Black lines by the coast - yea or nay?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tissaia

Sergeant
47 Badges
Dec 4, 2019
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
In answer to the question will black lines by the coasts stay Johan said "maybe", so apparently it's still changeable. I wanted to see what's the popular opinion on them?

Personally I'd really want them removed or at least massively reduced. It's not so bad when you have a relatively "uncomplicated" coastline like the parts of Black Sea we saw, but when you have anything more complex than that (islands, lagoons, fiords) it spoils otherwise very pretty map.

What do you all think about it?

Edit: added example - black "shadows" around Greek islands.

czarne.png

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
No, please, or at least way more thin so it doesn't seem as the land is floating somehow over a plain of water.

And those curved shapes of the coastal sea provinces doesn't fit with the rest of the straight shapes of non-coastal ones. Or all straight, or all curved, but not a mix.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think they're good for the zoomed out map, it's easier to see the black outline over small dots. But when zoomed in, they are a bit intrusive on visibility and I would prefer a more vibrant, colourful look.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't mind that much, although after closer look they do make a weird impression as if landmass was some paper sticked on top of the blue layer.

Reactions:
The hash marks? I think it looks bad. Maybe signify coastal waters a different way, a lighter shade, shallower water, just an idea

• 3Like
Reactions:
I like it

Reactions:
I'm talking about these black shadows by the coasts and around islands. In more zoomed-in maps you can see they are made of lots of lines.
Thanks for the clarification. Now that I'm aware of them, I think that if they weren't there you wouldn't be able to see many of the extremely small islands, which would look weirder than them being there. So I'm in favor of them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The shading? Personally I like it. Makes the map 'pop'. Also, I've got bad eyesight, so it improves visual delineation of coastlines for me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looking at this screenshot, I honestly cannot find the lines you're talking about. So I don't think it's a problem.
1711626366054.png

I think the clearest example is seen here, where the purple above the Karasids looks like it's separated by a small circular river, and the same can be said about the border between the Karasids and the Ottomans.

I'm not entirely opposed to the black borders fwiw, but I do think it is noticeable (if you go out of your way to look for it).

Reactions:
I posted a suggested sketch of a map with an alternative replacing the dark lines-hatch by the coast. I leave down here the link to it.

Welp, I've changed my mind. This sketch is a lot better than the screenshot Johan posted. The cleaner and brighter sea tiles are really nice, and my concern about not being able to see the tiny islands was clearly misplaced.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If it stays as it is could you make a mod? I'm totally ignorant of those issues; no idea, how much work that would be.

Yes, I did a bit of map modding in EUIV a few years ago, and I think I would be able to make a mod if it's not harder, although someone more experienced than me would make it better for sure.

Yes, I did a bit of map modding in EUIV a few years ago, and I think I would be able to make a mod if it's not harder, although someone more experienced than me would make it better for sure.
Great.
Let's hope they will change it before release, but if not, at least you already created a blueprint of how to fix it.

• 1Like
Reactions: