• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why not just invade & annex all the east african nations and build an army there, annex the mamlukes and press forward to unite the provinces?

Ok maybe annexing the mamlukes wouldn't be too easy but still =S.
Well they are wrong religion and wrong culture and they're very poor meaning I cant tech up, also Mameluks are still DoF so I cant attack Swahili until Castille and Mameluks fight it out ... and even then I have to wait until Jalayrids declare war on them cause Mameluks are posibly the most powerful nation in my game and Im sure Castille wouldnt have won this last war if the mameluk ruler didnt die and Jalayrids didnt declare war

Yay. Halfway into space there. I forgot the stats of your ruler, but your sliders are OK for westernisation, right?
Yes, but I have a feeling that my current ruler is not dying soon ...

Chapter 27: 1560-1572

To ensure that omani troops can keep up with Portugal, the medieval strategies were replaced by new ones and new formations were implemented, the army now used the musket as its main weapon instead of outdated medieval weapons, this was seen as the first step towards modernization

eu31u.jpg

Barakat continued to give peasants and slaves a little more rights to ensure they remain loyal to Oman, slaves' and peasants' sons were now allowed to attend mosques to learn arabic language as well as basic math, science, literature and quran
Naturally, these laws would provide Oman with more intellectuals and scientists

eu32p.jpg

The first canal in Oman was built in Muscat

eu33u.jpg

The foolish Najd joined Baluchistan in a war that couldnt be won against Vijayanagara and lost Bahrain as a result ... Baluchistan was forced to cede Hormuz and Socotra which made Oman's trade harder as Vijayanagara seems to be trying to capture strategically important areas around Oman

eu34s.jpg

eu37.jpg

Omg

eu35.jpg

In your face EU3 !!!

eu36.jpg

Th state of asia after Ming inherited a Rajputana that it can not hold for too long

eu38g.jpg

By 1517, omani traders could reach Lisbon which had a large center of trade filled with goods from the new world, the omani traders were fascinated by this and insisted that Barakat should aid them to get there

eu39.jpg

In 1572 Barakat became weirdly silly and soon it was clear that he can not rule Oman for the meantime, it seems that ruling an eventful nation for decades was too much for his feeble mind

eu310e.jpg

After staying away from those confusing papers in his throne room's table, Barakat healed swiftly and continued to rule but with help from his son, one of his first decisions after he retook power was to allow peasants to choose who they want to work under and they could negotiate how much they will be paid

eu311v.jpg

Chapter 28: 1574-1577

Barakat had sent some scholars to Portugal who came back to Oman with new discoveries, most of it was of little or no use to Oman, Barakat liked the western european style fortresses and castle wars however and ordered the scholars to create a plan for future castles

eu31b.jpg

News reached Oman from far away that the former HRE, Bohemia, had fully collapsed; this didnt affect Oman at all but it surely has a big effect on most european countries, Milan, the new emperor, had taken a colonization route and it seems that Milan and Oman will be neighbours in a century

eu32k.jpg

The population was unhappy with the swift changes of policies and the route Barakat was taking, he didnt care much about this because he saw his people as most (if not all) other peoples of the world, illiterate, dumb, and have no idea about whats the best for them

eu33p.jpg

Barakat smiled when he heard that Baluchistan, who saw itself as the frontier of sunni islam in the east, had become shi'ite and a friend of Oman, meanwhile, Persia who was ruled by a shi'ite theocracy had become a sunni one and became hostile to Oman, triple irony ?

eu34p.jpg

eu35x.jpg

In 1576, Omani merchants adopted the theory of "monopoly" that Portuguese and Russian merhcnats used, this would bring Oman even greater wealth from its large trade and would also spread its name beyond its borders, Barakat and omanis had that dream that all humans and their countries seek to accomplish.... canning into space

eu36n.jpg

Sadly for Barakat, he couldnt live much beyond that, his last words were "Will I see Oman from up there?" his heir Sayf responded: "I will make sure that you like what you will see".
Not much is known about Barakat's personality, he was a shy person and he preferred to stay in his palace for the most of his life, Sayf was a more open person and while he was a heir he reserved one day each week for walking in the streets of Muscat and asking the people about their opinions, Sayf also had the dream of restoring arabs to the level of power they held in the past decades and he planned to do so with a scientific revoloution ...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8289/eu37.jpg

At the same day he was crowned Sultan of Oman, Muscat and Swahili, he talked to the people about the past glories of the arabs and how he plans to restore all of that... his speech was met very well by the intellectuals who waved different flags bearing the crescent with the sentence "لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله" and "عاش سيف الاسلام محيي الامة" meaning "Long live the sword of islam, the reviver of the nation!" (the name Sayf means sword).

