• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me the game is still much too slow to be anywhere near playable. Sure I have played up to turn 100, but it hasn't been a very enjoyable experience. Not when I compare it to SOTS1.

I have serious doubts that this'll be dealt with in the coming two patches until they are "feature complete". It doesn't matter how many features are in for me, if I have to play the game windowed to browse while playing.

You do realize that the game is one-two patches away ffrom feature complete and probably a couple of week after that from being "all cleared" don't you?

????

Lots of stuff not working. Combat, production queues, GUI, AI weakness.
Having some of the buttons on the GUI finally work or put in place doesn't mean the functionality behind the button is any good. (I'm thinking of Rimmers "Guilt Plated 'Start' button for Red Dwarf - that Kryton points out would be useless without hundreds of miles of cables and circuit boards and what not to actually make it do what it's supposed to do).

Adding features as a "tick box" isn't really what I'm looking for.
But a post below yours sort of clear up why they are bothering.... Expansions.

I wasn't doom and gloom, I was just positing the query "What's in it for the devs now the game is selling virtually zero - and what it does sell is $3 a pop"?
The answer is cleary "expansions" - Manyana Manyana
Hopefully that's good news for them and us in more ways than one. :D

Scritty

I wonder if I made such a colossal screw up if I'd have the stones to admit it. They sure didn't. And the reason that so many are *still* angry is their failure to own their betrayal of us customers & fans. They're working hard to make it right - but you cannot undo the mess they've made. You just can't. All you really can do is honestly apologize and make it right. They're doing 1/2 of that. It's debatable in my mind as to which is the harder half - probably equal.

But hopefully they'll somehow manage to go on to do their first expansion for Sots ][. Sots original release was pretty primitive. It was really Sots Born of Blood (their first expansion) where Sots became pretty awesome. The game mechanics and user-interface bugs had just really been nailed down & fixed before they went to BoB. But BoB considerably raised the bar, on many levels, and showed what Sots could really be: pure awesome.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic that Sots ][ will get it's first expansion, and that by the time it comes out the base game will be mostly a pleasure to play: bugs fixed, GUI sorted out into a fairly-user-friendly instead of prickly affair.

Here's to hoping! :D

I try to bury it down and numb it with ice....the sting that I bought the game at full price, the next day it drops to $10.

I wonder if I made such a colossal screw up if I'd have the stones to admit it. They sure didn't. And the reason that so many are *still* angry is their failure to own their betrayal of us customers & fans. They're working hard to make it right - but you cannot undo the mess they've made. You just can't. All you really can do is honestly apologize and make it right. They're doing 1/2 of that. It's debatable in my mind as to which is the harder half - probably equal.

Yea, they kinda already admitted they screwed up, in November.

Mecron said:
Welcome to the perfect storm of cock up made up of 40% Murphy's Law, 30% Chaos, 20% Overambition and 10% wishful thinking. And you have our deepest regrets for what it is worth as none of this was part of the plan.
So lets set this straight here. When you are dealing with SotS2 this weekend and wondering quite rightly "Who is to blame for this?!!" The answer is me. NOT Paradox...NOT Steam and certainly NOT my team. All of those forces have been exemplary in helping deal with a bad situation. When it comes to who should be at the end of anyone's fingerpoint, it's just plain ol' me.

I have just bought the game today, seeing as the price drops to 10 bucks and I love the first game with all of its expansions (and the fiasco this game created when it first came out)

I know that there is the patch coming out today, and there are lots of patches came out in the past, but I couldn't even start the game! (the screen just stop at Paradox+Ceberos with black background for 10 mins so I forced to shut it down). And I couldn't start it with full-screen option either (I tried to stick and un-stick the window option in the game option, but nothing happened). So I must ask, is the game playable now (as in you could play it for 100 hours without any problems) (in case I can start the game)

Thanks

@Agent.nihilist - you and I will never agree on this point.

To me it's equivalent to "I shot your mother in cold blood but I'm going to apologize for being late to your birthday party (due to being at my arraignment)"

The apology is pure lies. The stated reasons are pure BS. You cannot possibly be 5+ months behind schedule and not know it. You cannot possibly release what they did and not expect everyone to be righteously PO'd. They lied about the state of things, they lied after they released it, and then they made a mockery of an attempt to pretend to apologize for it.

