• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The issue is perhaps because the ally I refered to was a vassal

Exactly, and that's a Vassal, not an ally. You don't have an alliance treaty with them. You can't trade with them, you can't see their invisible units.

The concern is not that it can be cast on allied units, rather that it can be cast on melee-only allied units as well.
I had understood you were talking about melee...
As I said, preventing human players from wasting mana doing useless things is a user comfort, not a bug. Devs could also prevent you from building Observatories after you have completed all your research, but you can also be clever enough not to do it.

Besides, as in most of the posts you quoted, you can clearly see that I'm actually asking for some kind of confirmation
Alright but then don't post that in a thread entitled "bug report" but on "I wonder how AoW3 works". There are some real bugs that affect games and really need fixing by devs and it'd be good if they could fix the handful of them that are really critical.

Same for metaphysics, gladis opened a thread about consistency. You are welcome to post metaphysical issues there, since they're clearly not "bugs". Personnally, I think gladis and you push things too far. Searching for all the smallest of smallest of issues is going to make you unhappy and those issues are irrelevant for 99.99% players.

Then, let's keep this thread open to any bug or whatever report that doesn't fall under the "Incorrect or imprecise description" chapter, as the collecting chamber for this forum, if you like. You could then open a special thread only you can write in, to compile, sort, and prioritize "worthwhile" bugs for the devs' eyes. You could take them from here or from whatever other source you have access to (such as MP chats, etc).

Blinded status and flanking

[EDIT]This is not to be mixed with the fact that a blinded unit is never flanked, nor has its 360° threat zone ever reduced, when it's on Guard.[/EDIT]

Context:
- When a unit is flanked, be it by a Melee attack or a Ranged attack, it sustains additional damage and then turns "in the direction" of the attacker so as to not be flanked anymore. The awareness angle, inside of which a unit can't be flanked, is 120° (60° either side of the direction he's facing to).
- Let's call a bisectional, the line that joins the middle of the targeted hex's side to its center. Each hex gets 6 side, hence 6 bisectional directions. Along those peculiar directions, hexes are paved in such a way that they touch each other by their sides.
- In melee, this stands for the 3 hex sides it's facing . At range, this stands for the 120° sector it's facing to, or any hexes comprised between the two bisectional lines that make a 120° angle. That means that if a Ranged attacker is line-up with one of the sides of the targeted hex, the target can turn to face him, as he is on one of those bisectional lines. If he is not lined-up (thus anywhere in the 60° sector delimited by two bisectionals, the target can turn to face the closest bisectional direction, thus having the attackre in his 120° awareness sector.

Blinded units:
- A Blinded unit gets its awareness angle reduced to 0° (or at least less than 2x6° for ranged attacks purpose). On the paper and in the description, that means that it's always flanked if attacked from any direction it's not facing to.
- Of course, the usual mechanics applies, and a blinded attacked unit is entitled to turn towards its attackers.
- In melee, a Blinded unit can be flanked once before it turns towards its attacker.
- At range, a Blinded unit will turnto face the bisectional closest to the attacker.

Issue:
- As the awareness angle is now strictly 0°, a Blinded unit can catch up a Ranged attacker in its awareness sector only if the attacker stands on a hex right on one of the targeted hex's bisectionals. One step asides, and the attacker can flank the target forever if they don't move.
- Let me be clear: the issue is not that Blinded unit are more vulnerable to Ranged attacks than they are to Melee attacks (that would be understandable, after all), it's that Ranged attacks from 6 directions can't flank the same target in a row, whereas all the other directions can. That makes for 6 directions at 2 hex range, 12 at max short range, 54 at max medium range, etc).
- Besides logic, the issue is also that the A.I. can be exploited badly, restraining its movement by means of obstacles and other units.

Possible correction:

- A Blinded unit should be either always flanked by any Ranged attack (that sounds logical, after all);
OR
- A Blinded unit should have a reduced (not 0°) awareness angle, so that it always can face a new threat after turning in its general direction.
The least favorable case being the shortest range (2 hex), we can deduce that the new angle should be 60° (30° on each side), or to be sure, 68°.
Geometrically speaking, a Blinded unit facing a side (a bisectional) would be aware of attackers lined-up with the two nearest diagonal lines.