However, intellectuals were only a small portion ... ignorance had controlled the minds of the people, they called him a heathen and an enemy of islam, Sayf was shocked... he did not understand why his people were so stupid... where did he go wrong? is being a powerful nation a bad thing ? ... he walked to his palace with all these questions storming in his head.
He now wanted to cancel this whole modernization thing, he didnt care about the intellectuals who were bowing infront of him begging him to think deeply about it.

He insisted that its a bad idea for some unkown reason ... He was confused and felt disappointed as he didnt know what to do exactly ... while he was leaving the throne room to go to his bed, he saw the Imam of the palace, he expected him to denounce the decision and lowered his head to look at the floor as people usually do when they pass by an Imam, the Imam paused infront of the sultan for a while and stared at him...
"I have cancelled the decision. Oman will continue its isolation as it had throughout history" Said Sayf, then he continued walking towards his room.
"I was under the impression that Allah had tasked you with saving this nation from the plague of ignorance. seems I was wrong, your will is too weak for that" Said the Imam as Sayf passed by him.
Sayf paused, "These people do not understand their religion, their human nature tells them that they must resist any new ideas simply because it is, and now they have religion as an excuse eventhough Islam supports new ideas and science" The Imam continued.

After a long discussion between the two, Sayf was now more determined than ever to begin the modernization, there was nothing that could stop him from doing that now

eu38n.jpg

eu312x.jpg

Sadly for Barakat, he couldnt live much beyond that, his last words were "Will I see Oman from up there?" his heir Sayf responded: "I will make sure that you like what you will see"...

At the same day he was crowned Sultan of Oman, Muscat and Swahili, he talked to the people about the past glories of the arabs and how he plans to restore all of that...

After a long discussion between the two, Sayf was now more determined than ever to begin the modernization, there was nothing that could stop him from doing that now

I like your narrative.

And I hope that Sayf survives long enough to get all westernisations and troop modernisation through, just try to stay out of wars for a while...

Also, Germany is a mess.

What modification are you using for this AAR, if I may ask?

Barakat and omanis had that dream that all humans and their countries seek to accomplish.... canning into space
Has it anything to do with food industry? :p A chance for a Milanese-Omani border? That would be out of the ordinary. Good luck with westernisation, hopefully it won't be too turbulent.

I like your narrative.

And I hope that Sayf survives long enough to get all westernisations and troop modernisation through, just try to stay out of wars for a while...

Also, Germany is a mess.

Really? thanks !

Sayf will hopefully last long enough to get some westernization in but we'll see what happens...

Its going to be a pain ..

What modification are you using for this AAR, if I may ask?

None

Has it anything to do with food industry? :p

Hehe good one :)

A chance for a Milanese-Omani border? That would be out of the ordinary. Good luck with westernisation, hopefully it won't be too turbulent.

Im going to need that luck to survive the coming storm

Chapter 29: 1578-1581

As a part of the reforms, Sayf ordered a complete map of europe from Novgorod in arabic, this led to the discovery of the rest of scandinavia which Oman knew little about, Sayf also ordered to create a sort of an early newspaper which served the royal court, the merchants in novgorod would write a simplified book about whats currently happening in europe and send it to the sultan at the end of the year, this kept Oman informed of the new technological advances and events in europe

eu313r.jpg

Sayf felt that his army lacked good command, war with Portugal was a big possibility and Portugal will be a long term rival of Oman in the area, Oman was no match for the large army and good training of the portuguese army, unwilling to face the same fate as Kongo and Mutapa Sayf ordered to build a Barracks in Muscat which would serve as a military academy and a training site for soldiers, in this barracks new military doctrines would be researched to create a capable army and a good command

eu314c.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the people attacked these modernization efforts with no other reason but being not accustomed to these changes, Sayf tried to convince them but to no avail, however this didnt depress him, he felt that he was like a prophet trying to convince people to follow the true way, but they dont accept because they are simply unwilling to eventhough its for their best

eu315.jpg

The bedouins knew that they will never get a better chance to restore their old privileges, their messengers raced to the court demanding their privileges to be restored in exchange for not opposing the sultan's reforms, the sultan had no other option but to accept, will this put an end to their greed ?

eu316.jpg

However, all of that didnt anger Sayf as much as this did
eu317.jpg

He was turned down by the people his ancestors had struggled to defend--the peasants refuse the reforms ! after all the attempts to make them free people ! Sayf felt that the peasants have betrayed him, however he didnt lose hope, he had to do his duty as a sultan and give his people and the house of Nabhan glory and honour !

