• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mithradates

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Sep 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
I'm using intrigue focus to arrest and banish rich courtiers in order to raise money. Several times tonight I've been successful in doing so, but then I arrested this guy, and there is no option to banish him:

11jaoux.jpg

Notice how the option isn't even there but greyed out so it can tell me why I can't do it; the option simply doesn't exist. I can't figure out why. I know I can't banish people who aren't technically members of my court, but I checked and made sure, he isn't a member of my vassal's court or anything. He's a member of my court specifically, living in my capital. He used to rule the county of Kimak (not in my realm), but lost his land years ago. He has no titles, holds no offices. He's just a landless refugee living in my court with a boatload of cash in his pockets (at the time of the screenshot, he had about 1,200 gold; since then, his brother died and left him money, so he now has 1,400 gold, which I want very badly). I want to banish him and seize that wealth, but I can't, and have no idea why. The game should at least tell me why I can't do it, instead of simply eliminating the option.

So, I've taken an alternative course of letting him languish in my dungeon while I murder all his relatives so that, when he dies decades from now, he'll have no one to leave that money to but me. In the meantime, I've moved on to trying to arrest other people for the purpose of banishing them and seizing their wealth. Then this happened:

205613d.jpg

Once again. The option isn't even greyed out with info telling me why I can't do it; it just doesn't exist. This guy used to be my vassal, but got kicked off his land by my other vassal. Now he lives in my court with nothing to do. He has no titles, holds no offices, nothing. He's just a landless courtier. And for some reason, I cannot banish him.

I don't know what could be causing this. Neither of these people are members of my dynasty or anything (I don't know if you can't banish dynasty members or not; I've never tried). They aren't heirs to anything. Just landless courtiers living in my court with nothing to do. I'm able to banish some of my courtiers, but these two I can't banish. I don't understand why.

At this point I'm getting annoyed. It's not just that I can't banish them; it's that the game won't even tell me why. I have no clue what's causing this. There's no apparent difference between these people whom I can't banish and other people whom I can. And I know it's nothing to do with, say, my religion (Tengri) or form of government (Nomad), because I have successfully banished other courtiers and seized their wealth. There's no info on the CK2 wiki explaining why this might be happening. Any help?

Upvote 0
Need to be for murder or murder attempts to banish:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Banishment

That doesn't make sense, because I've banished other people who didn't commit murder or murder attempts. I arrested them using intrigue focus, by discovering them "telling shocking lies about their rightful liege". The exact same thing I arrested these two characters for. Some people I could banish, others I could not.

Anyway, what it looks like that article says is that the banish option should still be there but banishing for insufficient reasons should cause loss of piety or a tyranny penalty. In my case, my problem isn't facing a penalty of any kind; it's just that the option isn't even there.

Update: I imprisoned this guy the same way I imprisoned the other two, and was able to banish him, as you can see. This seems completely arbitrary to me; there is absolutely nothing that distinguishes this guy from the other two, whom I still can't banish. Also, I didn't imprison this one for murder or attempted murder; I imprisoned him after branding him a sexual deviant using intrigue focus.

27x34o8.jpg

I'm using intrigue focus to arrest and banish rich courtiers in order to raise money. Several times tonight I've been successful in doing so, but then I arrested this guy, and there is no option to banish him:

11jaoux.jpg

Notice how the option isn't even there but greyed out so it can tell me why I can't do it; the option simply doesn't exist. I can't figure out why. I know I can't banish people who aren't technically members of my court, but I checked and made sure, he isn't a member of my vassal's court or anything. He's a member of my court specifically, living in my capital. He used to rule the county of Kimak (not in my realm), but lost his land years ago. He has no titles, holds no offices. He's just a landless refugee living in my court with a boatload of cash in his pockets (at the time of the screenshot, he had about 1,200 gold; since then, his brother died and left him money, so he now has 1,400 gold, which I want very badly). I want to banish him and seize that wealth, but I can't, and have no idea why. The game should at least tell me why I can't do it, instead of simply eliminating the option.

So, I've taken an alternative course of letting him languish in my dungeon while I murder all his relatives so that, when he dies decades from now, he'll have no one to leave that money to but me. In the meantime, I've moved on to trying to arrest other people for the purpose of banishing them and seizing their wealth. Then this happened:

205613d.jpg

Once again. The option isn't even greyed out with info telling me why I can't do it; it just doesn't exist. This guy used to be my vassal, but got kicked off his land by my other vassal. Now he lives in my court with nothing to do. He has no titles, holds no offices, nothing. He's just a landless courtier. And for some reason, I cannot banish him.

I don't know what could be causing this. Neither of these people are members of my dynasty or anything (I don't know if you can't banish dynasty members or not; I've never tried). They aren't heirs to anything. Just landless courtiers living in my court with nothing to do. I'm able to banish some of my courtiers, but these two I can't banish. I don't understand why.

At this point I'm getting annoyed. It's not just that I can't banish them; it's that the game won't even tell me why. I have no clue what's causing this. There's no apparent difference between these people whom I can't banish and other people whom I can. And I know it's nothing to do with, say, my religion (Tengri) or form of government (Nomad), because I have successfully banished other courtiers and seized their wealth. There's no info on the CK2 wiki explaining why this might be happening. Any help?

This seems to be quite an issue. After discussing your topic with the devs, I took the liberty of moving this tread to the bug report thread. Could you please add a save to your thread so that our team can dig into your issue?

I don't have any screen shots to share, but I noticed something similar in a game where I kept the Intrigue focus for decades.

If I used the "Spy On" action to imprison a courtier who had strong claims to a landed title, I was unable to banish them after they had been imprisoned. If they had no claims, I was able to banish them without issue. There was no option for me to mouse over and see why it was blocked, the option just wasn't there at all.

If the person rebelled against me, or plotted to kill my children, I was able to banish them regardless of them having titles. It was only the imprisonment following the "Spy On" action that seemed to be the issue.

Ok, I think I did this right. Never done it before and it took me a while to figure out how to do it lol. But this is the latest save file.

Attachments

• 809_09_26.ck2
    28,9 MB · Views: 2
I don't have any screen shots to share, but I noticed something similar in a game where I kept the Intrigue focus for decades.

If I used the "Spy On" action to imprison a courtier who had strong claims to a landed title, I was unable to banish them after they had been imprisoned. If they had no claims, I was able to banish them without issue. There was no option for me to mouse over and see why it was blocked, the option just wasn't there at all.

If the person rebelled against me, or plotted to kill my children, I was able to banish them regardless of them having titles. It was only the imprisonment following the "Spy On" action that seemed to be the issue.

That's interesting. The two characters that I've been unable to banish both have strong claims to landed titles. But the character that I was able to banish only has weak claims to landed titles.

After looking at the save and doing some additional meddling. It appears that previously landed characters(nomads - maybe others only looked at the nomads) are immune from being banished. Since banishment requirements appear to be hard coded I can't see what the cause is.

A work around for your situation is to have them killed and banishing their heir.

Did the devs figure out how to fix this problem? It appears that only one person has looked at the save file I uploaded. While I could do as Dracko said in some circumstances, it is still a bug. And it's a fairly inconvenient one when playing as a nomad with very low income, where banishment for the purpose of seizing wealth is an almost vital way to raise money.

Heya,

This issue has been fixed internally.

:) Thanks for your report regardless.

- Ewan

I got almost the same problem,when i imprison a landed character,and revoke his land title in order to banish him,he just apears under another of my vassal's,yet he is rotten in my dungeon,the problem with that is i can't banish him since I'm not his direct Liege anymore, sometimes this happens sometimes i banish them with no problem,i just can't know what's wrong