• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It wasn't only the poor testing of the patch but also PI's caving in on a lot of issues to some of the more vocal members of the forums on numerous things like how the game was broken because it wasn't historic enough. (note that THEY determine what is historic and what isn't of course)

I will never blame a devloper for listening to the people that play their game (I know I'm very opinionated today). It's so much better than them listening to some big wig exec that's never played a game in his life and thinks he knows what the "next big thing" is. Please PI continue listening to us. We might not agree on everything but it's better than the alternative.

I have an account on Steam and I've bought many games there, but autopatching and other annoyng things of that platform are the main reason why I bought CK2 on GG. Imho newest Paradox games shouldn't be bought on Steam for the patch system.

Older games with proven patches are ok on Steam, but you should wait at least 2 years after the release.

Thanks you for the replies. Unfortunately I think it will then be the end of CK2 for me.
I played my game till the point where my empire was unstoppable and it was not as much interesting than before, but it does raise some questions (for me at least) :
- Did I lose my save because of some unfortunate uncompatibility between the mod (that I updated to use the 1.05 compatible) and the patch?
- Are the patches not savegames compatible ?

In the end, I don't mind (too much) losing that save, but its saddened my that even if I really like paradox games, I don't see me buying them wondering if I can lose my entire games at any moment.
By the way, what is the GG you talk about?

Seeing that you can run steambought paradox games without steam, in the future, just put a safe copy of patches you like somewhere safe and you will always have it around. that is what I do to make sure I don't run into unexpected issues with a new patch and an old save.

GamersGate. Paradox owns them so I'm sure you'll get a fair bunch of opinions regarding it around here :rolleyes:

Save games are compatible. You lost it because you're high on drugs.

Paradox does not own Gamersgate the two separated several years ago.

I will never blame a devloper for listening to the people that play their game (I know I'm very opinionated today). It's so much better than them listening to some big wig exec that's never played a game in his life and thinks he knows what the "next big thing" is. Please PI continue listening to us. We might not agree on everything but it's better than the alternative.

The problem is that the forum community is rarely representative of the community of players. The vast majority of people who buy a game will never go on the forums unless they need tech support (and maybe not even then). So when you get small minority that looks big due to their non stop spamming in every thread it can lead developers to change the way the game is laid out. Look at how the game was on release to now in 1.05c. Already major changes in how people are able to play the game. Many of the things that allowed for conquest have been toned down or removed. Not saying that balancing wasn't called for but I find it hard to believe that the majority of gamers wanted to slow things down as much as PI has.

It wasn't only the poor testing of the patch but also PI's caving in on a lot of issues to some of the more vocal members of the forums on numerous things like how the game was broken because it wasn't historic enough. (note that THEY determine what is historic and what isn't of course)

Erm, how so? This patch makes the game less historical, what with adding new, fictional kingdoms and all.

Great, this is a great use of resources for them. Breaking a working system because old-timey hipster PI apologists with 3 games prefer back-in-the-day game versions. Are you really so entitled you want a different company altogether to fix PI's problems with its patches?

...What are you talking about?

The problem is that the forum community is rarely representative of the community of players. The vast majority of people who buy a game will never go on the forums unless they need tech support (and maybe not even then). So when you get small minority that looks big due to their non stop spamming in every thread it can lead developers to change the way the game is laid out. Look at how the game was on release to now in 1.05c. Already major changes in how people are able to play the game. Many of the things that allowed for conquest have been toned down or removed. Not saying that balancing wasn't called for but I find it hard to believe that the majority of gamers wanted to slow things down as much as PI has.

some refer to it as the 1% rule

Do you guys not get the irony of the most vocal posters complaining about Paradox caving in to the most vocal posters?

They're doing a great job updating and refining the game, except for the terrible bugs in each patch that take several versions to correct. Adding new titular kingdoms, drift, and adjusting the rules a bit has been overall fantastic. The folks who post a lot play a lot, and they tend to notice things that don't work as well as they should because they really know the games' mechanics. But the devs know their game and work hard to get it right according to them, not the community -- although if things work out they'll be the same thing. I like the game so I'm vocal about the things that aren't working well in my opinion, most of which will never be changed I'm sure, but I can still recognize what a fantastic job these guys are doing (except for the bugs -- ugh, please test a little more before release, please!)

Thanks Paradox.