Merchants also resisted the modernization but they did so in a civillized manner, 5 merchants were allowed to enter the court and speak with the sultan who managed to convince them that these reforms will give Oman prestige that will give the omani merchants more power over other merchants and with the modern trading techniques they will be able to gain even more wealth

eu318.jpg

The reforms had a quick effect on Malindi; New medicines were made from local plants and herbs leading to a sharp decrease in the number of deathes and a larger population growth

eu319.jpg

After a short trip to Portugal, Sayf came back with only one thing in mind: fully modernizing Oman.
Eventhough his advisors and the imam of the court warned him about the negative effects of this and asked him to modernize the army first, he was unwilling to listen to them and decided to pass big reforms, his reckless actions would bring Oman large troubles ...

eu320.jpg

eu321.jpg

Sayf is a persistent chap, isn't he? I wonder what's in store for him, as you've hinted at some calamities heading his way. Btw, how do you compare with Europe in the tech race?

Not good, Portugal is level 21 in land and naval tech and Im 16 in land and 11 (not sure) in naval

I just thought I'd say, I find this AAR amazing.

Thank you very much for reading :) hope you like future updates

-----------------------------------

Sorry for being late guys but my PC crashed while playing EU3 and windows had to be reinstalled, luckily the screenshots are still there and so is the savegame

Chapter 30:1581-1584

The feeble-minded peasants would believe anything the enemies of the sultan says as they had no idea about what modernization is, Sayf tried to convince them that they'll wish they had accepted the modernization when Portuguese troops come and cut their ears off but his speech didnt convince many of them and they continued their anti-modernization campaign

eu322t.jpg

Worried that some neighbours might exploit this chance, Sayf quickly made an alliance with Baluchistan, eventhough it was a shadow of her former self, it could provide aid against Mamelukes and Vijayanagara, Baluchistan also needed a powerful ally and they understood that if Oman's modernization was successful, then it will be for the best of Baluchistan and Oman

eu323o.jpg

Some warlords went too far and formed a "reactionary" alliance with some nobles of rival houses, they demanded that the sultan cancels the modernization attempt or else they'll force him into doing it, the sultan was surprised by their stupidity and ordered his army to scare off their army of farmers and fishermen, then he visited the battlefeild himself and forced the defeated nobles to wash his clothes for a year

eu324.jpg

eu326.jpg

As if that was not enough, people in Qawasim and Mogadishu region began to embrace sunni islam, naturally this wouldnt be a problem for the innovative Oman but the warlords and tribe leaders saw this as a very good chance to create unrest for the "heretical" Oman, Sayf was still unwilling to cancel the modernization, he was sure his supporters are more than his enemies but they just dont show up as often

eu325.jpg

eu329y.jpg

However his positive thinking was damaged when even more provinces demanded more autonomy as they felt (and hoped) that Oman will collapse, causing more headache for the young Sayf, he now wished he had modernized the army first and he eventhough he still can its risky when his throne is in danger, he thought things will calm down if he gave the idiots what they want (more decenteralization) but this meant that he wont be able to reform the army soon

eu327.jpg

eu328w.jpg

The confused and tired Sayf was deeply angered when he discovered that his own advisor was giving information to the nobles and tribe leaders who opposed his modernization efforts, these news came at the same time Sayf was facing a difficult situation, he was annoyed to the point that he grabbed a musket and shot Makhzum Sakr before the trial, stopping revolts for the remainder of the year as the reactionary leaders were worried that they would face the same fate from the angry sultan

eu330.jpg

The modernization efforts paid back slowly, Textile manufactories were introduced in Oman and new naval ways were discovered from the Portuguese, Sayf was pleased for the meantime

eu331.jpg

Because the population of Oman calmed down for a while Sayf felt its a good time to regain some of his lost privileges, naturally this would greatly upset the governors who felt worried that Sayf might punish them for what they have done but he couldnt care less as they had no regional armies and the best they can do is bring an army of farmers who will flee when they hear the musket fire

eu332.jpg

However, some people are willing to give up their lives for even the slightest chance to stop the sultan so they can gain power, Sayf promised that he will slice them into pieces and feed them to the fish in Muscat's coast, though Sayf was usually a peaceful person, he simply couldnt tolerate people who make use of the peasant's stupidity to stand in his way and dare to even think about touching Nabhanids throne

eu333a.jpg