• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Riekopo

Field Marshal
38 Badges
Apr 24, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
Does anyone know if Bocage country is in the game? I think maybe it should be. Kind of a big deal for the fighting around Normandy. Big defensive advantage. Tactics had to be changed to deal with it. Vehicles had to be modified.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was actually thinking about this the other day. But - it would affect how many tiles exactly? I don’t think it warrants implementing separate terrain.

Reactions:
I'm thinking maybe it should be a kind of terrain sub-type. As in the main terrain is still the same but Bocage is a secondary modifier on the terrain that would probably give the defender an advantage.

Bocage terrain Data:

1589912319060.png

Oops!

Wrong WW2 grand strategy game.

;)

Reactions:
Nope, but then again, what's going to be different from forests?

Can someone tell what the terrain in Normandy is like?

Narrow roads with 1-2m embankments on both sides and topped with dense hedges and trees. So you have short visibility and could walk into an ambush at anytime.

Try to Google image bocage roads etc.

Narrow roads with 1-2m embankments on both sides and topped with dense hedges and trees. So you have short visibility and could walk into an ambush at anytime.

Try to Google image bocage roads etc.

Yes, I know what it is like in reality, what's it like in hoi4? Is it plains, Hills or forests? What would make the game effects different from forests?

Hürtgenwald was every bit as bad as bocage, but that was merely forest. I hence argue that the terrain effect is not as important as where you put up stiff defense.

Reactions:
Looks like around two and two half provinces (two of which are already hills)
According to the map, the two provinces bordering Cherbourg and the three hill provinces to the southeast could all have Bocage Terrain.

And there were similar areas in Southern England. Allied troops trained there before D-Day, and they would have improved British defences during Operation Sea Lion.

Still, what would make bocage different from forests or hills in hoi4?
I guess the difference would be too small to notice.

But maybe we'll see terrain modifiers introduced that make bocage defenders gain +30% hard attack, see ravines with murderous movement penalties or glaciers atop of mountains, barring any meaningful military Mission.

but HOI4 is too high level.

So that's why we micromanage individual spies, down to the date they're broken out of jail if captured, instead of giving broad strokes on what we want from our intelligence agency and allocating the necessary resources to it? ;)

In all seriousness, HoI4 has quite a few of these "self-contradictions". I'm not sure the devs themselves quite have a clear picture of what exactly HoI4 should be. Currently it seems like it's trying to be too many things at once, and this in my opinion is hurting the game.

Reactions:
..... Currently it seems like it's trying to be too many things at once, and this in my opinion is hurting the game.

may be we could take this as a reason, to be a bit more "cautious" with suggestions, which don't solve any important "issues" ?

Reactions:
So that's why we micromanage individual spies, down to the date they're broken out of jail if captured, instead of giving broad strokes on what we want from our intelligence agency and allocating the necessary resources to it? ;)

In all seriousness, HoI4 has quite a few of these "self-contradictions". I'm not sure the devs themselves quite have a clear picture of what exactly HoI4 should be. Currently it seems like it's trying to be too many things at once, and this in my opinion is hurting the game.
I always thought of spies as an abstract mini game that glosses over the minutiae of espionage in favour of high profile (usually) successes.
Anyway, I fail to perceive a gain for the game by adding another terrain that would affect 4 provinces on either side of the Channel - and war, by Extension.

Reactions:

Yeh and I put this down to them trying to market something as appealing to the general audience. Imagine HOI4 is not your favourite game or on your favourite games list...

You browse on Steam and you see this espionage war game... The spies all have portraits and you can send them on missions and choose the extraction. I am now going to "power buy" this game because it looks awesome.

If you implement spies in an abstract way that fits the game more from a high level but It's a whole lot more boring to the average player.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Bocage terrain Data:

View attachment 579711

Oops!

Wrong WW2 grand strategy game.

;)

Which game is that?

Speaking of hex-based games, I recently bought The Art of Operational War IV and I'm having a blast. Should've done this years ago. War in the East is still on my to-do list, despite owning a copy for quite some time now. Now if only there existed a game with the same level of realism, but on the entire world map, with politics and economics included, and in real-time (as opposed to being turn-based)... Something I wish HoI would've been. :p