• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tsf4

General
58 Badges
May 31, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
So, I am asking the community's input on bloodlines. So, I have started implementing them, but have found out that the old blood traits are quite useful, and really going from trait to bloodline you lose some things which effects the AI and how chars with it operate, but gain the new bloodline effects. In short, bittersweet.

Also, the conflagration which is Lux history can make it hard to pinpoint who gets a bloodline since its done dynamically through bloodline inheritance. See, with traits, we could more conveniently control who gets the trait and who doesn't (very handy). Set it as patrilineal inheritance, and perhaps not enough chars get the bloodline, set it as all descendants and perhaps all of Europe's royal blood gets it. See why trait for this works better.

My thought is to keep the trait, and the bloodline, but change it up a bit. Bloodline can cover some stat changes and such, as well as give the effect they are famous for, like great heroes showing up since your character is a descendant of Augustus or Alexander. But the trait can be used for the items which cannot be given through bloodline, and can be like "strong traces of Alexander's blood course through this character's veins", which makes sense due to the way the AI will act a bit different with these traits, and this "act" cannot work with the bloodlines, or at least is not stated to work with them but very well could.

So, sorry for the babbling, but I hope this helps explain how I feel about the bloodlines/traits, and I want to hear what you guys think. Keep in mind, I am the developer here, so I am not going to implement something just because RandomDudeX says what he thinks. But, RandomDudeX's thinking might influence my decision! Also, if I hear from the older dev team members, there thoughts and ideas will have more clout with my eventual final decision.

Good thought. It really hinges on the fact that I'm not confident in the bloodline's ability to give itself to the right people, and on if the ai_zeal, ai_ambition, etc still work in the game. If one of these can be proved, I'd be set on keeping traits.

But my inclination is to just use bloodlines, and trusting the game to deliver the bloodline to the right people :)

Good thought. It really hinges on the fact that I'm not confident in the bloodline's ability to give itself to the right people, and on if the ai_zeal, ai_ambition, etc still work in the game. If one of these can be proved, I'd be set on keeping traits.

But my inclination is to just use bloodlines, and trusting the game to deliver the bloodline to the right people :)
In my experience there were cases where the bloodlines didn't assign as wanted. For example the dynasties of Ptolemy-Caesarion and Ptolemy-Antony due to patrilineal inheritance. For those dynasties I believe the solution is making Cleopatra married to each matrilineally.

Yeah, I'd rather not mess with marriages and the like to get them to work.

Bloodlines can be a bit finnicky in terms of inheritance. What I would do is keep the traits, but add bloodlines for particularly notable characters, where claiming direct descent is a big thing.

It also opens up things like being able to claim your family is descended from a god, a messiah figure, or some mystical creature

Last edited:
Excellent thought, as well. Could even have a decision if you have the trait to claim an even greater piece of your heritage, which would be the bloodline. but only if you have a good amount of prestige, piety, etc etc.

Another good idea, I centered on the prestige and piety requirement because its harder to come by in Lux than vanilla.

Ok, so traits are going to stay, and characters have the option to take a decision to "advance" their blood relation to the ancestor. This gives them and their kids the bloodline, which will contain a few more stat improvements as well as the bloodline "feature".

Thanks for the input! :)

Hopefully with these changes, some bloodlines can survive a bit longer. It's disappointing that dynasties nearly two millennium old can die out five years into the game cause the sole member of the dynasty croaks due to RNG.

Yeah, I agree. If the character takes some time from their successes and demonstrates some piety to his familial tradition, then they get a bloodline for the ages :)