage your members to vote freely.

I and my party members wholeheartedly support your agenda. There is absolutely no reason that a homosexual should be denied any of the rights a heterosexual has. Letting a gay couple adopt isn't the immoral thing, leaving an orphan without a loving family because of ancient taboos is.

Nevertheless, I don't think we're the only party that has your welfare close to its heart. The PoL is every bit as liberal as we are on this issue. I don't think there's any real difference at all between the PoL and ELP on this issue. Nor is there any reason why we can't work together on it. I'm asking you to ask your supporters to vote with their consciences. There is more than one party that supports the rights of Eutopian homosexuals. I'd suggest that the smartest course to take would be to encourage your supporters to consider this issue when they vote, but not this issue alone.

And of course, if you have any questions you want me to answer, I'm listening."

- - - - - - - - -

Next up on Berenguerr's mingling is a group of ECLU notables.

"Good evening. Might I ask what will influence your voting this time round?

The ELP can promise unconditional support for free speech and civil liberties for all men and women. We're absolutely committed to democracy. We're not the ones who mention General Levarge in our manifesto.

The party has private disagreements over economic issues, but on social issues, we're absolutely united in support of the freedom of every Eutopian to say what the like, do what they like, when they like, provided it doesn't harm another. Would you like to hear anything more specific?"

- - - - - - - - -

It's getting late by now as Berenguerr approaches a group of retired servicemen representing the AFSF.

"Good evening. I know you'll have been approached by others stressing their conviction that a strong and large military is needed. I'm not going to do that. I think with the New Bengal situation we obviously need a defence force, but we're not going to be able to intimidate the Tilapians with that, even if that was a good idea. We have no desire to send our troops through a mountain range which Tilapia can easily defend. Our troops are, I'm sure, brave and highly competent, but if we tried an attack, many of them would die. To the ELP, the military is a defensive tool, not an extension of foreign policy.

We favour a gradual drop in troop numbers as time progresses and Eutopia repairs its relations with the international community. But I don't want the defenders of our liberty to just be kicked out on the street. I'd like the cutbacks to be accomplished by not replacing those who are retiring and by voluntary redundancies, the recipients of whom we'd be glad to retrain.

Meantime, because we don't plan to shell out on expensive new toys, we can spend the budget on things like improving the wages of the troops and making sure that every serviceman is able to leave the forces with the skills to take up a career in civvy street.

So how about it? It might not seem a natural step for you to take, but we're not going to kick you all out of a job and we'd much rather make sure your wages increase by at least as much as inflation does than sink our money into an aircraft carrier."