Hence 5+ months later there are still angry, betrayed, antagonistic folks wondering wtf happened (and of course there has never been anything resembling an honest answer to *that* question).

Please someone try to get in touch with Caste to ask him to give us a ROUGH ESTIMATE without ANY commitment on their part on WHEN the 1.0 can PRESUMABLY be released.

@Agent.nihilist - you and I will never agree on this point.

To me it's equivalent to "I shot your mother in cold blood but I'm going to apologize for being late to your birthday party (due to being at my arraignment)"

The apology is pure lies. The stated reasons are pure BS. You cannot possibly be 5+ months behind schedule and not know it. You cannot possibly release what they did and not expect everyone to be righteously PO'd. They lied about the state of things, they lied after they released it, and then they made a mockery of an attempt to pretend to apologize for it.

Hence 5+ months later there are still angry, betrayed, antagonistic folks wondering wtf happened (and of course there has never been anything resembling an honest answer to *that* question).

Exactly. That apology is a joke because it is an apology for releasing a game that needs a few weeks or a month or two more or polish. While in fact the game was barely even alpha. It certainly wasn't ready for beta testing. Hell 40% of the game wasn't even there yet.

And I think with time the excuse of "oh its been harder to pull together these individually coded systems and make them work without bugs" has been shown to be utter BS. There haven't been great leaps forward. They are coding these elements from near scratch. Its not like "oh now we slapped in this completed module and the game has 10 new bugs but you have a fully featured "diplomacy"". No it has been "Here is the barest of bare bones of what diplomacy should or could be, please don't notice we coded this just last week".

There is a huge difference between "I let you down and this isn't going to be what you expected, but its still great" (which is the apology that was made). And "We did not come close to finishing the project and you are free to participate in a paid alpha if you so choose" (which is what would have been actually honest).

You might say that announcing the second thing would kill the studio, but frankly I think it was dead either way so why not be up front with your customers? They took the money instead (and that is their prerogative if they choose to do so), but they don't then get to claim points for being honest because they were only the barest minimum of honest required of them by events (after clearly getting caught in lies several times).

This morning I started the game, 10" to load the research screen and 5" to go back to the main starmap.
Selecting a mission (right click) on a planet, enter the new screen and hit commit. You hear the "ting" but after 3 seconds nothing happens and you click again.
Believe me I can't report on the turn processing time, I just escaped (3" to load the button interface to quit) and back to 10.000 games that I never had a single CTD with. This time I didn't play a single turn of SOTS2, about 1 month after last try.

The game is so lagged you start doubting about your mouse button working properly. Is the mouse broken?
No, it's just the game.

...and yet here is a sample of my game play, I've completed 40ish turns in less then 1 hour. Glad I don't have your computer. Of course I'm not playing huge maps with 8 players and if you aren't....I'm very glad I don't have your computer.

I'm playing on the small 4 player disc map btw, though I've also played on others, up to the SotSverse map, which on my rig is a bit slower (roughly 25ish turns in an hour), so I don't play the big maps much yet.

Btw, this is my rig:

Wonder how my not very optimal system runs the game so well and yours doesn't?

That is of course your opinion, but it is not fact for most people, they can play and enjoy playing it. So if it's not your computer, or drivers or other software running in background etc, then it must be you. Since you are unwilling to look for any other possible answers, I fear that even once the all clear is given you will continue to suffer the same issues.

But if what you say is true (it's not) then how come I and many others can play? I mean for your argument to be true, it would be true for all, not just you and a few other apparently unfortunates, and since you feel no need or desire to figure out what could be causing the issues you have and do not want to address them at all then...

My advice, move on with life and pursue something that gives you joy and satisfaction and hope nothing else in your system or yourself interferes with that pursuit. This is after all a game, and ment to entertain, if it does not and sounds like it will not no matter what for you, then why cause yourself so much disharmony?

But if what you say is true (it's not) then how come I and many others can play? I mean for your argument to be true, it would be true for all, not just you and a few other apparently unfortunates, and since you feel no need or desire to figure out what could be causing the issues you have and do not want to address them at all then...