Screenshot:

(background: http://kaimoisch.com/textures/pavement-hexagonal-2x2-seamless/)

Bottom: targeted (T) non-blinded unit. Bisectionals drawn in blue, delimiting 6 x 120° sectors.
Main: targeted (T) blinded unit.
- bisectionals in blue;
- diagonals in orange;
- all other directions and locations in red.
- A, B melee range
- G short range
- E, C max short range
- D max medium range
- F, H max extreme range

All blue locations allow the Blinded target to face the new threat and not be flanked anymore.
All red (and orange) locations don't allow the target to face the threat. An archer will flank thrice in a row.

Attachments

• aow3_blindedTargetFlanking.jpg
    aow3_blindedTargetFlanking.jpg
    252,5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
[UI] Diplomatic summary lacks a handle button of some sort

Experienced under Steam OS!

Issue:
When there are too many diplomatic alignment modifiers, you can't scroll the list up or down, and thus, you can miss all the upward section of the diplomatic summary.
Does this show also when playing under Windows?

[UI] Main Menu and the new policies

Already reported, I think.

With the latest official patch (2018?), a new information was added about policies, with a new, central button in the Options screen, accessible from the Main Menu.

Issue:
1) Both the button, the header and the text are in English and nowhere to be found in the xml files. Or could someone tell me where?
2) The value for the button is odd: "Not found"
3) As they can't be localized, I'm not even sure that the purpose of such an info is not defeated, as regard to local laws, in cas it's mandatory.

Attachments

• aow3_diploAlignmentBriefing.jpeg
    aow3_diploAlignmentBriefing.jpeg
    74,2 KB · Views: 10
  • aow3_launcherNotFound.jpeg
    aow3_launcherNotFound.jpeg
    118,7 KB · Views: 11
[Tactical][Display Bug] Safeguard and indirect damage

A safeguarded unit can be targeted only if it is not immune to one of the damage types dealt by the attacker, despite the +100% protection bonus it receives from this Peacekeeper's skill.

However, in two cases at least, it can be indirectly attacked, and it seems that the immunities are not checked, or can't be checked, or aren't taken into consideration because other effects can take place.

On the screenshot, you can see:
- a Zephyr Bird randomly targeted by a defense tower, resisting Diseased and suffering the automatic Weakened status.
- a Draconian Flamer standing near a dying Flame Tank.

You can also see the display bug, as if the combat log can't manage a null damage, or isn't provided any damage value, whereas it expected one.

Char de feu = Flame Tank
Enflammeur = Flamer
subit = suffers
a péri = is dead

A question remains, about what is displayed in such cases without Safeguard being applied.

Attachments

• aow3_bugSafeguardString.jpeg
    aow3_bugSafeguardString.jpeg
    260,4 KB · Views: 13
[Tactical][Display Bug?] Attacks paired with Inflict cast >twice< the same effects

At least, that's what I infer from the following case, a Necromancer about to launch a Ghouling Strike on a valid target.

As we know:
- Ghouling Strike both deals damage, and attempts to Inflict Ghoul Curse, a touch ability.
- A 19th level necromancer has a handful of automatic offensive effects on each of its attacks.
- Any touch ability is considered as a melee attack as far as automatic offensive and defensive effects are regarded (e.g. offensive Inflict Scorched or Inflict Despair, defensive Light Aura or Static Shield).

If not a display bug (?), the game seemingly tries and applies the necromancer's offensive effects twice: once because of the melee attack, once because of the subsequent touch abiliy. That doubles the chance of inflicting any stackable effect (and less so for non-stackable effects: X% + (100%-X%)*X%).

Is there any such configuration of a melee/ranged attack paired with an Inflict ability, so that we could further test the case?

Screenshots:
1st one: Tooltip for Necromancer aiming at striking the yeti (benefiting from static shield) with normal melee attack.
2nd one: Tooltip for Necromancer aiming at using Ghouling Strike on same yeti.

