• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rythin

General
44 Badges
Apr 18, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Semper Fi
  • The Showdown Effect
Hi.
I was thinking about British commonwealth - this something doesn't exist in MDS currently. I think Canada, Australia and all those little things should be a vassals of Britain [protectorat, or something]. Any objections?

Stay tuned.

I wouldn't put them as vassals, maybe a RM shoud suffice as a link between those countries?

labalag said:
I wouldn't put them as vassals, maybe a RM shoud suffice as a link between those countries?

I agree, vassalship would be a little much.

I don't know if you remember, but RM is non-agression pact here :D Maybe alliance+some money-eating events for Australia and Canada?

there really needs to be a way to model alliances differently than eu2. today nations have multiple alliances (us is in nato, seato, and has smaller alliances from time to time to form coalitions). should the uk, canada, and australia always be in the same "coalition"?

what would be a pain to script but we be cool is to have the un, nato, etc all have different benefits for membership. when you join (or are a member of) the un, you get royal marriages with everyone, and guarantees. nato could include military access. alliances in eu2 could be coalitions. in 2003, the us, britain, spain, poland, and other "allied" against iraq, even though they are also members of nato and the un already.

-Matt

Rythin said:
Hi.
I was thinking about British commonwealth - this something doesn't exist in MDS currently. I think Canada, Australia and all those little things should be a vassals of Britain [protectorat, or something]. Any objections?

Stay tuned.
What is your justification? Just because the Crown Commonwealth have the same monarch as the UK doesn't mean that they pay 50% of their tax income to her.

Yeah, the idea of making Canada + Australia Vassals is quite absurd. Seeing as how Australia nearly broke away form the commonwealth in a referendum a few years back I belive. I live in Canada, and would LOVE to see her become a Free Republic. Right now we're giving our Governor General 150,000 a year for nothing.

Oh, BTW, as you're a Canadian - how big is decentralisation there? I've heard there was a referendum about Quebec independency and most western provinces feel rather free...

Rythin said:
Oh, BTW, as you're a Canadian - how big is decentralisation there? I've heard there was a referendum about Quebec independency and most western provinces feel rather free...

Personally I think Canada is very decentralized except in Quebec. Cities have many powers, same for provinces and a coalition of all the province can change the constitution but the federal government can't change it. In my mod I used these values (I'm "extremist" when it comes to domestic policies... either you are centralized (10) or not (0):

Aristocracy: 3 (Symbolic powers and dissolution powers of the representative of the Queen and the importance of the province queens representatives and federal representative of the queen).
Centralization: 2 (Lot of powers to the province and cities, provinces can have different laws, education and health system and can dissolve Canada (by changing the constitution).
Innovative: 8 (we're talking in the terms of an historic game, and canada is ranked 19th (denmark is first) in the World by Reporters without borders for the freedom of speech, press retaliation and respect of human rights group, homewer it refuse to let provinces declare independance (unlike UK) and to me both of those reasons are a cause to lose -2 towards traditionalistic values/narrow-mindness).
Mercantilism: 1 (gain +1 because it's part of a trade agreement with mexico and US and trade agreement tend to favor a(some) country(ies) against other(s). Homewer canada never embargoed any countries (like Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran) except when health security was believed to be in cause.
Offensive: 2 (gain +1 because of participation in War in Iraq and afghanistan and because of a recent quarrel with Spain that almost evolved into a war - frigates were deployed and the army seized fishing vessels - (fish war between february 1995 and may 1995.
Land: 4 (lose -4 towards naval because Canadian navy is highly technological, the US frequently ask canadian to lead joint naval training because canadian frigates are very good at detecting submarines. Canada also have around 110 aircrafts and helicopters(-2 towards naval) (F18-D/E mainly and air support for the land army). Canadian land army is often used in UN mission(but their land army lacks technology they are using old german leopard tanks and old swiss APCs) canada also contribute a lot to UN peacekeeping missions.
Quality: 8 (canada has a "professional army" and training facilities. Basically you need to have done university to be an army officier and get the big jobs (such as pilot) college is the minimum to join army (but you can finish your college/university with army-paid grants. Also there is no conscription it's all volunteer (for the moment being...) they have an anti-terrorist elite force (joint strike force based in ottawa) and SWAT units in the state and province polices forces. But they aren't as trained as say USA/UK or Russia and they don't have much war experience.
Serfdom: 0 (Canada is ranked 5th for the quality of life in the world and it's a representative democracy where peoples elects both the legislative and executive assembly representatives and the head of the state.)