Sorry but... you are aware that PCs are what they are yes? :p

You can't just point at one list of specs that work fine and go "Anything better will run fine, cus it's better!!!"... there are all manner of problem factors that can be introduced, ranging from newer hardware capabilities ending up being poorly utilised by the software in question and giving reduced performance (Going back a few years, but multi-core processors used to often offer reduced performance by some games due to poor utilisation), to all kinds of extra software, drivers and other OS factors that can throw wrenches into things for example if someone is forcing graphical settings through GPU software like ATIs Catalyst and the like which is very often a cause for reported performance issues where people think just because they force 18x AA on Crysis using it all other games will also be fine with it being forced.

Saying that GShock is out right wrong just because 'you and others' are fine and everything adheres to 'You and others' is being very self-centric.

For what it's worth, SotS2 really isn't optimised all that well.... in terms of interface performance it's almost like they made the entire thing using Unity3Ds resource hog of a POS UnityGUI system in that even clicking on a star to display a list of planets and fleets appears to involve a sufficient amount of work behind it (Perhaps for some reason clicking a star loads everything tied to it rather than just what's needed, for example) . :p

And the fact that until recently it was easily possible to replicate CTDs problems from exceeding declared array sizes just raises more questions on how much attention was put on optimisation and clean code, and how much was put on just moving forward feature wise.

Whilst this is purely just speculation on my part now, the use of SQLite has made me wonder at times what it's being used for and if some of the performance issues are being caused by utilising something that at face value sounds useful but has with it limitations that will drag things down overall because SQLite isn't all it's cracked up to be and has limited practical application in some areas.

Last edited:
Thing thing I don't get is that everyone knows the game released unfinished, It's been pretty apparent for 5 months now. The devs and publisher admitted it wasn't ready, going so far as to say it's release was a "turnip" or a "disaster". Both parties have promised to see it through and make it the game we should have had at launch.

Now 5 months later it still isn't done yet, something understandably frustrating. However... has the company stopped working on it? no they released a patch and hotfix this week. Have they been lazy and barely used any resources to work on it? No again, there has been over 30 patches for the game, or an avg 8 a month over the past 5 months.

So its being actively worked on, the houses involved are committed to finishing it, what more do you want? Of course the answer is a working game, but guess what? That takes time. Honestly if you are stilling railing on about that, then you really should step away from the whole thing. You are making fools out of yourselves by not accepting reality, and annoying everyone that actually wants to see the game finished. We have moved on, accepted how things are and are looking forwards to new things, or other things. Same thing goes with the apology, those not willing to accept it need to grow up or leave. They apologized and gave an opportunity to get out, if you didn't take it then you only have yourselves to blame. You are never ever going to get what you want, accept that and move on. If that means abandoning the game and losing $40, then fine, I don't think anyone wants someone with that attitude here anyways.
If you want the game done, but can't accept how things are, that's fine too. Just don't tell us about it, we don't care, accept the reality of how things are, or leave.

Edit: @Tikigit, There is a difference between telling people something is wrong, and complaining about it. If he simply was giving observations about issues with the game that would be fine, but since he insists that the game is trash because of all the issues he has with it, that it must be broken for everyone(or most) else; there is an issue. I for one, also really don't want to hear it from someone that has submitted a total of 2 bug reports. Look, if you are having severe issues, and most others are telling you they don't have the same issues, or don't have issues to the same degree, then submit a freaking report. If you don't, your issues won't get better. I have no respect for people that won't take any steps to correct things they complain about.

Last edited:
I agree to a point Tikigit and even suggest that looking into other means for what could be causing his issues would be worthy of his time. He appears to disagree with it and flat out says it's not his computer or anything else, and MUST be the game after a VERY limited time with said game.

My rig for example is not optimum or even close to "anything" better, yet I appear to have none or little issues when compared to said "better" systems.

Here is an example:
A player complained recently that game kept crapping out on him because his video driver kept resetting. It took me a while but eventually we found out the following:
He was running a program (audio program) in background which had known flash issues and was also running his system with 24bit sound instead of 16-bit/44Hz etc. That helped some, but didn't fully fix his issue.
Then we found out he was O/C, but didn't seem to matter
Then we found out he was running with dual monitors, if he only used one monitor on his graphics card and the other on the dedicated motherboard chipset (ick) then it appears his video driver reset vanished.