Attachments

• aow3_ghoulStrikeTooltip1.jpeg
    aow3_ghoulStrikeTooltip1.jpeg
    310,8 KB · Views: 6
  • aow3_ghoulStrikeTooltip2.jpeg
    aow3_ghoulStrikeTooltip2.jpeg
    310,6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Edward's campaign: Valery: Kill the Traitors quest is given a second time

If the player heads to her ally Gorsmog's area in the first several turns of this level, and then later on enters Svengir's area, the quest Kill the Traitors is given a second time. I'm unsure if this is going to prevent me from completing the level since Valery has already killed one of the traitors, and now I have the second quest instance not showing this completion (shown in the attached image).

Thanks,
Taraka Dark

Attachments

• Kill_the_traitors_quest_given_a_second_time.JPG
    Kill_the_traitors_quest_given_a_second_time.JPG
    203,2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Windows 10: loading/crash issues

Whenever I boot up AoW3 in Windows 10, the client boots to the main start screen without all assets. As examples, the player model is missing some textures (e.g. eyes without a face), and none of the buttons are labeled. The attached screenshot shows an example of the missing assets here. If I choose the center option to Continue a game, the game loads in fine. If I exit out to the title screen afterward, all assets load in.

I'm also having some crash issues that started at the time of this display issue. Sometimes, when I initiate a combat, the screen begins zooming in and fading to indicate a transition to the tactical battle, and this will throw me back to the desktop. I'm also having problems with some of the wraparound to a level, such as the third art transition in a campaign intro sequence failing to load and being stuck in a black screen.

This game has run fine on this Windows 10 PC before, and I updated the Radeon display driver too to see if that might fix the issue (it didn't).

Thanks,
Taraka Dark

Attachments

• WIndows_10_display_issue_loading_game.JPG
    WIndows_10_display_issue_loading_game.JPG
    93,1 KB · Views: 7
[Tactical][Display Bug] Brain Rot not updated real time

When a hero looses CPs, the info is correctly displayed in the combat log, but it looks like it is updated on the top bar only after a few other actions, such as moving (selecting?) another unit. This can only impact the next move of a non watchful, non aware player, though.

On first screenshot, the leader had 13 CPs left prior to be attacked by a Toadstool fey. Though she is said to have lost them in the combat log, one can see that the top bar info is not yet updated. It will when selecting or moving (?) another unit, or any other action deselecting the leader, I guess.

[Tactical][UI] Some flame abilities/effects make loose the pointer

When a unit casts Dwarven Flame Guardian or Draconian Dragon Ancestry on self (either a unit or a hero), the pointer can't be used as usual to click on the tactical map. To regain control of the pointer, you either have to use the "Next Unit" button (on top) or "notifier" (in the lower right corner), or else click a number of time on units or empty hexes.
I wonder if this not due to these abilities being not intended to be cast on self in first purpose: Priest Forge are immune to fire already, Dragon Ancestry on Elders is pretty potent (plus it's stealable and then stacks). Perhaps did these abilities become available on self only at a later stage of the game's development?

In my games, it's a 100% occurence bug.

[Tactical][Hero] Swallowed leaders can still cast spells

Playing with Shadow Realm, my leader was swallowed by a Kraken on the round before, and yet, she could cast Seeker Enchantment on a remaining unit!
I'm really not sure if this is intended, as a Swallowed unit is said to have been "slain" in the combat log, and I wonder if any other effects that depends on the leader to be present (and alive), such as stack effects, keep being active in this case?

[UI][Display Bug] Next Layer buttons

Two small display bug associated with Up and Down Layer buttons under the minimap, at least when no keys are bound to them.

1) Down Layer tooltip is misformed. This isn't related to the string being too long, as in another language, the tooltip field adapts to the string's length.

2) Up Layer tooltip doesn't use NONE@CONTROLS "(none)" as could be eventually expected (I guess that it is used in the keybinding settings, though), and uses instead the generic key NONE@TEXT "None", together with "(" and ")" characters. Perhaps this choice also caused display bug 1). Both key strings are in Interface.xml.

Note that these display bugs are not dependent on the localization, and that "None" is not a hardcoded leftover, as it correctly translated.

Attachments

• aow3_confusionDisplay.jpeg
    aow3_confusionDisplay.jpeg
    190,7 KB · Views: 4
  • aow3_swallowedLeaderCanCastSpells2.jpeg
    aow3_swallowedLeaderCanCastSpells2.jpeg
    203,8 KB · Views: 4
  • aow3_downLayerTooltip.jpeg
    aow3_downLayerTooltip.jpeg
    11,4 KB · Views: 3
  • aow3_upLayerTooltip.jpeg
    aow3_upLayerTooltip.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 3
  • aow3_noneBracketKeyBinding.jpeg
    aow3_noneBracketKeyBinding.jpeg
    83,7 KB · Views: 2
  • aow3_noneGenericProductionPanel.jpeg
    aow3_noneGenericProductionPanel.jpeg
    21,5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I sent a mail regarding some general localization mistakes that's missing in the first name of these heroes. None of them are linked.

Woizek the Protector
Sheila the Spoiled
Nyla the Fierce
Khitan the Raider

These heroes each of them produce an error of missing skill points. Hopefully, they as well can be fixed in a future distant patch
Amok
Yarati
Falenas
Kwepa
Woizek

So the last time I played this game was August last year.

Now I reinstall, launch and the main menu screen looks like this:

izhS1PK.png

This is how the Options menu looks like:

7mfJTxJ.png

I have to start the game in the Debug mode and then everything seems to be ok but there are still a few graphical glitches, like the figure in the middle:

kZjNgji.png

Now since I can play with the Debug mode on it's not a matter of life and death but still, anyone any idea why is this happening?

Thanks!

Windows 10: loading/crash issues

Whenever I boot up AoW3 in Windows 10, the client boots to the main start screen without all assets. As examples, the player model is missing some textures (e.g. eyes without a face), and none of the buttons are labeled. The attached screenshot shows an example of the missing assets here. If I choose the center option to Continue a game, the game loads in fine. If I exit out to the title screen afterward, all assets load in.

I'm also having some crash issues that started at the time of this display issue. Sometimes, when I initiate a combat, the screen begins zooming in and fading to indicate a transition to the tactical battle, and this will throw me back to the desktop. I'm also having problems with some of the wraparound to a level, such as the third art transition in a campaign intro sequence failing to load and being stuck in a black screen.

This game has run fine on this Windows 10 PC before, and I updated the Radeon display driver too to see if that might fix the issue (it didn't).

Thanks,
Taraka Dark

Seems we're having the same problem. Just curious - what card and CPU are you running. Also can you check your driver version? Just to compare. Thanks!

My little AOW3 OBEM group have frequent (every third or fourth turn) crashes to desktop. It happens when closing an information window inside tactical combat. It seems to be a clean kill of the AOW3.exe process with no information/pop-up.
Computer builds and makes vary between the players.

We are running the following mods:
1626383797232.png

Any advice and/or troubleshooting steps welcome,!

@Antiquado I don't play by email but I never had this kind of issue with PBEM & SP Balance mod.
As your group play with a limited number of large mods, and you seem to be quite precise about the circumstances when the bug happens, I'd start with testing with only one such mod at a time, and then, with two of them (plus compatibility patch) at a time. Other said, I'd try and see if the issue is PBEM + EBM, PBEM + APDM, or EBM + APDM.

@Antiquado I don't play by email but I never had this kind of issue with PBEM & SP Balance mod.
As your group play with a limited number of large mods, and you seem to be quite precise about the circumstances when the bug happens, I'd start with testing with only one such mod at a time, and then, with two of them (plus compatibility patch) at a time. Other said, I'd try and see if the issue is PBEM + EBM, PBEM + APDM, or EBM + APDM.
Thanks for the feedback, Rodmar.

We've discussed your method in the group. For reference, if other's experience the same:
- We can pretty much rule out Ayalin Premium Dreadnought Mod, as we've only recently started using that, and we've had this problem for ages.
- We have a weird abnormality in that a player in the group, who has joined within the last year has not experienced the problem, despite him having played up towards a 100 PBEM turns. So there's a risk that we are talking about effects of earlier mods/installs, or a specific hardware issue that most of us share. Some of us have changed computers while still experiencing this CTD (even changed GPU and CPU makes), so the guess is that a hardware problem is not very likely.
- It is my impression that all the mods, except the hatchling mod, are pretty commonly used. If we are seemingly the only ones experiencing this problem, the hatchling mod is probably the best contender to the throne.

Thanks, Rodmar - we will test over time, and I will provide feedback to this thread for reference.

[Skill] Blood Sacrifice

It doesn't work on a Dire Panther (Tigran Mystic).

On the screenshot, one hero marked the Dire Panther, then it was slain by another unit, and yet the other hero is still at 15 HP, plus I didn't get the very loud sound effect, with all the visuals.

[Skill] Explosive Death

When granted by Wicked Flame of Grauth

Attachments

• aow3_bloodSacrificeDirePanther.jpeg
    aow3_bloodSacrificeDirePanther.jpeg
    133,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
[Skill] Blood Sacrifice

It doesn't work on a Dire Panther (Tigran Mystic).

On the screenshot, one hero marked the Dire Panther, then it was slain by another unit, and yet the other hero is still at 15 HP, plus I didn't get the very loud sound effect, with all the visuals.

[Skill] Explosive Death

When granted by Wicked Flame of Grauth (thanks to PBEM/Decodence), at least, it doesn't prevent resurgence of an hero by mean of Warlord's Phoenix spell. I don't know what if this happens when Explosive Death comes from another source.
Are you really sure the hero was not at 5 HP? But yes, it seems Blood Boon was not triggered.

Explosive Death and Resurgence: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Resurgence Resurgence is not prevevented by corpse explosion.
Maybe edit your post or delete it, since the second is not bug?

Last edited:
If I understand correctly the screenshot and report, green hero marked the Dire Panther, blue unit slew it, and then:
  • no healing was reported in the combat log;
  • no sound nor effect was played;
  • focused hero was (still) at 15 hp, meaning, if Blood Sacrifice had worked, that she was at 5 hp (?). I don't remember why I highlighted her in red; perhaps I thought that the hp gain was +15 (and then it was a valid proof, as it was impossible for her to have 0 hp before Blood Sacrifice effect).
Please, see also this report on Steam. Devs have registered the bug, as it seems.

Bug with Archon Dwelling, Chant of Unlife not working

Quote; Victoria user from steam.

Issue:
"...What this does according to description is that it heals undead units garrinsoned in the city every turn, and , when combat takes place in the center of the dwelling, it instantly reanimates corpses of Humanoid creatures (tigrans humans elves etc) into Archon Revenant Infantry.
Now, it does heal the units.. but the second part of the reanimation never really worked. I have Merlin constantly attacking the city on her centered tile, and in battle nothing ever gets reanimated, nor is there an enchantment active...."

Very rare bug encountred.

[Game Concepts][Localization] Missing links for DLC3 alignment specialization skills

In Game_Concepts_DLC3.xml: localized entries (all but English) lack links to "XXX Adept Skills" and "XXX Master Skills" pages (XXX = Peacekeeper, Grey Guard, Shadowborn). They only link to "Specializations" page.
Code:
SPEC_SHADOWBORN
SPEC_GREYGUARD
SPEC_TORCHBEARER
@DESCRIPTION

It is very unconvenient, because spec skills can't be accessed by browsing through skills; they have to be explicitly linked to (as in, e.g. AIR@DESCRIPTION in Game_Concepts.xml).

It is very easy to correct by copying and pasting the links from the English cell, and then translating those page names in other languages.

Also, SPEC_SHADOWBORN and SPEC_GREYGUARD lack an ending period in their description in English.