For Quebec (and I won't explain) I think the values would be aristocracy: 0 centralization: 6
innovative: 6 (mainly because of harsh languages and culture laws and because of the nationalism movements which is mainly based on the "wrongs" they perceive canada/UK has done them in the past)
mercantilism: 3 (a lot like canada but there is a lot of important trade laws (like price of milk/bread) and major state companies(Hydro-Quebec)/investment companies biased towards quebec monopolies (those investment companies - the biggest in canada with a portfolio of 125 billions $ put major investments in quebec companies like Videotron, Quebec, etc)
offensive: 1 (Like canada but quebec acts weak imho when dealing with "revolts" like unions strikes (a lot of powers are given to state unions here and doctors/road murderers cannot be sued)
land: 5 (I imagine it would be a compromise between land forces and naval forces because of the st-lawrence river, the gulf of st-lawrence, artic colonies and the access to atlantic ocean and the need to continue UN peacekeeping efforts)
quality: 6 (mostly because of lack of training)
serfdom: 1 (language laws but it's a democracy that works like canada and high quality of life)

As for the main question informations on Commonwealth and Francophonie (French Commonwealth):
http://www.francophonie.org/ (in French)
For members click on Les membres->Etats et gouvernements membres
You'll see countries like Egypt, Senegal, Morocco, Quebec, Canada, Belgium(French community), Belgium so I think it shouldnt be included in MDS because it's not reality a military alliance. What it bring mainly is a "collaboration" and trade agreements (mostly trade) between those governments, an alliance tv channel and radio station (TV5) and access to "Les Jeux de la Francophonie" some sort of olympics games for the members of that alliance. I believe it's about the same advantages for the Commonwealth(they have some sort of olympics games for commonwealth countries too). France would help Canada in case of major wars because of NATO not because of francophonie. And Canada had an embargo on european and asiatic meat products and I believe it still has one. I also think that both these organization will be the first defense against aggression between their members. I'm not saying it will prevent a war. But I'm saying that if two countries need a neutral grounds to negociate and are members of francophonie for example france may call them to negociate some treaties in Paris before it goes to UN or NATO. (Because there is some kind of "attachment" between them. Most members of francophonie and commonwealth are old french/england colonies or countries that are/was under french or english administration. Egypt is there because they showed interest in promoting French and because France went there in Suez war.
Malta is member of commonwealth for the same reason.

There is an article on Commonwealth site about how the alliance can help prevent wars: http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Templates/System/LatestNews.asp?NodeID=141117
Commonwealth members: http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=20724
You can click on the name of the countries on both sites(francophonie, commonwealth) to learn why they are members. (Australia is still a member btw because the head of state is Queen Elizabeth II - just like Canada- :

Head Of State: HM Queen Elizabeth II represented by Governor-General Major-General Michael Jeffery
)

Rythin said:
You are sure you don't want to support MDS? :D
What I'm doing is basically an ahistorical scenario using MDS flags/shield and today countries (most of them anyway) to have fun in my own way to fun in this game. I fear that if I start posting revolts files, DP values for countries, etc there might be more "argument" than work because the countries represented in MDS are today countries and a lot of peoples love their countries and don't like it when strangers say bad things about their countries.

For example I included Quebec in the revolt file and random events that could lead to quebec secession and I know it's a very "touchy" issue. So I'll contribute with informations but I'm not gonna start a fork of MDS or join the team.

Australia is still part of the Crown Commonwealth because Elizabeth II is the head of state. However, Australia is a member of the Commonwealth because she is a former British colony, and the same applies to the rest of the Commonwealth, including Canada. While there are many Commonwealth members whose head of state is not also Queen of Britain, there is only one member of the Commonwealth who was never under British sovereignty, which, if I remember correctly, is Mozambique. I seem to remember they asked to join in 1995, and the Commonwealth said, "yeah, why not?"

Commonwealth

And don't forget you don't have to have te queen as the head of state to be in the commonwealth eg. India.....

Say Australia did become a republic, it doesn't mean that britain should have
-200 relation and CB because the queen said that if we wanted to become a republic the british government wouldn't interfere. Besides it wouldn't have made a difference on whether she approved or not. :(