Until he did that he was CONVINCED it was SoTS and not his driver or hardware etc. Now I've not been able to see if he is still error free regarding his driver issue, however when last I spoke to him he had played for several hours error free which was both a blessing and something he had not experienced until then.

If you give up and do not even try to find out if there might be "other factors", then what else is there to do but move on with life?

What I'm saying GShock is wrong about is stating that the game is at fault or bad because HE is having issues and that so is everyone else, he is wrong in that regards. It's a blanket and erroneous statement.

If his statement were true EVERYONE would be having his issues and they aren't. Some are, and without knowing his system specs (because he's never given them that I recall), no one can help him and he refuses to try.

Personally, I think that the biggest issues for some users appear to be Realtek sound chipset/drivers, Older SB Prodigy Sound cards and drivers, Newer nVidia drivers especially on Multiple monitors and cards and whatever background softwares they have running in background thinking they aren't any big deal. This is my rig:

Explain to me why I've not had one CTD (since Nov), game stopping error (since Nov) or slowdown yet on that rig playing SoTS 2? Note that since the most recent patch/hotfix, I've played 47.1 hours, as several different factions: Humanx2 , Hiverx2, Morrigi, and Zuul (granted the Zuul game hasn't been a long one yet, only 2 or so hours, been playing the others mostly.) If the game were as bad as GShock and the few others like him have said, then why haven't I seen even one of their issues? I mean I should see something like they do. The worse I've seen is misspellings, to many """"(quotes), some white icons in tech tree (which I think is an indicator of tech you might have if something else is researched), truncated text in some places, gates unassailable unless enemy ships present, minor errors on the after battle reports (typically one extra ship reported as present for each side) and other minor and trivial issues that do not prevent or impair gameplay. Oh and one other minor (annoying granted) is the inability to adjust the starting worlds for factions (I typically like to give the AI 9 worlds to start with and me 3 and I can't this patch). These I can attribute to the game. However I do not see the slowdowns or CTD's or other issues reported by GShock, but I run a pretty clean and well managed computer and if you look at my computer stats above, it's really not top of the line. Also, I am not the only one, many have weaker and many have stronger systems then my own, and experience similar game play as I do.

Please note I am not denying that the game has issues, I read the tech forums daily both here and in the tech forums at Kerberos. I know there are some issues, I'm glad and fortunate that I've got a system that doesn't get them, but then the ones I track are more unusual or or obscure (for the most part) then common. The VAST majority of those are fixed with hotfixes, there are a few stubborn ones (which is true for all programs, ever seen the "bug" list just for windows 7 alone? hehe). However, someone who has admitted to having less then 15 hours with the game and typically spends no more then 30minutes with it at any one sitting...and claiming game is non-functional is like the blind man trying to convince me that that there elephant trunk is a tree. ;) Though he has admitted I think to getting to turn 150 at least once, however he's not been able to get past turn 4 for a few months now and won't try...is well, wasting his time. I know that there are HUNDREDS (if not thousands, though I only know of hundreds personally) who have in excess of 100 hours play time with SOTS 2, and a great number of those have 2-300 plus hours, and one apparently no life (hehe) individual had over 700 hours (and that was last month) play time, so who knows what he has now? :wacko:. So who do I believe is giving the more complete (and accurate) picture...hmmm?

Last edited:
I run a very clean system and use Enditall2 to terminate useless programs from running in the background...

If there had been one of these stupid issues you brought as example, I would have solved it myself. Unfortunately, if I take Shogun2 in comparison I wouldn't say that game has issues and nobody can say it's not a HUGE load on a computer with those fancy graphics.
Never had a CTD so, it's not my rig, it's Mecron's code.

I came to the conclusion that those who have not experienced problems in SOTS2, at least lately with the past 2 hotfixes, likely all have the same machine type/specs used for the internal tests. It happens when you DON'T have a QA Stress team, Shadow. :)

In Italy we would say those players were "born with the shirt".
Funny thing is that they could have problems with their rigs in games I have no problems with mine.

Patience what can I say... it's a quantum world. :)

Gee I wonder if the issues are are having are because the game isn't done, and you don't listen?
Seriously here, repeat after me.

The game is not done,
It will not work right until its done.
If I can't handle it not being done, I won't play it.
I will go play skiball instead.

Last edited: