• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perkele said:
I was playing as USA, in the No Man's Land -scenario, and the game always crashes during November 1915(at least on 18th-21th). I tried playing it slower or faster, but it has no effect.

Known bug. No solution as yet - thanks. :)

Here is another one:
screenie1.jpg

As you can see, Austria is at war with italy, but since they are allied they aren't at war...also Austria is not at war against Entente. At least I can't attack them(playing as USA).

In this scenario Austria DIDN'T start WWI by declaring war to Serbia, instead the war started in 1915...here's something from the history log:
Code:
1915-04-21 : 5:00 May 22, 1915 : France declared war upon Germany and Italy.

1915-04-21 : 7:00 May 22, 1915 : Germany had Mobilization .

1915-04-21 : 7:00 May 22, 1915 : France had Mobilization .

1915-04-21 : 14:00 May 22, 1915 : Italy went with We shall punish the treacherous empire of Austria-Hungary! in Leaving the Central Powers.

1915-04-21 : 14:00 May 22, 1915 : Italy and Germany declared war upon Austria-Hungary.

Here's the whole history log:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/cherie/history.rar

I think I see the problem here - action_c of Italian event 27002 is without a 'leave_alliance' command, which means that when Italy manufactures its volte-face, it does so without leaving the alliance with Germany, which drags them into a war with Austria-Hungary. Putting in that command should - I think - solve the problem. :)

Zuckergußgebäck said:
Well, I think there is not way of telling the german navy AI to stay in port rather than be destroyed, but then, the complete destruction of the german fleet would be the best way of illustrating that the germans was not capable of major naval operations late in the war.
The problem isn't the utter destruction of both (also the UK's) navy, the problem is that both sides start a massive production of transports and stop the construction of any other kind of naval unit (except maybe some subs).

elbasto said:
Sorry for being so persistent but another "bug" that I've noticed is that thr German and British navy's clash until they are both completely destroyed.

Problematically, no one has managed to get the German and British navies to stay in port for most of the war, which is what would be required for it to be 'realistic'. :)

elbasto said:
The problem is that after sinking every single battle ship, they start producing massive amounts of transports and don't build a single battleship, cruiser, etc. The only important navy's by 1921 are the USN and the IJN.

It's not that they don't build battleships or cruisers, more a case of them spending their resources on infantry divisions, and as transports are relatively cheap, they eventually get produced in great quantities. There's a case for decreasing the proportion of ICs spent on transports in later AI files, though. :)

Another bug with USA found:
I was playing as USA, and my forces had beaten Italy, then the 'italy is defeated' even happened, and after that following events happened:

1917-03-12 : 0:00 April 13, 1917 : Italy had Coup in Italy .
1917-03-12 : 0:00 April 13, 1917 : Coup in Italy happened to us.

This event produced the following:
screenie.jpg

Which means that USA is now governed by Italian military dictatorship. :)

Line 2637, defeat.txt

Use these:

Code:
event = {
country = ITA
    id = 62049
    random = no
    style = 0

name = "Coup in Italy"
    desc = "With Italy's defeat in the war, the elected government has been
 overthrown by a popular coup headed by military strongman, Gabriele
 d'Annunzio, who has vowed to restore Italy to the proud status that she
 once held in the eyes of the world."

trigger = {
	OR = { event = 27811
	event = 27810 }
	}

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1914 }
    offset = 6
    deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1924 }

action_a = { 
        name = "Okay"
        command = { type = headofstate which = 27071 }
        command = { type = headofgovernment which = 27072 }
        command = { type = foreignminister which = 27073 }
        command = { type = armamentminister which = 27074 }
        command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 27075 }
        command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 27076 }
        command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 27077 }
        command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 27078 }
        command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 27079 }
        command = { type = chiefofair which = 27080 }
        command = { type = dissent value = -20 }
        command = { type = alignment which = fascist value = 200 }
        command = { type = sleepevent which = 62050 }
	command = { type = trigger which = 27812 }
    }
}

event = {
country = ITA
    id = 62050
    random = no
    style = 0

name = "Coup in Italy"
    desc = "Revolutionaries have seized control of the government in Rome.
  Communists have overrun the Italian Parliament, forcing the government to
 flee, while setting up a Soviet council in the city.  The red banner flies
 above the Coliseum."

trigger = {
	OR = { event = 27811
	event = 27810 }
	}

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1914 }
    offset = 6
    deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1924 }

action_a = { 
        name = "Okay"
	command = { type = headofstate which = 27021 }
	command = { type = headofgovernment which = 27022 }
	command = { type = foreignminister which = 27023 }
	command = { type = armamentminister which = 27024 }
	command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 27025 }
	command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 27026 }
	command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 27027 }
	command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 27028 }
	command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 27029 }
	command = { type = chiefofair which = 27030 }
	command = { type = dissent value = -20 }
	command = { type = alignment which = communist value = 200 }
        command = { type = sleepevent which = 62049 }
    }
}

Very fun Mod, this TGW.

A few questions regarding some events that might have unforseen consequences;

First;

The Blockade events against Germany late in the war add dissent because after a long blockade the Germans start to starve. But if the Germans choose a Russia first policy and don't get into a war with the British Empire until later in the game (in 1917, in my case), then the blockade might cause dissent immediatly. Wouldn't it be possible to untie the blockade events from the Year and just let the Xth blockade event be the first to cause dissent, whenever it happens?

Also, I don't like the deterministic aspect of that event. What if the Germans have built a huge fleet and defeated the Royal Navy decisively? Then it would be the Britons starving... Any chance of using actual blockading ships as a trigger?

Second;

When France gives up Guyana to Germany, that causes the USA to invoke the Monroe doctrine. All good and well considering the historical bad blood, but suppose that the Germans have been "Good", not invaded Belgium, not waged unrestricted sub warfare etc?

Would the USA really invoke Monroe for a transfer of ownership between two European powers? Apparently France was not seen as a threat... And war over it, given the huge amount of German-Americans that would have screamed bloody murder? I can't see it happening.

The Yogi said:
First;

The Blockade events against Germany late in the war add dissent because after a long blockade the Germans start to starve. But if the Germans choose a Russia first policy and don't get into a war with the British Empire until later in the game (in 1917, in my case), then the blockade might cause dissent immediatly. Wouldn't it be possible to untie the blockade events from the Year and just let the Xth blockade event be the first to cause dissent, whenever it happens?

Also, I don't like the deterministic aspect of that event. What if the Germans have built a huge fleet and defeated the Royal Navy decisively? Then it would be the Britons starving... Any chance of using actual blockading ships as a trigger?

I agree in principle, but unfortunately, there is no trigger condition taking into account the comparative sizes of navies. Therefore, that leaves us with playing around with ownership of territory instead. If, for example, the Germans managed to break through in the west and overrun France and her coastline, then it might be argued that the potency of the Royal Naval blockade would be weakened to an extent that the 'loss of supplies' events are worth negating.

The Yogi said:
Second;

When France gives up Guyana to Germany, that causes the USA to invoke the Monroe doctrine. All good and well considering the historical bad blood, but suppose that the Germans have been "Good", not invaded Belgium, not waged unrestricted sub warfare etc?

Would the USA really invoke Monroe for a transfer of ownership between two European powers? Apparently France was not seen as a threat... And war over it, given the huge amount of German-Americans that would have screamed bloody murder? I can't see it happening.

I tend to think that the United States would make their policy regarding the Caribbean and South America without considering whether the Germans had invaded Belgium or whether they had adopted a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare. True, the United States did not see France as a threat, but I think it would be fair to say that they had a greater fear of Germany, and had demonstrated great resistance to previous exercises of German power in areas perceived to be the United States' spheres of influence - most notably in 1898 in the Philippines during the Spanish-American war when Kaiser Wilhelm II had tried to use a naval squadron to interfere, and in 1902 when war nearly flared up between the United States and Germany.

Thus, I think that the United States would be as protective of its interests in the First World War era with regards to the Monroe Doctrine as it had been before. :)

Allenby said:
I agree in principle, but unfortunately, there is no trigger condition taking into account the comparative sizes of navies. Therefore, that leaves us with playing around with ownership of territory instead. If, for example, the Germans managed to break through in the west and overrun France and her coastline, then it might be argued that the potency of the Royal Naval blockade would be weakened to an extent that the 'loss of supplies' events are worth negating.

I noticed that rubber doesn't have the same importance in TGW as in in vanilla HOI since we have 1:1 conversion rates. The size of the rubber pool is however a rather good indicator of the potency of a blockade, since none of the European countries have any rubber production in their Metropolitan areas. Wouldn't it be possible to have a blockade event for both Britain and Germany (France could feed hereself better, I believe) that triggered if the rubber pool was below say 1000?

Allenby said:
I tend to think that the United States would make their policy regarding the Caribbean and South America without considering whether the Germans had invaded Belgium or whether they had adopted a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare. True, the United States did not see France as a threat, but I think it would be fair to say that they had a greater fear of Germany, and had demonstrated great resistance to previous exercises of German power in areas perceived to be the United States' spheres of influence - most notably in 1898 in the Philippines during the Spanish-American war when Kaiser Wilhelm II had tried to use a naval squadron to interfere, and in 1902 when war nearly flared up between the United States and Germany.

Thus, I think that the United States would be as protective of its interests in the First World War era with regards to the Monroe Doctrine as it had been before. :)

Ah, yes, in the light of that, I would agree. I wasn't aware of the 1902 incident, what was that about?

However, if a US DW over the matter was so predictable, wouldn't the Germans know that and not ask for Guayana in the first place (to avoid the slight of having to give it up in the face of threats) unless they were hellbent on war with the USA?

In any case, I find it strange that if the Germans win a historic victory and defeat France, the end result is a 10% dissent hit - I'd think the people would be ecstatic? If anything, after a long and bloody war I'd expect them to dissent over another war, rather than over the loss of Guayana (in the context of just having gained themselves a respectable colonial Empire).

1902 - something pertaining to the Caribbean I think.

I would be for negating the blockade effects if the Germans have defeated France or have occupied the northern coastline. Rubber is a problem. I considered making it a 0.7 conversion for the colonial empires so it gives them incentive to defend the colonies, but in the end it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

How about the Garrison trigger? Make the blockade event dependant on there being at least a few Entente ships in each of the provinces 504, 592 and 593 (for example).

An event for German blockade of Britain could look like this, for example:

Code:
event = { 
    country = ENG 
    id = 56500
    random = no 
    persistent = yes
    style = 0 

name = "German Navy intercepts food imports" 
    desc = "Through unrestricted U-boot warfare and/or commerce raiding 
surface ships, the German Nayy is strangling imports to our island and 
starvation is a real danger." 
    style = 0 

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1914 }
    offset = 30
    deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1925 }

trigger = {
	OR = {
		AND = {
			garrison = { country = GER province = 473 size = 3 }
			garrison = { country = GER province = 474 size = 5 }
		}
		AND = {
			garrison = { country = GER province = 447 size = 3 }
			garrison = { country = GER province = 448 size = 3 }
			garrison = { country = GER province = 962 size = 6 }
		}
		AND = {
			garrison = { country = GER province = 428 size = 3 }
			garrison = { country = GER province = 429 size = 3 }
			garrison = { country = GER province = 1014 size = 6 }
		}
	}
    }

action_a = { 
        name = "Damned Boches!" 
       	command = { type = dissent  value = 1 } 
	command = { type = supplies  value = -1000 } 
    } 
}

Also, if Germany has defeated Russia and puppeted the Ukraine, the grain imports from there should go a long way in aleviating the hunger in Germany. Historically, this happened to late to have any impact. The same would be true for a puppeted France, I guess.

Last edited:
Allenby said:
Interesting. We shall have to use it then. :)

Arrr, sorry guys. I just tried out that trigger myself, and alas it doesn't work at sea, only on land. So it can't be used in this case, I'm afraid.

Italy DOWS Alliance after being defeated

Hello. I was playing yet another game as Germany. I had defeated Russia and was moving against Italy to force France to fight a two front war. I soundly defeat Italy, occupying it as far south a Naples. I get the Italy is defeated event. Great. France guts its defences along the northern border, I break thru and take Paris. France's defeat seems certain. Then, a defeated Italy DOWs the Alliance powers cutting off the supply lines of my and AH's armies around Marselle, although I doubt that the forces would be destroyed, I probably could reach them b4 that. While this may make sense(a right wing military leader sees our vulnerability[only 6 AH divisions in Italy proper] launches a coup, and then DOWs us) It should be politically impossible. The army, what little is left, is starving, and the ppl have just gone thru the shock of having their country invaided and occupied. I doubt they would have the stomach for renewed conflicts. On a vaguely related note, the Italy peace treaty event never seems to fire, even on games when this doesn't happen.

I have the history log, if no one belives me, but I don't have hosting for it.
Here are the events in the log:

1917-07-21 : 12:00 August 22, 1917 : Italy had Italy has been defeated .

1917-07-21 : 12:00 August 22, 1917 : Italy left the Military Alliance she had with France, British Empire, Ireland, Bhutan, Nepal, Oman, Japan, Greece and Hejaz.

1917-10-22 : 12:00 November 23, 1917 : Italy entered a Military Alliance with France, British Empire, Ireland, Bhutan, Nepal, Oman, Japan, Greece and Hejaz.

1917-10-22 : 14:00 November 23, 1917 : Italy rejected our generous peace offer!

Looks like Italy needs a "Northern Italy to Germany" event rather like the "Northern France to Germany" event that fires when France is defeated.

I would argue for Austrian occupation of Venetia and Lombardia (if AH is still in the war) and Turin, Bologna, Rome occupied by Germany.

I dont know if this is the right forum but here I go. Ive installed 1.05b plus the update from late august yet when I try to open the game it says EXEL FILE NOT FOUND what should I do?